Triumph Overpriced?

eweiss1979

About 3 days ago the Triumph rates were raised. The new rates per person per night are now consistently higher than the Magic for the same weeks?

That doesn't make any sense. Any thoughts for why Carnival would do that? Triumph is usually a lot cheaper than Magic.

pretty much everything out of galveston is consistently 'overpriced' - or more accurately, command higher fares given demand.

the shorter cruises also tend to command a higher fare per person per day than the longer cruises, so that could be part of the equation.

i've seen a few magic prices posted (especially around spring break) that really had me scratching my head... magic has typically been one of the highest priced cruises pp pd since it was a 'new ship'. galveston cruises typically always command a premium because demand is high.

I get that Galveston usually commands higher prices. But usually Triumph doesn't out class the Magic. Even the sailings in 2017 by Breeze out of Galveston are lower priced than Triumph for the same weeks of 2016. Something ain't right with their equation. Unless they just really want to direct all ticket sales to the larger ships for right now.

I get that Galveston usually commands higher prices. But usually Triumph doesn't out class the Magic. Even the sailings in 2017 by Breeze out of Galveston are lower priced than Triumph for the same weeks of 2016. Something ain't right with their equation. Unless they just really want to direct all ticket sales to the larger ships for right now.

actually i've been watching triumph and magic very closely for a while (recently moved from houston), and triumph often has, though not always, 'out classed' magic. which i never thought made much sense either...

in terms of anomalous seeming pricing from galveston though, consider that triumph was the 'short cruise ship', which has its own demand that often may exceed that for the 7 days... that they also just added freedom, so increased supply by some measure less than 1/3 - yes a third ship but it's like goldilocks - 'small' / medium and large, it will take a little time for demand to 'equalize', especially when you consider people that booked a year in advance, etc. at the different time points - triumph could me 'more full' than freedom, since its dates were released so much further ago...

it also does not make sense that triumph's 4 day cruises are often more expensive than the 5 days... but that has it's own measure of demand (less days away from home or work), and that has been the case... it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

and for breeze, well those sailings JUST opened up, and so the ship is not near full at this point, expect those prices to rise as they start to book up...

galveston is in a situation of a wealth of riches atm with recent announcements. it will take a little while for things to equal out

actually i've been watching triumph and magic very closely for a while (recently moved from houston), and triumph often has, though not always, 'out classed' magic. which i never thought made much sense either...

in terms of anomalous seeming pricing from galveston though, consider that triumph was the 'short cruise ship', which has its own demand that often may exceed that for the 7 days... that they also just added freedom, so increased supply by some measure less than 1/3 - yes a third ship but it's like goldilocks - 'small' / medium and large, it will take a little time for demand to 'equalize', especially when you consider people that booked a year in advance, etc. at the different time points - triumph could me 'more full' than freedom, since its dates were released so much further ago...

it also does not make sense that triumph's 4 day cruises are often more expensive than the 5 days... but that has it's own measure of demand (less days away from home or work), and that has been the case... it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

and for breeze, well those sailings JUST opened up, and so the ship is not near full at this point, expect those prices to rise as they start to book up...

galveston is in a situation of a wealth of riches atm with recent announcements. it will take a little while for things to equal out

Thanks for the reply. I guess you have been following the rates longer than me. I was surprised by the sudden rate hike 3 days ago. Been watching them because I have an Early Saver booked on Triumph in March 7 2016. For 5 people in 4G after taxes the total was $1718.90. That same booking now would cost $2808.90 . I looked at the inventory and the ship still seems empty. I can understand adjusting a little bit the rates over time but that seems like a huge jump to me.

Edited by eweiss1979

holy rusted metal batman (a reference to both batman&robin, and older ships lol), that is a huge increase. so i do entirely understand why you're questioning it.

a few things:

i probably have been watching fares longer than you have. and they've often not made sense for triumph vs. magic

the shorter cruises are often much higher priced. but many people can't take the longer ones, hence the demand. the ctn for vista out of new york is something like $220 pp pd. what? same thing applies to the 4 and 5 days on triumph. they've got you on the hook.

carnival adjusts their prices on a ship-by-ship sort of basis, where they think demand is strong. carnival sunshine (destiny) is a prime example. it's an old ship with a (granted extensive) facelift, but it is almost always more than breeze - their newest, 'best' ship...

carnival 'beards' have eluded to the fact that they are going to forgo slashing prices to fill ships. that they want the prices to remain strong on all bookings...

granted, there has been a consistent series of 'free cruises' to anyone who gambles, walked on one of their ships 5 years ago, or are one of their best customers... this seemingly entirely random series of 'giveaways' continues to this day, but it seems they'd rather do that than cut prices. (which granted, they still do to SOME extent, but they're no longer 'always' the 'lowest price' option, and are often MORE expensive)...

in short, there's no easy answer to your question. but i feel your pain.

i'd been looking at cruises from galveston pretty constantly - and never understood why a shorter cruise on triumph was more pp pd than even at that time 'the best, newest ship' - but it most often was.

i ended up sailing on triumph anyway with a lido balcony, and loved it. i'm sure you will too :)

and since you're early saver - just watch it. i guarantee you you'll see a lot of volatility in pricing between now and then :D

Edited by falkcor

March 18, 2016 Liberty will be in Galveston. That would be 4 ships. Seems to me one would be repo sometime in March 2016. Haven't seen anything on that as of yet. Waiting, watching....

Spring break, March, and Easter holidays always bring on higher prices also.