Leaving out of Baltimore when it's cold... what do you do when you first board?

On really cold days they have certain hours when kids can use the solarium pool...like 10-12 and 4-6...something like that. The solarium itself is always open to kids because the Park Cafe is there, they just can't get into the pool. Not even their toes...saw security tell a family just that!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Wow, I'm learning so much! I assumed kids weren't allowed in the Solarium at all... didn't know it was just the pool and hot tubs they weren't allowed in. OK, well that isn't so bad!

I live in Annapolis and have sailed out of Baltimore several times. I agree with exploring the boat, and as for boarding, baltimore is a great port, and if you arrive around 1100, you can board usually with little wait. Head up to the Windjammer for a bite. Your room is usually available around 1 or 2 PM. Ater the mandatory boat drill on deck, bundle up and watch the GOS move away from the dock and head out to the bay. There is a LOT of ice, much of it pilling up against shore and around channel markers.

But above all, run up to the pool deck before you go under the Key Bridge in Baltimore. When Grandeur passes under the bridge, it looks like she's too tall and will not make the clearance. If you stand by the pool bar you should be out of the wind and generally comfortable with a jacket. As the ship moves under the bridge have the kids LOOK UP. It's amazing how close the bridge deck is the the vessel. As the bridge deck moves aft toward the Grandeurs smoke stacks, the highest point of the ship, it really looks like it will hit the bridge deck.

The kids will love it !

Edited by runningtide

I live in Annapolis and have sailed out of Baltimore several times. I agree with exploring the boat, and as for boarding, baltimore is a great port, and if you arrive around 1100, you can board usually with little wait. Head up to the Windjammer for a bite. Your room is usually available around 1 or 2 PM. Ater the mandatory boat drill on deck, bundle up and watch the GOS move away from the dock and head out to the bay. There is a LOT of ice, much of it pilling up against shore and around channel markers.

But above all, run up to the pool deck before you go under the Key Bridge in Baltimore. When Grandeur passes under the bridge, it looks like she's too tall and will not make the clearance. If you stand by the pool bar you should be out of the wind and generally comfortable with a jacket. As the ship moves under the bridge have the kids LOOK UP. It's amazing how close the bridge deck is the the vessel. As the bridge deck moves aft toward the Grandeurs smoke stacks, the highest point of the ship, it really looks like it will hit the bridge deck.

The kids will love it !

That does sound like fun... I'm sure the kids will love it!

Also referring to pricing, we paid less for a 10 day Grandeur cruise than a 7 day cruise out of Florida...without airfare. Granted Grandeur is an older ship, but I would rather spend time on the ship getting to warm temps than spending the day flying and shuttling any day!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

DW and I feel the same way. For us, we drive to Baltimore the day before, enjoyed the late afternoon and evening. We have a good meal that evening, a good nights sleep and arrive at the terminal around 10:30. We are on board by 11:00 and enjoying our vacation.:)

Our group will be headed to the Solarium to visit. With my parents and sister coming from Vermont, my brother from Atlanta, my other brother, his wife, and their twin girls from Maryland, and my wife, daughter and I from South Carolina, we'll look forward to just visiting and catching up! Great tips on taking the kids outside to see us sailing away...this is our first time leaving from B'more so that'll be cool.

As I type, hail is hitting my office window...I didn't move to SOUTH Carolina for this! :) Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

Edited by thekob

So was the Solarium open for families/kids on embarkation day too? That would be perfect! I imagine though that many adults would be disappointed to see kids in there if they were expecting to get away from them!:eek:

It is open. I think Park Cafe opens at 1pm or so. You will see some people with kids eating, but it is kind of frowned upon. However, we have headed over there at night for a late night snack and it is usually empty. Our son loved to grab a cookie or brownie after we picked him up at kids club.

I agree with the other people - get on early, go to WJ early (I think it opens by 11), grab lunch before crowd, and then explore ship. Go see where kids club is (upstairs from WJ), walk over to see Solarium and spa, check out gym, go see MDR and specialty restaurants, and then if you still have some time to kill, go up to VCL and rest till 1pm or so. Once your rooms are open, head down there.