Bourbon on NCL Jade

bourbondaniel

Ok, as you could probably guess by my login name, I am crazy about bourbon. :D I am trying to get myself ready for my cruise on the NCL Jade this summer (2015) out of Venice and really would like to know which bourbons are on board? And also their costs. I am looking into the UDP.

I have looked through many other posts, sites and so forth about drink lists, but I have only seen Jack Daniels, which is not actually a bourbon :eek:, but will do in a spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated, including anyone heading out on the Jade this year (2015).

Thanks.

Bourbon Daniel

I asked for "Bulleit Bourbon" at the Atrium Bar last month, since I saw the bottle right there on the shelf, and the barman proceeded to rifle through a cabinet until he found a bottle of Jim Beam. I stopped him before he poured it, and I said, "No, Bulleit, that one right there". And he looked at me contemptuously and said "Oh, not bourbon, then". WTH? :confused: I guess they only know about coffee at that bar.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

It would be great if Makers and Knob were on board. I did see Jack and Mr. Jack on the menu.

I have been a student of bourbon for a few years now and I look forward to help anybody who wishes to understand, even if it is a bartender. The last cruise, (Royal - Jewel), my wife and I became fast friends with our favorite bartender. He and I had great conversations about my favorite beverage as I cycled through trying each as a manhattan.

Thanks again all!!!

• 3 months later...
Ok, as you could probably guess by my login name, I am crazy about bourbon. :D I am trying to get myself ready for my cruise on the NCL Jade this summer (2015) out of Venice and really would like to know which bourbons are on board? And also their costs. I am looking into the UDP.

I have looked through many other posts, sites and so forth about drink lists, but I have only seen Jack Daniels, which is not actually a bourbon :eek:, but will do in a spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated, including anyone heading out on the Jade this year (2015).

Thanks.

Bourbon Daniel

Just figured out you are Lisa's husband. I have been posting on the NCL Jade site. I would be surprised if they did not have Maker's Mark on board. That is my bourbon of choice and always ask for it when getting a Manhattan. I became a fan after living in Louisville and visiting the Maker's Mark distillery several times. Breathing in the bourbon there is pure heaven. Looking forward to meeting you and Lisa.

Are mixers complimentary or charged extra on prices shown above in drink menu card? Thanks.

I believe if you order a certain liquor along with a mixer, like a Jack and Coke, you would just pay the price they are showing for the Jack Daniels, plus all their add-ons, 18% gratuity and on some itineraries, taxes, too.

Awesome. Thanks.

So, I see Woodford Reserve and Bulleit.

I appreciate the info!!!!

I would be happy with that as well. Bulleit is fine. One of our local restaurants features a Woodford Reserve Manhattan that I cannot pass up. If they would add Angels Envy and Basil Haydens to the NCL liquor shelves, I would be in heaven. I must say that with the increasing popularity of bourbon, the selection is somewhat scant. Look for it to improve.

I would be happy with that as well. Bulleit is fine. One of our local restaurants features a Woodford Reserve Manhattan that I cannot pass up. If they would add Angels Envy and Basil Haydens to the NCL liquor shelves, I would be in heaven. I must say that with the increasing popularity of bourbon, the selection is somewhat scant. Look for it to improve.

I got in some similar discussions regarding craft beer (on the Princess board I believe). While I'd certainly appreciate a larger selection of whiskies (scotch, in mycase), and whisk[e]y certainly is becoming more popular in many parts, I think its still a relatively small slice of the market. As you said, you're fine with Bulleit and Woodford, as are many knowledgeable bourbon drinkers, and I doubt many cruisers would find the selection such that they would spend their cruising dollars elsewhere. So from NCL's standpoint, there's not much incentive to add something for what may be a miniscule slice of the cruising population, particularly when the "demand" is luke warm.

I got in some similar discussions regarding craft beer (on the Princess board I believe). While I'd certainly appreciate a larger selection of whiskies (scotch, in mycase), and whisk[e]y certainly is becoming more popular in many parts, I think its still a relatively small slice of the market. As you said, you're fine with Bulleit and Woodford, as are many knowledgeable bourbon drinkers, and I doubt many cruisers would find the selection such that they would spend their cruising dollars elsewhere. So from NCL's standpoint, there's not much incentive to add something for what may be a miniscule slice of the cruising population, particularly when the "demand" is luke warm.

In the US, bourbon is giving scotch a run for its money over the last few years. Outside the US, not so true. You're right, though, whisk(e)y doesn't match other (read clear) spirits' sales. And, given the captive audience and penalty for smuggling, the lines don't have to provide any better than they already do. As far as craft beer is concerned, the lines will catch on eventually. Beer and macro brew sales specifically are dwindling. Eventually NCL will disengage from Anhueser Busch/Miller-SAB's talons and slim the selection of tasteless Bud light clones, replacing them with a few more select craft beers. Or so I hope.