R.O. - a word to the wise:

Red October is great; however, on the second day we were advised to meet earlier on the dock as they had obtained an early entry into

Catherine's palace. What they didn't tell us was the there would be an additional $15 per person charge.

We also went to the Folkloric show the first night, which was exceptional We were quoted $42 per person based on the number in our group.

One couple of our group, was told, "No, it is $45 per person" As we had kept our e-mails re this, the $42 was honored.

So, get a quote and keep the original with you on your cruise.

rockgarden,

We are booked with RO June 18 & 19. Laura emailed me quite a while ago telling me of the $15 dollar charge for early admission to Catherine Palace. Did you enjoy the folkloric show. We booked that also.

Joan icon_smile.gif

Good, I am pleased that Laura did that. It came as a surprise to us. No problem paying, but it would have been nice to be notified.

Anyhow, the folkloric show was just terrific.

Do not miss!!

Have a nice cruise

We just got back from our Baltic cruise, May16-28. Red October was great. We met people on meet and mingle and designed our own tours for 6 1/2 hours the first day plus the folk show. I did not go the second day, but instead took the ships tour. Big mistake, waiting for everyone on and off the bus, couldn't hear the guide, lost the guide which is a big no no and hated every minute.

The folk show at the Hotel was great, I would say it is a don't miss. It was entertaining and very funny. On the first day we did a quick stop to look at St. Nicolas Cathedral which had a statue in front and a palace opposite (can't remember the name as you can get palaced and cathedraled out). Next we went to a place where they had ship parts on a tower, then to Peter and Paul fortress and cathedral which is where the Romanov's are buried. The tour of the cells might be a little rough on children, depending if they understand what torture and isolation can be. I think the tour guide will determine how graphic they want to get. I, myself found this place very upsetting escpecially the isolation chambers.

Then it was off to the Hermitage and the gold room. The Hermatige is hot, so leave coat behind and it is very crowded. This is where a small group can manuver easily. If you could look at every item for 30 seconds it would take 7-10 years so you can imagine how much you see in a few hours. After that we went to the Church of Spilt Blood. Amazing place, long lines, but RO greased some hands and we were in within 5 minutes. The place was packed like sardines and we could hardly hear our guide and there were only 7 of us. We had to end up being rude, shoving people to get around. I thought I would die of being crushed. After that it was back to the ship to eat and get ready for the folk show.

If you go to Peterhoff palace, bring money for the bathroom and bring toilet paper. Lysol and sanitary hand wipes would have been nice. Before putting toilet paper in a toilet, check to see if it will take paper or have a trash can to throw it in. Some toilets will not take paper and the ones at Peterhoff and Red October do not. Needless to say they get plugged fast because people do not read the signs.

Jewel of the Sea May 2004

Serenade of the Sea August 2003

Splendour of the Sea August 1999

Legend of the Sea August 1997

Rotterdam May 1989

First of all, thank you all for sharing.

I'm confused about the nighttime entertainment.

We are going with the 2 day tour, but thinking about adding nighttime stuff. Are there TWO venues? We were told about the concert/canal ride but that thing is around $75 pp. Is the other one at a different place? (Do I remember a hotel?) And what is the price and times etc of that one?

Thanks for your help!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Brahmama, are you looking for info on the Folk Lore show that you can book through Red October? It's the show performed by 50 professional dancers and singers. They performed in an air conditioned concert hall (very, very nice) located at Pulkovskaya hotel. It started at 08:00 pm and was over by 10:00 pm. Our group was only four people and we paid $54. If your group is larger, it's a bit cheaper.

Archived