Baltic Cruise on Arcadia, ocean view cabins.

bascoman

I am looking to book the Baltic cruise from Southampton on 29/07/15. The balcony cabins are a little expensive.Has anyone been on this ship and berthed in ocean-view cabins which only seem to be on G deck, and could you tell me what your opinion is.Are they big enough? Are there any critical points?

Any experience,criticism or advice would be welcome.

Is a cabin "Big Enough" is always a personal matter. Some people 'need' a suite; others find an inside cabin large enough if they really only use it as a place to sleep.

Ocean-view cabins on deck 1 (G deck) are a decent size; it's only two decks up to deck 3 (Prom. deck) if you want to watch the world go by from an open deck as you enter or leave the many wonderful ports on a Baltic cruise.

Balcony cabins aren't cheap but my wife and I choose them as we spend a lot of time on the balcony. Indeed, on warm evenings in the Caribbean I've slept on the balcony :rolleyes: - but not on a Baltic cruise! If we couldn't get a balcony cabin then an ocean-view cabin on deck 1 would certainly be a good alternative.

VP

Edited by Vampire Parrot

I am looking to book the Baltic cruise from Southampton on 29/07/15. The balcony cabins are a little expensive.Has anyone been on this ship and berthed in ocean-view cabins which only seem to be on G deck, and could you tell me what your opinion is.Are they big enough? Are there any critical points?

Any experience,criticism or advice would be welcome.

We did a 72 day Arcadia cruise Southampton to Alaska and back in an Ocean View, G Deck, cabin and were very happy with it. Plenty big enough and enough storage space. Cabin was quiet but with good access to the theatre and lifts/stairs etc. View was also good and we had a whale right underneath our window.

Edited by BalkanCruiser

We did a 7-night Christmas cruise on Arcadia in December, in an E-deck Obstructed View cabin. In the context of that cruise - cold, and dark for 18 hours a day - we didn't miss a balcony. But a summer cruise to the Baltic might be different. Is the cruise going to Stockholm or Oslo? The sail-in/out to those ports is wonderful: we loved the sail-out through the Stockholm archipelago and spent a long time on the balcony looking at the islands as we sailed past hem (and very close in some cases). I spent a lot of time on the balcony enjoying the view. The sail-out takes nearly three hours, btw. We didn't see anything of the sail up Oslo fjord this December - it was pitch dark in both directions - but I'm told that's a fine passage. I also remember crowds of people out on the balconies around midnight when we sailed under the Great Belt bridge after leaving Copenhagen.

So if you can possibly stretch to a balcony on Arcadia, you'll enjoy it. Incidentally, the balconies themselves on E-deck (port and starboard, not aft) are a little bigger than the ones on the decks above. Just 12 or 15 inches, but that's a bit more legroom.

You can check the size of the cabins by doing a mock booking. Somewhere on there, the size is stated - inside cabins are about 150 square feet, or large inside about 200 square feet.

Balcony cabins are given as a lot larger, but that's because they include the balcony area. The cabin area is mostly no bigger than an inside cabin.

Don't worry about missing scenery because of not having a balcony cabin. There's loads of deck space, so unless you have mobility problems you'll get just as good a view as people in balcony cabins - better, in fact, because you can move across to the other side of the ship if the view is better. You just lose the convenience of having your own bit of deck right by your cabin.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr