transfer from Hobby to Galveston

thehams

Having never sailed from Galveston before, I worried about the transportation from Hobby to the port. I did a lot of research on the best way to do it. We were six of us, DH, DS, DIL, and 2 grandkids. I was ready to book super shuttle but DS had called a cab company and was assured we could do the trip for under $100. I believe super shuttle would cost $140 one way. The Carnival bus would have cost 210.

After we got our bags, went out to the taxi stand, got an available van, and headed to Galveston. The trip took 45 minutes and cost us $95. We gave him $120 and considered it a deal. We would have tipped any driver the same amount.

I had read a lot on these boards that taxis were by far more expensive. I just wanted to let you know, they were not.

Thanks for this. This is what I've heard too, that a cab is comparable and direct and private. I've been researching all these different shuttles but a cab may be the best way to go.

One question...what about when you returned? Were there ample cabs available to take you back to the airport? Thanks.

When we were dropped off, our cab driver offered to come back and pick us up in a week. Not being really sure if we should commit to that, we didn't. Once we got off the ship, the taxi stand was right in front of us. Other people around us had prearranged their taxis and after making a phone call were picked up. We stood in line maybe 20 minutes for an available taxi. There did not seem to be an abundance of free taxis. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have prearranged our ride. All in all it worked out just fine, it wasn't horrible.

When we were dropped off, our cab driver offered to come back and pick us up in a week. Not being really sure if we should commit to that, we didn't. Once we got off the ship, the taxi stand was right in front of us. Other people around us had prearranged their taxis and after making a phone call were picked up. We stood in line maybe 20 minutes for an available taxi. There did not seem to be an abundance of free taxis. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have prearranged our ride. All in all it worked out just fine, it wasn't horrible.
Thanks! I'm going to look up the taxi companies there and see if I can pre arrange a round trip.