IOS: Body Sculpt Boot Camp & Other Classes

Pen1993

Hi! I am hoping that previous cruisers of the IOS or similar ships that feature the Body Sculpting Boot Camp and Gravity Reformer would remember the cost to take either of those two classes. I called Cruise Planning and was told the boot camp was $120 and that seemed awfully high for a 45 minute class. I would greatly appreciate the input. TIA!

Edited by Pen1993

Boot camp is a series of 3-4 classes depending on the length of the cruise, usually works out to $25-35 per class, so a quote of $120 probably means 4 sessions @ $30/ea.

The class schedule is set by the gym, so you have to plan your other activities around them, and they reserve the right to cancel if enough people don't sign up (or show up) which often happens... I've been annoyed recently that they started canceling regular fitness classes if they're not well attended.

Be forewarned, this is a challenging program, not your typical cruise fitness class. I've done it twice and enjoy the workout... but both times I was one of only 2-4 people in the class...

The program does declining reps (16, 12, 8, 4, 2) of challenging bodyweight calisthenics moves, think squats and mountain climbers and burpees, done at a crossfit pace. Plus you get a take home guide to keep the workout going after the cruise.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the feedback. I figured as much on the price but the CP I had spoken to with RCCL seemed clueless. I Hope they do these classes during our cruise or I may have to download some kind of bootcamp video to follow on my own so I can maintain a strength-training program while on the ship. I hate the hamster-mills, though, Thanks for the info. I saw on an IOS Cruise Compass from last December that they also featured something called Gravity Reformer. You (or anyone else out there) wouldn't happen to know anything about that?

Thank you for sharing what the Body Sculpt Boot Camp entails. I go to Intensive Boot Camp three days a week while I'm home and would like to continue my work-out on a ship when I am cruising. I was happy to see Boot Camp offered, but thought the cost was ridiculous. I went up to the gym on three different cruises/ships at the time class was scheduled just to observe and see what they were doing that equated to such a high cost. I never saw a class taking place! The times offered are probably inconvenient to most although I understand the difficulty of scheduling a workout for folks on vacation. I guess I will stick to my land-based Boot Camp and take a complete vacation while on vacation!

I have not been on a ship yet that offers the gravity reformer, so no info on that.

If you need to stay focused, boot camp is not bad, you get good personal attention from trainer and an opportunity to get to know them better than in the big free classes... and less expensive than a private training session onboard at $75 plus auto tip...

Overall I'm kind of outraged that all of the upcharge items onboard, from drinks to photos to dining to gym classes, have moved from "nominal fees" (a nice way for the cruise line to make a few extra dollars off a captive audience that has already paid a premium to there) to prices equivalent to (or higher than) top line upper east side Manhattan spin classes, spa treatments, decent standalone bar and restaurant prices... or FIVE times what I pay for a Manhattan mani-pedi!!

Ah, well... that's why I said, given the context of other onboard charges, the boot camp actually not too bad a deal compared to other offerings... you do for sure get a good workout and close attention from the trainer...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app