Empress 4day/3night questions

DH, myself and another couple are sailing Empress on 10/6 for DH's 40th birthday. I'm having a heck of a time finding menus for this cruise - tried Cruise Clues already, but nothing there for the Empress - does anyone know which cruise might have the same menus so I can look them up from another ship? Does anyone know when formal night is? We want to do Portofino's one night, but I like to look at the dining room menus ahead of time so we can choose the night to eat in Portofino's. Ya know, now that I think of it, I guess the only night that we'll eat in the dining room is on formal night. We're in port in Cozumel one night and will have dinner at Portofino's one, so that only leaves one night in the dining room anyway. Ok, long question short - what night is formal night? Also, does anyone know how the shows are on this cruise? Thanks!

Gina

There's a thread under roll calls for our cruise - post a note there - there's just our group and one other there now. Hopefully we'll get everyone finding the thread and be able to meet at some point. I see you were on SOS in 2002 - we sailed her in 2004 and loved the ship, but were not impressed by the food. I understand that the whole fleet has undergone menu changes for the better, so we're hopeful that this time around will be better. I wish I could find those menus! I did find a couple of menus for Portofino's on CruiseClues, but they were two completely different ones, so I'm wondering if the Portofino menu changes from ship to ship. Anyone know?

Gina

Benjidog- I think this is just a coincidence, because my hubby and I were on our last RCCL cruise for our anniversary (and had a wonderful time), but I think you were talking to someone else? I didn't think that question was directed at me, but I also didn't want to be rude just in case! ;)

Gina

Benjidog- I think this is just a coincidence, because my hubby and I were on our last RCCL cruise for our anniversary (and had a wonderful time), but I think you were talking to someone else? I didn't think that question was directed at me, but I also didn't want to be rude just in case! ;)

Gina

Hi Gina,

I directed the question to jo1168. I guess I should have been more clear - sorry!!! We were talking on another thread, but she didn't go back there after her cruise. I saw she a posted on this one, so I was hoping she'd answer me here.

If your curious about why I asked her the question, they were leaving out of Miami when Katrina hit Florida, so they had to depart from Tampa instead. She was stressed out about her flight making it because it was the day of her cruise. All I knew is that she got her flight changed to Orlando and was renting a car to get to Tampa.

Sorry again for the confusion.

Sue

I was on the Empress back in May. I was on the 5 night, so I'm sure the formal night was different than it will be on yours. We had lobster one night on our cruise. It was very good, they had a variety of different appetizers that I had not had before and all was extremely good. I am a healthy eater and there was always something that was good and healthy at the same time :)

We had some really good shows while we were there, I am not sure if they will be the same since it was 4 months ago. Missed the magician but heard it was good. We had 2 shows by the Empress Performers, on was all Latin songs and dancers, it was very entertaining, if you like that style dance and song.

We did have an Olympic performer (from 1988, Gymnast) I thought what can he do on a ship? It was very entertaining, not only did he do some gymnastics but was funny and played piano also.

have a great trip :)

We just got off the Empress last week. Had a wonderful time as I'm sure you will. We did the 5-night to Key West and Grand Cayman. Some things to note about the ship:

1. No soft-serve icecream station

2. No locker rooms, showers, steam room, or sauna in the gym. However, very nicely equipped gym if you're interested.

3. If you get to the deck prior to 11AM, you should have no problem getting several lounge chairs together.

4. They close down certain portions of the Windjammer dining room at certain times of the day. Not sure why but it makes for some crowded dining.

5. Shows were typical cruise fare but entertaining. Do not miss their version of the Newlywed Game. It was a hoot. In our opinion the commedian was not all that funny.

6. Lobster tail was on the last night but we were informed by our waiter (we had the late seating) that they may run short, especially if you requested more than one. To be honest, not much meat in the tails and you may be better selecting something else.

7. It may be because of the smaller size and not much room for storage, but we continually had large laundry carts 'parked' outside of our room and along the hallways on deck 4 filled with linins and dirty laundry. I found this to be very unprofessional and not something I expected to see on RCCL.

Have a great cruise!!!

You're kidding no soft serve ice cream? In May they had it, it was by the pool! Could they have taken the machine out?? We had ice cream everyday! Hope they haven't done that on all the ships! I don't want to have to pay extra for Ben and Jerry's. I prefer the soft serve!

I kid you not :) no softserve.

I'm like you, I so much prefer the softserv to the Ben & Jerry's any day. So many times during the week I just wanted something cool and the cone would have hit the spot.

Speaking of food by the pool...........the beverage station by the pool was out of ice more than they had it and also water would come out of the lemonade dispenser most of the time, same with the iced tea. Very annoying. Also, they always set up the afternoon poolside buffet in the direct sunlight and you would see the american cheese hardening around the edges, buns getting stale, etc. There was shade under the awnings so I don't know why they never set it up there? Didn't appear to be very healthy to me.

Gina

Just got off the Empress Monday on the four night with the Key West, Cozumel itinerary. We had a blast!

Here is what I remember from the menus:

1st night Prime Rib -- I know was there a fish and a pasta as well.

2nd night (Key West) was formal night. Filet, Duck

3rd night (Cozumel) Mexican night, but our waiter offered a NY strip as an alternative, so I had that -- very good! Also had a side of the seafood pasta - also good.

4th night (Sea Day) Had the chicken marsala, they also had scrimp scampi that looked very good. There were many wonderful appetizers and soups, but I can't remember what on which nights.

On sea day, we had lunch in the dining room, had an almond crusted trout and a roasted sweet potato soup --both were wonderful. Tablemates had the ribs and really liked them.

I liked the dining room much better than the Windjammer although I had a made-to-order omelet one morning in the Windjammer that was very good. Also liked the Belgian waffles.

We went to karaoke every time they had it -- was really fun --some really talented people there! (and a few people jsut having a good time!)

We also had fun at the pool party dancing and in the disco dancing.

Happy to answer any questions.

Hi Jules;

Thanks so much for the info. Did you go to any of the shows? I've been getting kind of mixed reviews, so I'd love your take on it if you did any of them. Almost everyone that I've talked to has been on Empress, but not this itinerary. We're really looking forward to our trip and appreciate everyone's insight!

Gina

Gina

I saw the comedian, Phil Tag, on the first night. He also did an adults only show at midnight on the last night. Thought he was pretty funny -- just don't come in late and come down front unless you don't mind being ridiculed!

Went to the Captain's Welcome Aboard Reception -- free drinks -- they bring around trays of champagne and red and white wine, but they would also bring anything you ask for. The Captain was worth showing up for -- very funny remarks. Then we watched the Jump Jivin' Swing. I know others feel differently, but I always enjoy the RC Singers and Dancers. They also did a show of the last night, Viva, in which they did songs from Evita, as well as others, e.g., Ricky Martin, Mamao Kings, Selena. I liked it -- enjoyed the music, costumes, energy.

On Day 3 Cozumel, they had a juggler comedian, Bill Prudhomme, and a magician. Did not go because we were just getting back from Cozumel and had some drama with lost driver's license and seapass cards -- turned out all right though!

Happy to keep answering questions.

We have been on the bigger ships and although, we were on the Empress years ago, I thought I might be disappointed. I wasn't at all. I actually liked the small size -- we got to know so many great people both crew and guests. Try everything -- you will have a wonderful time.

BMW325 - I wonder why they had no soft serve??? Maybe the machine was broken.

We had soft serve yogurt on our 8/20 - 8/25 sailing. It was out by the pool and was there from 12 p.m. - 5 p.m. My kids ate a ton of it - there was always a (short) line waiting for soft serve.

Archived