What's the earliest flight I can catch out of BCN after med. cruise?

I can get airfare for $800 on an Iberia flight that leaves at 9:40 am out of Barcelona after our cruise (next June). Can I make this flight? Has anyone flown on Iberia?

RCI was going to charge us $1150 for air, so, I thought $800 sounded pretty good (from the midwest).

Travelalot2,

Work backwards,

You have to check in at least 2 hours before your flight.

The cab takes about 20 minutes. and the walk from your drop off to check in will be about 10 min.

This is supposing you don't have a long line for cabs at the pier, I'd allow about 30 min for possible line time

So 3 hours from getting off the ship is a safe time,

So you need to be off the ship by 6.40 at the latest.

Just as an FYI, several airlines flying out of Barcelona will not allow you to check in more than two hours before your flight (Aer Lingus and Iberia among them).

You could pre-arrange a taxi pick up at the pier, which would eliminate the wait for a cab, but you will likely get stuck in traffic on the way to the airport, especially on a weekday. 9:40 is probably cutting it too close, but 10:30 should be fine barring any unforeseen debarkation problems.

Just a suggestion ... grab the airfare bargain for the following morning ... book a hotel for the day of arrival (~120 euros for a nice room) ... enjoy the day in BCN and then leave early the next morning. You'll be money ahead and get to spend the day in a beautiful city.

I have to disagree. 9:40 is doable. ON RCL Disemabarkation started at 7:15 and it would be no problem arranging to get this time. If you arranged a taxi before hand you could be at the airport by 8 at the latest. which still leaves 90 minutes. I had a later flight and was one of the last groups off and was still at the airport by 9:15

I agree with staying one night in Barcelona and then going out first thing the next morning. We did this last year and will again next year. RCCL does a great job (the best, in fact) of getting you off the ship fairly easily, but it is still pretty close. I would take the deal on airfare also, and spend a little money for one night in Barcelona. It is a great city. You would still come out ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back on Aug 29 from BCN and the Brilliance. We too found air fare a little over $800 but like you didn't feel we could make that early Iberia flight. We decided to stay in BCN after leaving the ship (debarkation starts around 7-730 am) and are SO glad we did. We arranged to be picked up at the pier and headed straight to Hotel Majestic (got on priceline.com for $140 US) and then walked to guided tour bus station for 1/2 day tour and then spent rest of afternoon exploring and having a wonderful lunch. We were then able to leave on even earlier flight the next morning and home sooner. Just a suggestion........

Just a suggestion ... grab the airfare bargain for the following morning ... book a hotel for the day of arrival (~120 euros for a nice room) ... enjoy the day in BCN and then leave early the next morning. You'll be money ahead and get to spend the day in a beautiful city.

Great suggestion. We did the red eye from New York to Barcelona on 9/1 and never again. I'll fly during the day the day before and enjoy a day in what ever city my ship leaves from next time.

Returned from BOS Med. Cruise on August 29th. We had an 11:20 flight out of Barcelona. We enjoy coming home on the day we disembarked as I am one of those folks who loves going on holidays but am ususally anxious to get home as well. We arrived at the airport at about 9;30am. We were the 3rd color to be called and waited approx. 30 minutes in the bus for our transfer to the airport. The first color to be called was 8:20am. We were concerned about making our flight after being assigned the 3rd color but disembarkation is much different in Barcelona than in the US. We were off the boat, picked up our luggage and in the bus within 15 minutes. Had we taken a cab, we would have been at the airport by 9am. I believe RCI only garantees departures after 10:30am. Even then you run the risk of the locals not clearing the ship for disembarkation.

Archived