Questions about the 90 day window for reservations?

1stTimeRoyal

Going to Bermuda in early June, we have a party of 6 adults and 2 children. Our 90 day window opened up, and now we can make ADR in the Specialty restaurants, but also the free dining rooms (Going on the Breakaway).

Is it common to make reservations for the free dining rooms ahead of time? I figure it might be hard to get a party of 8 in the MDR so I guess we could avoid waiting by making a reservation? (The problem with this is getting 8 people to commit to a time/place)

Also, from people who have been on these megaships, how hard is it to get a specialty reservation once you are actually on board? Is this something you recommend doing precruise even though you have to pay in advance? For us, it would probably just be a table for 2, with the 6 and 3 year olds in the kids club, so is getting a table for 2 tough on the ship, or can you get your reservations first day on the ship for the week no problem

Also....with the Breakaway for the last two cruises setting aside show reservations, should I still pre-book those and hope for the best?

Is it common to make reservations for the free dining rooms ahead of time? I figure it might be hard to get a party of 8 in the MDR so I guess we could avoid waiting by making a reservation? (The problem with this is getting 8 people to commit to a time/place)

Also, from people who have been on these megaships, how hard is it to get a specialty reservation once you are actually on board? Is this something you recommend doing precruise even though you have to pay in advance? For us, it would probably just be a table for 2, with the 6 and 3 year olds in the kids club, so is getting a table for 2 tough on the ship, or can you get your reservations first day on the ship for the week no problem

Also....with the Breakaway for the last two cruises setting aside show reservations, should I still pre-book those and hope for the best?

I think some people like knowing they will be in the same dining room at the same time and therefore reserve ahead. I travelled with a party of 6 last August, and we usually called down to the dining room about a 1/2 hour before to reserve a table. My parents have mobiilty issues and we did not want them having to wait around for a table. The dining room staff was generally accommodating.

As far as reservations on board for specialty dining, I think a lot depends on whether you are willing to be flexible with your time/venue. We were able to get our party of 6 into Ocean Blue at the last minute on the last night of our cruise. However, I think prime times/venues do fill up and you may only be able to get very early or late reservations at certain venues. Also, if you have any interest in Teppanyaki, I would pre-reserve as it is a small venue with very limited availability.

If you have the option to pre-book the shows, I would go for it if you like planning. Worst case is they decide not to honor reservations and you have to try to get in night of. Best case, the reservations stick and you are all set.