Jersey City Westin pre-cruise?

Just want to double check that this is a good place for the night before sailing on Celebrity Summit in June? It's pricey, but seems like a great way to get our vacation started!

Can anyone tell me if this is still a good place? Refresh my memory on what I need to know about transportation from Newark airport to the Westin, and from the Westin to the port, please.

I so appreciate the help I receive from this board! Thank you!

Just want to double check that this is a good place for the night before sailing on Celebrity Summit in June? It's pricey, but seems like a great way to get our vacation started!

Can anyone tell me if this is still a good place? Refresh my memory on what I need to know about transportation from Newark airport to the Westin, and from the Westin to the port, please.

I so appreciate the help I receive from this board! Thank you!

This is an excellent choice. Rates are good for your date. You can take a cab from the airport to the hotel. Have them quote you a rate before you get in the cab. Last time I heard the base rate was $46 plus tolls (between $2.45 and $4.00) plus tip. It is not a metered ride.

You should probably prearrange transportation to the port, which you can do through the hotel or on your own. It should be a similar amount. Here are the names of the Bayonne Cab companies. Transportation should not be an issue Sunday morning.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

I've never stayed here myself, but I've walked past the Westin many times and am very familiar with the area. It's an excellent location, just across the street from the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway; many rooms should have views of the river and of the Manhattan skyline.

These two short videos will give you a glimpse of the hotel, as well as a good idea of the immediate surroundings:

Veteran CC member Cotswold Eagle, from the UK, stayed here a couple of years ago and posted an extensive report (and several photos); as I recall, his experience was extremely favorable. A search on the East Coast forum should enable you to find the thread with his report.

Although it's possible to get to the Westin from EWR by public transportation, I would follow Carol's (138east) suggestion and take a taxi. Likewise, a taxi or car service would be the most hassle-free way from the hotel to Cape Liberty; or, you could take the Light Rail train (which stops just around the corner from the hotel) to 34th Street in Bayonne, and then take a taxi from there the rest of the way (two miles or so) to the cruise terminal.

Although it's possible to get to the Westin from EWR by public transportation, I would follow Carol's (138east) suggestion and take a taxi. Likewise, a taxi or car service would be the most hassle-free way from the hotel to Cape Liberty; or, you could take the Light Rail train (which stops just around the corner from the hotel) to 34th Street in Bayonne, and then take a taxi from there the rest of the way (two miles or so) to the cruise terminal.

Public transit is a hard sell. The trip from EWR to the Westin is certainly doable, but probably not appealing after a long flight for an out of towner. However, the trip from the Westin to Bayonne is much much easier. This leg was part of my trip in Jan to sail on the Quantum. I came from Newark Penn Station on PATH and got on the light rail at Exchange Place. If I remember correctly from my light rail ride last Sep, the Newport stop is behind the Mall closer to the Westin. There is a pedestrian walkway from the Main Street back to the station. So if you can roll your luggage, you can easily get there. The stations are slightly elevated with ramp access. Entry onto the train is level. On a Sunday morning these trains would be virtually empty. Cost is $2.10/pp and $1.05 for seniors. You buy a ticket from the machine and validate it and you are good to go. No steps, no turnstiles - all honor system. When you get to 34th St in Bayonne, you call one of the cab companies and ask them to pick you up on Ave E behind the station. There is a bench out there where you can wait. About $10 into the port.

Thank you both so much! You've eased my mind about our hotel choice and the transportation issues!

You are so valuable to this site! It's so great to get first-hand info about a place you've never been. Your help is so appreciated!

Just wondering if you can quickly give me some reputable car services? I'm guessing I should reserve a few weeks in advance? Thanks, again!

• 2 weeks later...

These are the companies that are most recommended on this forum:

1) Dial7

2) Carmellimo

3) Black Executive Cars

For a low frills service with no web site - book 4-6 weeks out - Independent driver - 888-816-0973. These folks have many different sized vehicles and can accommodate larger parties. The time I used them we filled a nine passenger van with seven people and luggage.

Always be sure to give an accurate number of people and an accurate number of bags so you get the appropriate sized car.

These are the companies that are most recommended on this forum:

1) Dial7

2) Carmellimo

3) Black Executive Cars

For a low frills service with no web site - book 4-6 weeks out - Independent driver - 888-816-0973. These folks have many different sized vehicles and can accommodate larger parties. The time I used them we filled a nine passenger van with seven people and luggage.

Always be sure to give an accurate number of people and an accurate number of bags so you get the appropriate sized car.

Thank you!

Thanks, Carol. You have helped so much! I have one more question for you!

We will be staying just one night at the Westin in Jersey City before our cruise. Could you recommend a great restaurant in the area for dinner? We are from the Midwest, so we'd love a great seafood restaurant! Are there any within walking distance or short cab ride from the Westin? I will sure appreciate your suggestions!

Thank you!

My dining experience in the area was limited to breakfast at the Courtyard since we were there for a rehearsal dinner and wedding in NYC.

However, Google Newport Jersey City restaurants to see what appeals. A big attraction seems to be dining on the waterfront with a spectacular view of Manhattan.

We will be staying just one night at the Westin in Jersey City before our cruise. Could you recommend a great restaurant in the area for dinner? We are from the Midwest, so we'd love a great seafood restaurant! Are there any within walking distance or short cab ride from the Westin?

firstcruiserDB ~

This restaurant might float your boat ;):

http://battellojc.com/

It's located out on the pier at the marina diagonally across the street from the Westin. I've not dined here myself, so I can't vouch for the cuisine; but I've walked past the marina numerous times. An excellent location right on the waterfront.

A few other choices:

http://fireandoakjerseycity.com/

(At the Westin itself.)

http://vb3restaurant.com/

(Turn right when you come out of Westin--it's on the next corner.)

http://www.portoleggero.net/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g46531-d1119688-Reviews-Porto_Leggero-Jersey_City_New_Jersey.html

(About a ten-minute walk from the Westin.)

Enjoy!