Need Some Help from the Experienced

markpc17

Like seguetocaribe said, two people can conceivably take turns drinking with one person's UBP, but I don't see how the NCL rep thought they could both eat for free at a specialty restaurant with one person's UDP. Eat at the same time, that is.

The only way I can see this working is if they booked both adults into both rooms. If the kids sail free, this wouldn't cost a whole lot more (just the taxes for the two children). I have seen this sort of scheme suggested before (booking the same person in more than one cabin, usually to score some extra perks, like suite privileges) and supposedly some people have managed to pull it off, but I doubt that NCL is crazy about the idea.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Well the last time we cruised (2012) you only had to show one card for dinners and only one signature. So I think one person with the UDP could buy dinner for the entire table. Unless the staff checked everyone's card for the UDP sticker.;)

Obviously my post was confusing. According to tje ncl rep my room has 2 udp options that I and my husband can use vs myself and son. Conversely my husband's room has the 2 udp options. He can order me the drinks. Maybe not 2 at once but one after another.

If my ncl rep has steered me wrong, let me know.

I think the problem with this plan is that the UDP and the UBP are not tied to the ROOMS, rather they are tied to the PERSON and their ROOM CARD. Your individual card will say what you have, both with a sticker on it and when the bartenders/waiters take your card and slide it through their computers to check. So that is why some people here do not see how you are going to be able to get the dinners covered because both you and your husband's room cards will have to indicate that you both have the UDP to get dinners at the specialty restaurants. Occasionally you hear of people who say that the wait staff only asks for one card per table but that is certainly not something that you can count on.

First, thanks for all the great feedback on my initial question.

There are definitely some interesting tactics, hacks and workarounds being proposed.

Here's what I was told and going through an actual booking. The policy if all of it is read (the agent read it to me on the phone) goes onto say that if you have adults that can be in the rooms you have to do it that way - meaning 2 adults in one cabin, 2 children in the other you do need to split up.

In fact, I was able to book online using a fake birthdate initially figuring I'd then callback once I showed NCL I booked two cabins next door to each other (this might be different for true connecting rooms - I'm only talking next door)

The rep who was very nice was unable to change the birthdate to the actual one because it would then cause an issue. That cabin with two minors has no way to accept the terms & conditions that you have to accept when checking in online.

This then went to a supervisor who after some time approved it -- because I had been told next door would be o.k. but it's definitely not an easy, quick thing for them.

What I have to do is the adult cabin is an easy check in. The kids cabin you go through the checkin online and then it won't let you agree to the T&C. He gave me a special email address you then have to email with all the details -- they then send you back (the adult) the T&C to accept on behalf of that cabin, and then ultimately they push the ability to move on and finish the documentation after this back and forth.

Of course I'm sure you could do this at the pier as well if you didn't want the back and forth before you go.

Clearly I'd normally just split the adults but it totally messes up the UBP in the adult cabin and for example choosing gratuities in the kid's cabin.

I realize there are ideas above on how to get away with this, cards, etc... and I'm sure they "could" work but sounds like added stress to worry about trying to get away something on a vacation.

Anyway, this is how I ended up doing it and all is to policy this way.

Thanks for the suggestions - very helpful!

First, thanks for all the great feedback on my initial question.

There are definitely some interesting tactics, hacks and workarounds being proposed.

Here's what I was told and going through an actual booking. The policy if all of it is read (the agent read it to me on the phone) goes onto say that if you have adults that can be in the rooms you have to do it that way - meaning 2 adults in one cabin, 2 children in the other you do need to split up.

In fact, I was able to book online using a fake birthdate initially figuring I'd then callback once I showed NCL I booked two cabins next door to each other (this might be different for true connecting rooms - I'm only talking next door)

The rep who was very nice was unable to change the birthdate to the actual one because it would then cause an issue. That cabin with two minors has no way to accept the terms & conditions that you have to accept when checking in online.

This then went to a supervisor who after some time approved it -- because I had been told next door would be o.k. but it's definitely not an easy, quick thing for them.

What I have to do is the adult cabin is an easy check in. The kids cabin you go through the checkin online and then it won't let you agree to the T&C. He gave me a special email address you then have to email with all the details -- they then send you back (the adult) the T&C to accept on behalf of that cabin, and then ultimately they push the ability to move on and finish the documentation after this back and forth.

Of course I'm sure you could do this at the pier as well if you didn't want the back and forth before you go.

Clearly I'd normally just split the adults but it totally messes up the UBP in the adult cabin and for example choosing gratuities in the kid's cabin.

I realize there are ideas above on how to get away with this, cards, etc... and I'm sure they "could" work but sounds like added stress to worry about trying to get away something on a vacation.

Anyway, this is how I ended up doing it and all is to policy this way.

Thanks for the suggestions - very helpful!

Can you share the special email address? I'll need to do this with my booking....we put the adults in one room and the kids in the other due to the promos (but we do have connecting rooms).

I HAVE done this several times with the OS and connecting suite.

As long as the cabins are connecting ( little arrow on the diagram) you can book adults in one and children in the other. One child has to have his age changed so that the computer accepts it and so that that cabin can book excursions, for example.

We change to the correct year of birth and then print the e-docs. The first time I had help from the preconcierge, I did not on our last cruise. I don't know why it allowed me to accept the T and C, perhaps this was a glitch and I was able to do it.

The reason that anyone can NOt just pretend to be 21 and book a cruise by themselves if they are underage is that the person's true age will be on their ID and when they go to board ..they won't be permitted to board. Ages are always confirmed at check in. Just like when flying , the DOB must match that of the traveler.

If you remove the OPs question about sharing the UDP/UBP, this question is easy to answer. Many of us have done it . Right now we have several cruises booked , one being an OS with connecting. each cabin has a separate booking number and will have a separate invoice at the end of the cruise. We simply pay with one credit card.

I have never done this with an ADJOINING cabin. But it is absolutely fine to book as described for connecting, connecting meaning that there is a door inside the cabin that connects the 2 rooms.

I will post my booking confirmation from a cruise that we took in December so that you can see what it looks like when booked and then when I printed the e-docs. I am snowed in at work now, but will post tomorrow .

Also- the KSF does not mean ALL kids / persons sail free . It applies to the 3rd through 8th passengers of any age in the SAME cabin

As to the double booking of adults thread that was mentioned... This is under special circumstance where the cabin has full capacity, meaning if it holds 5you pay for five and then one of the adults books a separate room and also pays for that. It gets pricey and not many people seem to have luck with their PCC or TA booking it correctly.

As for the special email address mentioned for check in , I have never used that. Also, it is not hard to do the check in at the pier

Edited by raymondreddington

I HAVE done this several times with the OS and connecting suite.

As long as the cabins are connecting ( little arrow on the diagram) you can book adults in one and children in the other. One child has to have his age changed so that the computer accepts it and so that that cabin can book excursions, for example.

We change to the correct year of birth and then print the e-docs. The first time I had help from the preconcierge, I did not on our last cruise. I don't know why it allowed me to accept the T and C, perhaps this was a glitch and I was able to do it.

The reason that anyone can NOt just pretend to be 21 and book a cruise by themselves if they are underage is that the person's true age will be on their ID and when they go to board ..they won't be permitted to board. Ages are always confirmed at check in. Just like when flying , the DOB must match that of the traveler.

If you remove the OPs question about sharing the UDP/UBP, this question is easy to answer. Many of us have done it . Right now we have several cruises booked , one being an OS with connecting. each cabin has a separate booking number and will have a separate invoice at the end of the cruise. We simply pay with one credit card.

I have never done this with an ADJOINING cabin. But it is absolutely fine to book as described for connecting, connecting meaning that there is a door inside the cabin that connects the 2 rooms.

I will post my booking confirmation from a cruise that we took in December so that you can see what it looks like when booked and then when I printed the e-docs. I am snowed in at work now, but will post tomorrow .

Also- the KSF does not mean ALL kids / persons sail free . It applies to the 3rd through 8th passengers of any age in the SAME cabin

As to the double booking of adults thread that was mentioned... This is under special circumstance where the cabin has full capacity, meaning if it holds 5you pay for five and then one of the adults books a separate room and also pays for that. It gets pricey and not many people seem to have luck with their PCC or TA booking it correctly.

As for the special email address mentioned for check in , I have never used that. Also, it is not hard to do the check in at the pier

Thanks so much for this info! how did you go about changing the age to print out the edocs? Wouldn't it stop you if it now shows that there is not someone of age in the cabin? When we booked this way with connecting cabins, we were told to check in online for the adult reservation and wait until we get to the pier to check in for the kids room (I do have email/paperwork indicating the kids reservation/stateroom number). It would be nice to be able to check in online for the kids ahead of time but we were told not to do it that way - wondering how you managed to do it?!

Yeah, I've got questions too. My second room doesn't show under my account. I can find it in the system under my son's name, but since that person with that name and birth date doesn't have an NCL account, it wants me to make one. I wonder what happens to his Lattitudes credits if I do? We're all eligible for 24 points each on this one, 8 day, booked far in advance with Lattitudes offer. I don't want to mess that up either. #Firstworldproblems