Gem Caribbean Cruise Review, 1/30/15 to 2/9 Part IV, St Maarten

Carnac767

The port call on February 5th was St Maarten in the Netherland Antilles. We had breakfast in Cagney's, as usual. That evening we also had dinner at Cagney's, with Thomas, as usual, our waiter. I had the crab salad, split pea soup, and New York strip. The soup was more like a vegetable soup, but it was delicious. The steak was done perfectly. Sarah had the shrimp cocktail, baked potato soup, and sea bass. Her soup was excellent, she said, and the sea bass the best she'd ever had. We caught the nine p.m. show, titled "Around the World," which featured the Gem Production Company. It was a collection of songs and dancing associated with countries around the world, such as Spanish Flamenco, Chinese acrobats, and so forth. The highlight, for us, was the Irish dancing, which was terrific.

We were in St. Maarten the day after our stop in St. Thomas. I've been to St. Maarten before but have never ventured past Simpson's Bay. Today we were booked on NCL's Orient Bay Beach excursion, which cost $69 PP. We weren't leaving on the excursion until almost ten, giving us plenty of time to get off the ship and wander through the shops at the pier. Downtown Phillipsburg is about a 30-minute walk from the pier, a $5 cab ride, or $7 roundtrip for a water taxi. St. Maarten is about 38 square miles in area, with France owning the northern half and the Netherlands owning the rest. The official currency on the Dutch side is the Guilder while the Euro is used in the French half. Not to worry, though, because both sides speak fluent U.S. dollar and all the prices are in dollars.

At 9:50 we boarded our bus for the twenty minute ride to Orient Bay, which is on the French side of St. Martin. The southern side is Sint Maarten; Saint Martin is the northern half. The island was named by Columbus for Saint Martin of Tours. Interestingly enough, St. Martin is the patron saint of both wine growers and recovering alcoholics, so he has the market cornered.

Some travelers, especially those of the easily offended variety, are concerned about the relaxed clothing standards on the French side of the island. Indeed, there is a nude beach near the Orient Bay Beach, but unless one goes looking for sights, the nudists tend to keep to their part of the beach. Several of the women in our tour immediately removed their tops and let their girls loose. I might add that these were women of a certain age, as the French say. And there were a few men wandering the beach wearing banana hammocks. It all just goes to prove there's a reason God invited clothing. Some sights just can't be unseen. But seriously, there were just a handful of topless women. The Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition is more scandalous.

We were provided with a welcome rum punch. A virgin variety is also available, if one is so inclined. A beach chair is provided for everyone but an umbrella is three bucks extra. Water craft are available to rent for an additional expense. Prowling the beach are souvenir vendors and women offering to braid hair. They can be a nuisance but it's best just to ignore them. Hair braiding is charged per braid and one can spend over $300 if not paying attention.

It was a beautiful day to be at the beach. Did I mention it was sunny and 82? The water was on the cool side and there was a pretty good tidal surge. I spent most of my time lazing in my beach chair and reading my Kindle.

At 11:30 lunch was served at the beach restaurant. We had a choice of chicken, ribs, or Mahi Mahi, along with a starch and a salad. We also had a choice of beer, wine or water. I went with El Presidente again. He always gets my vote.

We were back on the bus around two for the short drive back to the port. The bus stopped in downtown for those who wanted to get off there, and then continued to the pier. There was plenty of time remaining until sailing to do all the shopping one desired. I was interested in looking for a Seiko GPS watch but the supposedly great prices here were double what they are on Amazon.

Gem was having a Welcome Back party on the pier for returning passengers. The CD staff was out dancing, led by Dan Dan, the cruise director. Ice cold towels were handed out, as well as frozen treats and fruit juice. The passengers from the many other cruise lines had to walk past our ship and see what a great time we were having.

All in all, I'd say Orient Beach is a decent excursion, though it felt a bit rushed. The beach was crowded but not unbearably so. I like the beaches at Simpson Bay better.