Quick Review of Independence of the Seas

My husband and I were on the Independence of the Seas from Feb. 22 - Feb. 28. I am 28 and he is 36. We got married in October and this was our honeymoon. So, I figured I'd give some quick bullets about what we liked and what we didn't.

1. Cruise Director Ricky Matthews was awesome! He was hilarious and full of a lot of energy.

2. The shows were just okay. My husband liked the ice show best and I liked the show Once Upon a Time. I thought the comedian was lame and the magician was just okay. The only other cruise line I have been on is Disney and there shows are much better than RCL's in my opinion.

3. Food: The Windjammer was terrible. On the Radiance of the Seas, my family loved going to the windjammer and eating. On Independence of the Seas, my husband and I only went to the Windjammer twice for lunch and twice for breakfast and it was horrible! The food was lukewarm and there wasn't as many choices as I remember on the Radiance of the Seas. We had early seating for dinner and the main dining room food was really good every night. We had Domingo as our server and he was super nice and always made sure we had enough to eat. He even brought my husband and I seconds on lobster night!

4. Activities: we didn't partake in a lot of the activities on board. The ones we were interested in doing like the love and marriage show and quest was just too late for us. I go to bed early even on vacation. So, I don't have any comments on the on board activities. The swimming pools were pretty crowded and it was hard to find seats on the swimming pool deck during the sea days. I tried the flow rider and that was fun! I was terrible at the stand up surfing but I liked that better than the boogie boarding. The line wasn't terrible probably 20-30 minutes. Since the cruise was full, I didn't feel that the wait was too long.

5. Grand Cayman: We did the SeaTrek excursion in Grand Cayman. I don't know how to swim so going 30 feet deep in the ocean was amazing for me. There really wasn't a lot to see but the same fish they had fed to get them in the area we were but it was still fun. My husband who is 6'6 and around 230 pounds hated SeaTrek. When he first started going down something was wrong with his air so he was getting water in his helmet. They switched the air line for him but he was nervous about being 30 feet under at that point and was having trouble control in his breathing and was still getting a little water in his helmet. I think part of the problem was his head was nearly too big for the helmet. The town of Grand Cayman was just okay. It was the usual shops and kind of spread out.

6. Jamaica: We went Zip lining at Rosehall. This was my husband's first time zip lining and he was nervous cause he is afraid of heights. He loved the zips and so did I. The workers at the zip lining place were hilarious and made the whole thing very entertaining. We liked the drive to Rosehall, as well, because we got to see actual Jamaica and not the fake port. We didn't have much time at the port in Jamaica but again it wasn't a big deal because it was the same clothes stores and more diamond international.

7. Coco Cay: We made it to Coco Cay. I was really worried because I kept hearing people on these boards stating they hadn't ever made it to Coco Cay. The beach was nice enough. We went in the water and saw fish, stingray, and an eel. This was all in the shallow area. The beach was a bit rocky though. It was pretty enough and relaxing but I thought the price of items like floating mats was overpriced, which is why we didn't buy any.

8. Photographers: I thought the photographers were bad. We took many pictures and ended up buying 2. We didn't buy those 2 because we loved them but they were the best of what we took and we wanted photo of us together and then we had the buy one get one half off coupon and used it. I was glad that I didn't buy the photo package like I had planned on doing before the cruise.

9. Overall we enjoyed the cruise. The ship was nice and we got to relax. However, at the end of the cruise I didn't feel the desire to start planning our next cruise. I don't know if it was cause this was my 8th cruise or what but it just didn't have the wow factor that I was looking for. It was still nice and I would go on this ship again in the future.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.