Time to hotel in New York

fingal1962

We are travelling on the QM2 Anniversary voyage to New York in July and staying for three nights at the Waldorf. The hotel and transfers are arranged by Cunard and we were wondering if anyone could give us a rough idea of what time we are likely to get to our hotel. Is there a certain time the transfer bus leaves the port or are their several buses? This will be our first time in New York and we're busy planning what we want to do and would like an idea of how much of the day will be left by the time we get to the hotel.

We are travelling on the QM2 Anniversary voyage to New York in July and staying for three nights at the Waldorf. The hotel and transfers are arranged by Cunard and we were wondering if anyone could give us a rough idea of what time we are likely to get to our hotel. Is there a certain time the transfer bus leaves the port or are their several buses? This will be our first time in New York and we're busy planning what we want to do and would like an idea of how much of the day will be left by the time we get to the hotel.
Hi fingal1962

I've done this Cunard package stay in New York a few times (not at the Waldorf however, but my experiences may help you).

On my first visit I selected a "Transfer and Tour" which meant that we criss-crossed Manhattan time and again, and saw lots of traffic (mostly stopped) as well as the major tourist sites. We did stop for lunch (Macy's) and at Ground Zero. We arrived at about 2pm in time for check-in.

The last time we (elderly parents as well this time) we selected just the transfer, as the cap'n has said above, arrival at the hotel was about 10am. Obviously we were unable to check-in at this time, so cases were stored (I'm sure the Waldorf would do this in a secure place, our hotel did not until a fuss was made, they wanted to leave them piled in the lobby). We then made our way out and about.

Can I strongly recommend the "Top of the Rock" as an alternative to the Empire State Building, which can be hell on a busy, crowded day (that is an understatement). If you want more information and tips on what to see/do in New York as a first-time tourist, please ask.

Hope this helps, have a great visit, and Bon Voyage! :)

Tagging on to this thread

Has anybody been at the Marriot Hotel in Times Square or the Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn as we will be arriving in July off the QM2

Are they good hotels to enjoy 3-4 days in New York

Is it better to just get a limo from the pier or taxi

Will these hotels allow you to check in at 11am or such or at least safely store your luggage.

Final question , we will be leaving from Newark Airport to fly across the country , do you request a limo or such from the hotel and is the cost about $100 us

Thank you all

Rob

Hi, we travelled to New York and stayed at the Waldorf Astoria two years ago. The sail in was fantastic, something we were looking forward to and weren't disappointed. We were in our stateroom at 9:30am and on the coach dockside at 10:30am. Our arrival at the hotel was chaotic but what was worse we couldn't book in until 2:00pm. Hanging around until then was a pain but our five days in New York was magical. You will enjoy your stay.