Hotel outside the city

arkjeweler

I've stayed at the La Quinta in Slidell a couple of times and it was pretty good for the price. BUT, I haven't stayed there since it was flooded (a foot deep and more) back during Katrina. (Edit: But most of that area was, so I probably didn't even need to mention that.)

Right now I'm looking at the Wingate in Slidell.

http://www.wingatehotels.com/hotels/louisiana/slidell/wingate-by-wyndham-slidell-new-orleans-east-area/hotel-overview?hotel_id=45783&cid=whg_win_ta_bizlist_propsite&wid=ps:addppc_bl&tel=18003370070&reg=appc-_-TABZLPP-_-45783-_-winsct

Thing is, there aren't all that many vacancies for the night we need. Late April, still 6 weeks away, it surprises me a bit.

Overall, I like the Slidell area for accommodations. It's outside the city, generally cleaner, but most hotels are right off I-10 and an easy hop into town. But we're coming from the east, so maybe that's why I know that area so well.

Edited by Moonarino

What suburb to recommend depends on which side of town you will be approaching. For example if you are coming from Mississippi, Alabama, etc then Slidell is a good suggestion. However if you are driving in from Texas or Northern Louisiana then I would recommend LaPlace, Kenner or Metairie.

There are some new hotels in the Covington area around pinnacle parkway. It's about a 50 minute ride crossing over lake ponchartrain to the port. There's a la Quinta and a new holiday inn express in the area.