New Cunarder: a cruiseship non liner as a Queen?

Normandie-BCN

Dou you think that the new Cunarder, not being a linier but a cruise ship should not have a name with the word Queen as has been the use in the last times.

I propose to revcover all Cunard names as Berengaria, Aquitania, Mauretania, Karmania, Ausonia, etc. o new similar ones. Brittania, Anglia, Wales, East Anglia, etc. or the style of Wite Star names as Britanic, Olympic, etc., or a new style as Prince Charles (there has alsol been a Prince of Wales), Prince William, etc. All but a Queen.

Back in the 70s they had the Cunard Countess and Cunard Princess which we sailed on several times. In my opinion I think they should reserve Queen for the ocean liners and use some other name as you have suggested.

There was an exhaustive discussion on this board about the name of the New Cunarder before the name was released. A poll was taken on a preferred shortlist of names - and believe it or not 'Victoria' (without the Queen) came top. After the event it was generally agreed that Cunard were flying in the face of tradition by promoting this cruiseship to 'Queen' status - Aquitania, Mauretania etc.? What a missed opportunity.

Normandie-BCN - I think everyone would agree with your sentiments (well, apart from the Prince Charles suggestion anyway!).

Ken

I agree with you wholeheartedly, in fact there was a very large discussion of this at the time when the original QUEEN VICTORIA (now ARCADIA) was transferred to Cunard, and up to and including the time when the name was announced.

We can see from looking at ARCADIA that she would have made a pretty poor QUEEN, and I do hope that if she is built, the new QUEEN VICTORIA turns out to be more appropriate. However I do still object to using a QUEEN name for a cruise ship or for anything other than an express liner of the first order. After all it was not just cruise ships which did not get QUEEN names back in the "good old days", but liners too - for example the SAXONIA-class ships were certainly liners but only the company's premier vessels were named QUEENs.

It seems to me that the most recent CARONIA may be the last Cunarder to get an -IA name - and ironically, was also the first in over three decades to be so named.

The only exception is if PACIFIC PRINCESS and/or TAHITIAN PRINCESS go to Cunard; in that case I can't imagine them naming them as QUEENs though one never knows.

Also another note, BRITANNIA would not be a new name at all, in fact it was the name of the very first Cunarder way back in 1840 so is perhaps the most historic Cunard name of all.

Archived