"Optional Dress-UP" question

axelskater

:confused:Thank you in advance for putting up with what must be an oft-asked question. I have read the Disney guidelines, but what I am wondering is how many people adhere to the "optional dress up" night on a 4 day voyage? I just booked one today.

We are on a 4 day "Very Merry Time" voyage in December. Do many people take advantage of this opportunity to dress up?

I am also curious about the Remy "dress up" - I have read the description from Disney as well as in a book I have, but is it more of a business casual look, or are people taking advantage of the chance to wear cocktail attire? Since we plan on going to Remy twice I was curious as to the extent of the formality.

Thank you in advance. I have a while to make all those packing decisions! My other Disney cruises were 3 days with no "optional dress up" nights.

Really? Most 3 night cruises have one designated "dress up optional."

OK, most people dress up for a Remy dinner. Not formal, but what you would wear to a 5* restaurant at home. Cocktail dress and business suit would be the most common. Remy brunch is less dressy, but still very much in the "make an effort" category. This is not the place to downscale it. You said you read the Remy dress code, so I won't repeat it here. Remember, the dress code is the minimum--you can dress up as much more as you like.

The dress up optional night--you can't go wrong no matter what you wear. Some families take advantage of the family portraits available and dress up for that. Many people do a typical "cruise casual" (sundress/pantsuit for ladies, dockers with polo for guys type of thing). And there will be plenty in jeans and shorts.

On the last night of our 3 night Dream cruise, there was an optional dress up night and I missed it on the Navigator. We showed up in shorts (just freshly showered and fried from Castaway Cay) and we were probably one of three families who were dressed that way. Everyone else was in what I would call "summer church attire" (dresses, men in polo shirts and slacks, etc.) I won't make that mistake again.

We just did a 4 night in December 2014. It was probably split half and half for dressing up. There were some with tuxes and long gowns, and some with polo shirts and sundresses (my husband and I). But definitely way less dressed up than formal night on a 7 day. I did see a lot of families dressed up with holiday like clothes (red dresses and xmas ties). I assume they were posing in front of the tree for their Christmas card. Cute idea.

We actually used a picture of us and mickey in his holiday sweater for our xmas card this year. :D

I cant speak for Remy as I have never been.

Thank you - this helps a great deal - we will wear our cocktail attire that night; I think I was in Palo for the optional dress up night on my 3 day trip so I didn't notice it. The nights I did eat in AP & Lumiere's, people were very casual, so I was wondering if the dress up night was something in which people participate...I like the idea of pictures in our dresses at the tree, that will be a great picture.

Since my mom and I want to try to sail Disney every year now, I am trying to get used to being more "cruise casual" :) The other line I travel does not allow jeans, shorts, or jacket-less men in any public rooms after 6. Tuxes and long gowns are mostly the norm on Cunard, along with a smattering of kilts and full (often international) military dress, which is always quite the picture. Disney & Cunard are my two favorite lines - totally different but each one very, very special.

We always "spruce up" for Remy and Palo dinners, as well as their brunches. For me, nice slacks, jacket, and a shirt with Mickey tie; for DW a nice dressy pantsuit. Same for the brunches. It is our choice. Remy guests seem to dress up a bit more than for Palo - from our experiences and observations. Whatever you choose, don't let what others wear change your experience. Both restaurants offer a great experience! We must admit, Remy is our favorite!

We hope your entire cruise experience is magical.

Remember that on DCL, in the main dining rooms, the dress is "suggested attire." As long as a guest is wearing shoes, not swimwear, and something that covers their top and bottom, they will not be denied seating.

On the other hand, Palo and Remy each have an enforced dress code, and the code is different in the two restaurants. For instance, Remy requires that gentlemen wear a jacket while Palo does not.

Anyone planning on adult dining needs to check the dress codes on the DCL web site so as to avoid being caught without suitable clothing....or just take along something nice!

We always "spruce up" for Remy and Palo dinners, as well as their brunches. For me, nice slacks, jacket, and a shirt with Mickey tie; for DW a nice dressy pantsuit. Same for the brunches. It is our choice. Remy guests seem to dress up a bit more than for Palo - from our experiences and observations. Whatever you choose, don't let what others wear change your experience. Both restaurants offer a great experience! We must admit, Remy is our favorite!

We hope your entire cruise experience is magical.

I LOVE the Mickey Tie idea. So far it's only my mom & I doing DCL - my husband and I are the ones who sail Cunard. If he ever sails DCL he will have the mickey tie! But you've given me a nice idea. Tonight I will be searching the internet for some nice Mickey/Disney silk scarves to complement my outfits!

Moki's Mom - usually cruise packing means full on strapless ball gowns, lots of beading & sequins, 8 or 9 pairs of shoes (to be fair, we are on board for 10 days +) I am going to "tone it down" this time on DCL and pack knee length cocktail dresses. But I still can't help being dressed more formally when I am on a voyage. I still won't be packing jeans or shorts; just dresses, skirts, and nice flats for my every day wear. And Disney Pins!!!!!