Anyone back from Baltic this year?

There are several interesting Baltic reports from last year on this board. Is anyone doing a Baltic report for this year? Or have I missed something?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Randy,
We are also on your cruise, Are you standing in Copenhagen for the first day before you board? How are you going to get from the ship to Stockholm? train or with the cruise ship bus? If I remember right you are from W.V. we are from PA.
[email]srb@nb.net[/email]
thanks

Susie, I think we have communicated before (your last name starts with a "B", in which case we have each others e-mail address, but there are so few communications about this ship on this specific cruise date that we have lost track due to non activity. We are arriving (standing?, we're inexperienced enough at cruising to not know that term) but guess that means arriving a day ahead of the cruise. As we have three flights to get there and also cashing in mileage for upgrades for comfort for so much travel time, we have to allow extra time before and after, but I have read that Copenhagen is worthwhile (new to both of us).

As for "ship to Stockholm", after much difficulty, I ordered the Stockholm Card which I have not yet received, but there were credit security problems on our end that has delayed delivery. It should come in the next couple of days or I will be back with the person there who was so helpful with me with the initial problem. Yet be aware that it is too late for you to consider ordering this on-line. But from what I recall, you can buy the Stockholm Card at the train station close to where the ship docks/tenders.

Thus from what I understand, the train from Nynashamn to Stockholm is included in the Stockholm Card as well as all transportation in Stockholm and most museum admission fees. We like to do things on our own, and even though I have things recorded to do, I will give the option to my spouse the evening before (she doesn't have time to plan for this trip, except to pack a week before since she will be out of town that previous week). Plus we have Rick's book, and I have my document of Stockholm things saved from boards of things to do.

No, we are not from W.V. but used to have a wonderful weekend place there in the mountains.

See if you remember our early on communication reagarding RO, that is if you are Susie B.?

I'll copy this message to what I think is your address, and if not right, they will think that I am spam. RandyD

Hi-
Are you both cruising on the Grand? I am on the 18th of June. I also had problems with the Stockholm 24 hour card, and I have not received it, yet. Do you have a train schedule
for Nyashamn to Stockholm?

Susie9903, RandyD, Sue3689,

If you have questions about how to get from Nynäshamn to Stockholm, and about the Stockholm card/Stockholm transport card, it may be helpful if you take a look at a thread I have posted under headline "Stockholm - docking and transportation"

What I have tried to do there is collect as much information as I could on the subject and have it all in one place.

If after looking there you have further questions, come back and I will try to help you.

north-bound, I saw you wonderful posting on information re transport for Stockholm and saved that in my Stockholm document. It was great help and what convinced me to order the Stockholm card. Thanks for all of the information that you have provided. RandyD

We are booked on the Grand for the July 28 sailing. Ordered the Stockholm card and received it promptly. Looking forward to any reviews of the Baltic for 2004.

Jane

[url="http://www.stockholmtown.com/templates/ShopOnlinePage.aspx?id=8218&type=product&pid=442&rpi=889"]Stockholm Card[/url]

Click on the British flag at the top and it will take you to the English web page.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;6;28;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Grand Princess, Baltic June 28, 2004
Reniassance R8, British Isles, June 2001
HAL Maasdam, Alaska, July 1994
Regal Princess, Eastern Caribbean 1993

We just returned from the Baltic on the Jewel. We thought it was fantanstic. If you have specific questions, just post and I will answer. I am in the process of writing a review, but there is so much info I am forgetting. One thing I will comment on is do a small group (under 10) tour in Russia with Red October or other group. It is too crowded to hear or see much with a bus tour. We did RO day one and RCI on day two. We had 7 people on day one and it was perfect as we could hear our guide, ask questions and he got us in places where tour groups stood in line. Also take in consideration how long it takes to load and unload a bus as it eats into your schedule. We did a 6 1/2 hour tour with RO in the time of the 9 hours of RCI and we seen and learned more for less cost and less hassle.

All the cities have hop on hop off bus and we found that better than the ships tours. It gave us time to hear all about the city, see the city and then hit the spots we wanted still leaving time for shopping. It worked perfect for us. Tallin we just walked to old town which is a must see. If you can, eat at Olde Hansa, which is a medeival place. Even just to stop to have a drink is worth it. It is straight in from the gate to Old Town about a block from the stone entrance.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004
Serenade of the Sea August 2003
Splendour of the Sea August 1999
Legend of the Sea August 1997
Rotterdam May 1989

Just back from the Grand. I will be posting a review, hopefully this weekend. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Cruisin' Chris

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;5;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]  5/19/04 Grand Princess Baltic Heritage

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to get your ideas and reviews about the Jewel of the Seas, and the things you enjoyed the most in the ports. Will be on the ship July 3rd and we are really getting excited. We booked Denrus for the two days in St. Petersburg.

HI

I was on the Grand May 18th and would be happy to answer specific questions.

Note that the train to Stockholm only leaves at :07 on the hour instead of every 1/2 hour

My favorite ports were St Petersburg which I did Princess tours Hermitage (so so too crowded no matter who you go with), Peterhof Palace ( excellent), and the Hidden Scenes Walking Tour (excellent) and the latter did not have that much walking even.

We also did the ballet Giselle with Red October and I cannot strese enought to do this beautiful evening. Incredible performance and worth the $95.

Also enjoyed Gdansk taxi was $65 round trip some paid $50 I heard later. Great port and the food and Polish beer very cheap. Many places to buy Amber and much appeared to be quality.

I also enjoyed Warnemunde and Rockstok. There was enough time to do both. The train to Rockstok from Warnemunde was only 8 ueros for 3 of us round trip. Great cafes and shopping in Rockstok. Went back to Warnemunde for a early dinner at the Atlantic. Excellent steaks, soups etc. Also there is a beautiful beach in Warnemunde. They did not make it into port last week due to the weather so even though some of our ports were cut a bit short we did not miss anything.

Tallin you can do on your own just walk to the city.

Copenhagen is very expensive and it was too bad the weather was cold and windy otherwise we could have had a great time at Tivoli or all of the great places to stop on the water.

The place we sure wish we had more time in was Helsinki, what a great big modern city. Just take the shuttle and then you can walk up the through the Market or to the right up through the park.

Try to have patience on this cruise. Remember that everyone is on idenitcal schedules and there is so much to see. Everyone wants to get off and back on at the same time subsequently everyone wants to eat at the same time then too. It is busy cruise plus the loss of 2 more hours in the beginning of the cruise makes for some tiring situations. Go with the flow and relax when you can.

The Grand had a few engine problems and because of her size has to dock in the industrial ports but it was an excellent time and a fabulous cruise.

Let me know if I can answer any questions!!!

Lynn

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img] New Year's on the Star Princess "Just book the cruise" 12/26/04........

Carnival Holiday 92, RCCL Viking Seranade 00, NCL Norway 01, Star Princess 02, Star Princess, 02, Star Princess, 02, Dawn Princess 03, Golden Princess 03, Golden Princess 03, Island Princess 03, Dawn Princess 03, Grand Princess Happy New Year 03, Diamond Princess 04, Grand Princess 04, Sapphire Princess 04
<center>

Love the advice. I'm going on July 8th and looking forward to each and every second. This is a once in a lifetime trip for me. I've read of some problems with loss luggage. did you hear much of this. Sometimes we're forced to hear the negative and causes worry. Thanks Iris

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;7;8;21;00;00&timezone=GMT+0200[/img]
Cruising fool

I did not hear about any lost luggage only some misplaced bag for one on the way to the airport. Porter accidentally put a wrong piece in a cab and they did notice this. They had to go back and it exchnage it for their own. Also there was a family who's luggage was taken to the airport and they did not have the transfers. My luggage did get lost on the flight over last year so this year I made sure to bring a skirt, top and pair of sandals in my carry on just in case.

Lynn

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img] New Year's on the Star Princess "Just book the cruise" 12/26/04........

Carnival Holiday 92, RCCL Viking Seranade 00, NCL Norway 01, Star Princess 02, Star Princess, 02, Star Princess, 02, Dawn Princess 03, Golden Princess 03, Golden Princess 03, Island Princess 03, Dawn Princess 03, Grand Princess Happy New Year 03, Diamond Princess 04, Grand Princess 04, Sapphire Princess 04
<center>

• 2 weeks later...
I originally posted this thread and now that I'm back from the cruise, I can answer my own questions. Thanks to all the cruise critics who gave advice and information. We loved the Baltic! The weather in early June was cool and sometimes drizzly, but we walked and took hop-on buses everywhere and enjoyed every minute. The Red October tour with just 5 of us in a van was the absolute highlight and one we highly recommend.

If you want to see ports that are different from home, take in palaces, museums and churches, and just see how others live, then a Baltic cruise is well worth it. We were also glad we allowed extra days in England before and after the cruise out of Dover. Thank God we have lots of videos and photos, or we'd forget what we saw and where, there was so much!

Brigitte

• 2 weeks later...
Toots, This thread has been great. Our family is on the Jewel in August. Would love to hear any tips as this is our first cruise. We have booked a car through RC for the two days in St. Petersburg. Could you let me know what your itinerary was. Also any good places to eat in Heksinki and Stockholm would be great. Thanks for your help! Kim

KCNN - e-mail me directly and I'll send you our RO itinerary. We had five in a van the first day and seven the second day (people we had met on Cruise Critic). We could easily have taken a couple more, to cut down on expense. The guide and driver were excellent and we recommend RO highly. E-mail me at [email]emickb@aol.com[/email]. Put Red October in the subject line.

KCNN - I just re-read your question. Are you renting a car yourself? Maybe someone else has suggestions on that subject. We often rent cars in ports and tour on our own, but we did not want to take a chance driving in Russia. We learned SO MUCH from our tour guide, I'm wondering why you're not taking a tour, either through the ship or with a service like Red October.

We are going on a Baltic cruise in August. I'm curious how one handles currency. It appears that each individual stop from Helsinki to St. Pete to Tallin has its own currency. I've read about using ATM's but admit I've never used one overseas. Does one draw from their checking account or is it a draw from your credit card be it AMEX or VISA? Should one just buy a bunch of Euro traveller's checks and convert them at each port or is it best to charge everything and pay when you get back? Thanks for any suggestions.

Archived