About tenders...

polkadottedladiebugg

I will be a first time cruiser this Nov...have a stupid question. Places like Grand Cayman who have tenders that take passengers to the port, how much time does it actually take to get all the passengers together, board a boat and travel to the mainland. If for example we are scheduled to arrive at 8am, is it possible to make it to an excursion scheduled with an independent company for 830? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I wouldn't cut it that close when tendering and probably not even when docked. The ship's arrival time isn't set in stone. Also, it seems to me that passengers who have booked cruise ship excursions have the first chance at the first tenders. I would plan for a 9:00 am excursion as the earliest.

Thanks for your help Bruce!! Would you know of other islands that have tenders?
Sorry, I don't. What islands are you visiting? On the usual Western itinerary, I think only GCM is totally without a cruise dock. Only when there are many, many ships in Cozumel does one have to anchor and the passengers tender as there are 3 cruise docks there.

I wouldn't cut it that close when tendering and probably not even when docked. The ship's arrival time isn't set in stone. Also, it seems to me that passengers who have booked cruise ship excursions have the first chance at the first tenders. I would plan for a 9:00 am excursion as the earliest.

True that the passengers booked on ship excursions do get the first tenders, but there is also seating on the first tenders for other passengers. For ports where you are tendering, you will have to get tender tickets in the morning. They ususally set up a desk in front of one of the formal dining rooms. You do have to wait in line, but if you want tickets for one of the first tenders, I would suggest going down at least a half hour to an hour before the tickets will be handed out. (ie: if they start issuing tickets at 8, go down at 7). I had no problem getting tickets for the first tenders, and I had booked excursions with vendors outside the cruise line. Also, if you are in a suite category (other than JS), your cabin steward can get them for you the night before so you don't have to go down to the line.

Find out where the tenders are leaving from on the ship and make sure you are there on time. Once the tenders start, they move pretty quickly.

Honestly, if you got tickets for the first or second tender, you'd have no problem making an 8:30 excursion. Also, the vendors know the tendering issue facing passengers, especially if they are not a cruise ship sponsored vendor, and they will wait a short time for passengers, but not long as to incovenience the others.

I don't know when your leaving or with what cruise line but keep in mind there may be a difference between your ships time and actual island time. I'm going to be in GC in October thru Carnival. We arrive at 7am and I'm booked for a private excursion with a 7:45 meeting time. But, it will actually be 6am Cayman time when my ship arrives, so instead of having only 45 minutes to get there, I have 1 hr and 45 minutes. So, you may have more time than you think if your in the same situation. :)

Archived