Jam or jelly from Halifax !?!?!?

jealdaka

I was in Halifax last year and got some jelly or jam at a gift store in the downtown area. It was wonderful but I can't remember the fruit which was native to that area I believe. I think the maker was Tickleberry. Can anyone give me some help on finding out the name?

How's that for a strange cruise question!!

Berries native to our area - Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries...nothing really unusual here. But you may have bought bakeapple, or cloudberry jam which are made from berries native to Newfoundland, but are available in some of our downtown giftshops.Hope this helps

Bakeapple and cloudberry are about the same I think. They are a small raspberry like berry of a yellowish color. Grown native in Newfoundland. We have seen cloudberry wine here as well, had a tasting once and it was very good.

Cloudberries are originally from the Netherlands, so that makes sense since some of the very first settlers in Newfoundland came from that area of the world.

http://www.darktickle.com/bakeappleinfo.aspx

Here is a website you may be interested in - you can order their products on line.

Archived