Grandmother taking 11 year old grandson on cruise questions?

Galleon1234

1. he needs a passport?

2. parents are divorced but amicable to each other and me

3. Do both parents need to be with him to apply for the passport?

4. how long does that usually take to receive.

5. what does Carnival do for the children that age? which ship is better equipped Magic or Freedom? he is mature for his age would he go with the younger group or the older group?

6. dinner in the dining room, would that sit us at a table with other adults with children?

Thanks so much for any info and advice:)!

My granddaughter and I went on a cruise together when she was that age. I just had her birth certificate and a notarized note from her parents giving me permission to take her and giving me permission to have her treated if there were any medical problems. I was advised to take that letter with me when we went ashore, but nobody ever asked for it. At dinner we were at a table with a couple and their son who was close in age to my granddaughter. Of course, this was just months before 911 and times have changed. If she was 11 now and I wanted to take her I would get her a passport as well as the note.

(in fact, I did get her one soon after 9/11 so she had a passport on her next cruise )

No passport needed if he is a US citizen but you will need an original state issued birth certificate and a letter from his custodial parent allowing you to take him on the cruise. I think it has to be notarized but not sure-you could check with Carnival. As for Camp Carnival he can't choose what age group to be with they will put him with the age appropriate group. I have not sailed the magic but I have the Freedom and it is very kid friendly. They have the Suess

breakfast and parade. If he is sports minded they have sport ball courts and ring toss contests. I took six of my grandchildren on the Breeze and never saw the 11 and 12 year old boys the whole cruise they were so busy having fun. As for the dining room you could email the maitre'd and ask to be seated at a table with other children. Which ever ship you sail on you're sure to have a great time with your grandson.

we just got off the magic... here are my thoughts...

1. he needs a passport?-- he doesn't NEED one.. but it is recommended.. as long as it is a closed loop (leave and return at same port) a Birth certificate is fine

2. parents are divorced but amicable to each other and me-- u will need a notarized latter with BOTH parents whose name is on the BC signatures giving you authorization to take him. detail out the dates, ship names, etc

3. Do both parents need to be with him to apply for the passport? if you get a passport then yes.. the parents will have to be present or you must have a notorized form that is available on the US dept of state (where u get the passport info's) website in order for you or a single parent to apply for the passport

4. how long does that usually take to receive.-- when we got ours it took about 3-4 weeks

5. what does Carnival do for the children that age? which ship is better equipped Magic or Freedom? he is mature for his age would he go with the younger group or the older group?-- we just got off the magic and i have never done the freedom so i am partial.. lol BUT.. the magic has everything the freedom has and MORE. waterworks, 2 big water slides, ropes course, mini golf, sports deck.. he will LOVE it! he will be places in the 9-11 group with his age range. they will NOT budge on this even if you want him in the older groups they will not allow it. must be by age. with your permission he can check himself in and out if you allow at that age.

6. dinner in the dining room, would that sit us at a table with other adults with children? -- i bet if you email the maitre D for the ship they will see if they can seat you at a table with other kids. i assume they generally try to do that as best they can

Thanks so much for any info and advice!

We are taking our 12 year old granddaughter on her first cruise. You don't NEED a passport, but having one is advisable. They normally take about 6 weeks---go to any post office and check. We've been told that in some ports they might check about permission for your "custody" of the youngster. The only person I spoke to who was asked had it happen by the officers of an island (I think it was Aruba---but I'm not sure) as they went to go back on the ship. We won't take a chance, and got a form to be signed by the parents and notarized------again, it's probably not needed, but we figure it as insurance. I will try to show a copy below, if you need more detail reply with your email and I'll send it to you as a PDF file and as a jpeg.

16530146377_2249ee2801_z.jpg

In addition to the signed (by BOTH parents) and notarized authorization allowing you to take your grandson out of the country on this cruise, you need to have a signed (by both parents) and notorized MEDICAL TEMPORARY POWER of ATTORNEY granting you the right to make medical decisions about your grandson during the time of the cruise.

While I am aware that a passport is not a requirement, I would recommend that your grandson have one. Should an emergency arise for either of you, while out of the states, and need to get home (US) quickly, a passport becomes necessary. It's a (relatively) small price to pay for peace of mind.

One thing I've noticed on all my cruises, is that somehow they have managed to seat us in the dining room with like-minded travelers. IE: One time it was 3 best (female) friends, and our table mates just happened to be 3 best female friends. Another was just me & my D (she was 8), and just happened to be seated with a mom & her D (who was 9). Never asked, it just happened.

Every trip my D took with her grandparents was a smashing success. I just know you and your grandson will be making memories that will last a lifetime! :)

• 4 months later...
We are taking our 12 year old granddaughter on her first cruise. You don't NEED a passport, but having one is advisable. They normally take about 6 weeks---go to any post office and check. We've been told that in some ports they might check about permission for your "custody" of the youngster. The only person I spoke to who was asked had it happen by the officers of an island (I think it was Aruba---but I'm not sure) as they went to go back on the ship. We won't take a chance, and got a form to be signed by the parents and notarized------again, it's probably not needed, but we figure it as insurance. I will try to show a copy below, if you need more detail reply with your email and I'll send it to you as a PDF file and as a jpeg.

16530146377_2249ee2801_z.jpg

Will you please email me a copy of this? We are taking our 8 yr old grandson on a cruise in October. Thanks so much!!

jenny@brittexpipe dot com