Pink sand beaches?

niugrads

We've never been to Barbados but heard that there are beautiful pink sand beaches there. We're arriving on a Royal Caribbean ship and are thinking about the Rhino Rider excursion. It sounds like fun, though I'm not a swimmer and do not like small boats. Does anyone know where the pink sand beaches are and/or about the Rhino Rider excursion? Appreciate any help!

Hi There :)

You know for as long as I have lived in Barbados ( All of my Life)

I have always wondered why they say Barbados has pink sand. White yes in places, off white yes in places beige yes in places.

Well after 27 years I finally saw the pink sand :) what it actually is, is the pink coral broken up into sand. On Accra beach is where I noticed it when the waves cove in and go back out you see pink ripples through the sand. I guess it kind of all stays together when the waves go back out because it is the same weight.

So there is the story to the pink sand or at least what my experience with it :)

I have to agree with Sarah Taylor.. after living here for 13yrs, and having been to many of the island beaches, I'm not sure that we actually have pink sand beaches.. the pink sand, or illusion of it, is created by the coral that has been broken up by the waves.

i'm not sure the Rhino Riders are for you if you are not a swimmer and don't like small boats. it's basically a water craft you steer yourself. I'm sure they say you don't have to swim to operate one.. but I sure would want to if I ever did that.

I would highly recommend an island tour with a beach stop in the afternoon.

have a great time

All the above islanders are correct. The 'pink sand beaches' were created by the chamber of commerce, I guess.

When they say 'black sand beaches' in Hawaii, you get black sand beaches. Here, on Barbados, it isn't really "pink". Kinda, sorta pink....depending on the time of day you view them.

"They" refer to the beaches on the SE and E coast of the island that have a pink twinge to them in ideal light.

Here's an example of a beach they call "pink"....

You decide.....

Crane Beach, SE Barbados

crane5.jpg

What a great shot, Barbados. and captures that "pink beach" just grand. The really are mostly made up.. and we can hope that people want to come and see.. but it really is more bits of shell and coral ground up to make the pink sand.

And The Crane Beach is great too. Voted for many years as one of the top beaches in the world.

The Rino Riders are not bad I have spoken to a few people who really enjoyed them.

I am not sure quite how they operate so I cant be of to much help with that I do see them zipping up and down the West coast but other than being told by others they liked it I cant add anything.

Whatever you do in Barbados niugrads have a great trip.:) :cool:

Archived