Which stop in Stockholm?

Hi Northbound and others who would know......

In looking at the trains from Nynashamn into Sweden I see that there are choices of stops within Stockholm.

Where should we take the train to? Which one would leave us most centrally located to go to the Vasa Musuem and Old Town? The choices are:

Alvsjo in Solberga

Central in Norrmalm

Ostra in Norra DJurgarden

Sodra in Sodermalm

I was unable to find the scheduled times. Is there only one train per hour from Nynashamn?

Additionally, in another post someone mentioned that there are 4 train stations in Nynashamn. What's the name of the one we should be going to? Do we need to take a taxi there from the pier after we get off the ship's tender?

If it looks like times too short to buy a transit card at the station, can we buy the Stockholm Transport Card on the train? Credit cards okay?

Also, the ship leaves the port at 5:30PM and we're supposed to be back on the ship by 5:00. If the trains leave from Stockholm back to Nynhsham, can we take the 4:00 train back getting us back into Nynasham at 5:00? How long will it take us to get from the train station in Nynashamn to where the Princess ship will tender?

Thanks,

Jane

[This message was edited by Jane110 on 06-06-04 at 05:35 PM.]

Hi again Jane.

I will try to help you with your questions. First of all, the station to go to is the Stockholm Central Station, which is in Norrmalm. The Old Town is within walking distance from the station. If you want to visit the Vasa Museum, buss 47, which stops just outside the station, will take you there.

The trains leave from Nynäshamn at 7:07 am, 7:37 am, 8:07 am, 8:37 am, 9:07 am, 10:07 am, 11:07 am etc. To go back from Stockholm there are trains at 12:52 pm, 1:52 pm, 2:52 pm, 3:22, 3:52 pm, 4:22 pm etc. The trains at 7:37, 8:37, 3:22, and 4:22 run only on workdays, not on Saturday/Sunday. I am not quite sure that there are no changes to this when the summer holiday season starts, so check the going back time carefully.

I don’t think you need to take a taxi to get to the train in Nynäshamn, I believe it is close by. But I have never been there myself, except twice with a car, so I don’t really know the place. Here is what someone once posted on the board: There are 4 railroad stations in the small town of Nynäshamn. The Nynäshamn Farjeterminal is just outside the ferry terminal building, have very few train services. Do not wait for a train here! Aim for the church, just a fifth of a mile south of the above platform at the terminal. You want the “Nynashamnâ€station platform and buy the tickets at the hotdog/newspaper stand.

The transit card can as far as I know not be bought on the train. And if you have to pay on the train a credit card will not be good. You will have to carry some local currency.

When it comes to the time to go back I would personally never take the very last train that can get you there. What if there is a delay? If you have to be back onboard by 5:00 pm you will need time in Nynäshamn not only to walk to the pier, but also to tender! To be on the safe side for that you ought to take the 2.52 train with the 3.22 as back-up if something goes wrong. I am afraid that leaves you little time in Stockholm, but that is the problem with Princess.

Have a good time in Stockholm!

Northbound,

MANY thanks for your answers. I've printed up the info and it's already in my cruise folder.

Yes, the short time in ports is a problem with a large ship. It's my first time on such a big ship and I have a feeling my last. However I'm sure I'll be going back to Stockholm for a few days on my own at some point, so this will be a nice introduction.

Again, thanks.

Jane

Northbound, We will be in Stockholm in the beginning of August, what is the weather like then? Many thanks for all the information I've picked up from your posts.

Archived