Pharmacy questions

BigB0882

If I remember correctly, we bought a 3-pack for $30.00. It was a savings to buy the 3-pack, but I do not remember the exact price for a single inhaler.

Thanks; I emailed the pharmacy and they said they are still $30 for a 3 pack; a significant savings over what I have to pay for them here

How close to the ship are these pharmacies? Would love to get those inhalers! Anyone buy epipens there? Those run $50 here!

Discount Drugs and Souvenirs is in the downtown area. It is a good taxi ride from the Puerta Maya pier. But they stock literally everything. There are pharmacies all over the island that are probably closer. You can email Bobbie at Discount Drugs at: ferbambam@yahoo.com and she will tell you exactly how much things cost. I've been dealing with her for years and she will also have your order bagged up and ready for you if you want.

How close to the ship are these pharmacies? Would love to get those inhalers! Anyone buy epipens there? Those run $50 here!

Epipen currently has a coupon that will reduce the cost (unless you have Tricare, Medicare D or a government insurance). Try looking online or ask your Dr. or pharmacy for a coupon.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember the name of it, but we use the pharmacy that is right in the port shopping area. I do not know if they have epi-pens or not.

We did purchase more inhalers last week - still $30 for a three pack.

• 4 weeks later...
When we went to Cozumel on the Elation back in December I was shocked at all of the pharmacies where you could get a lot of things that are prescription only in the U.S. I didn't get anything but thought about it. I have bad sciatica and was thinking of getting Soma for when I have bad bouts. Are these drugs considered safe? When I go back in June I may stop by and grab something but I don't know if it is safe.

We got carisopridol when we sailed the Ecstasy in '08 and it was fine. However, when we went back on the Triumph in '13, we were only able to find a carisopridol/naproxen mix (although we elected not to go "into town" because we had our toddler with us, so maybe the pharmacies there had a better selection), and it was also fine. Curious as to what we'll find this fall.

I have lived here for 8 years and lots of things have changed. Antibiotics are SUPPOSED to require an RX. That said there are pharmacies that have a Dr. set up for consultations. Cost is either free or 35 pesos. Great for simple colds, stomach upsets, ear infections etc. They then will write your RX which you are free to fill where ever you want. The Similari chain has many stores in Cozumel, the one on Ave 30 between Juarez and 2 or the one on 11 (the street that runs straight up from Margaritaville, then just past the round about on the left side, are the closest for cruisers. They carry mostly generics at very cheap prices and 25% discount on Mondays. Ahora is another chain usually with decent prices. Always check the expiration date on the bottle or box, although lately the clerks have been pointing the dates out. If you do not know the spanish name, be sure to write the English name and generic down and they will check their pharmacy book.

• 3 weeks later...
When we went to Cozumel on the Elation back in December I was shocked at all of the pharmacies where you could get a lot of things that are prescription only in the U.S. I didn't get anything but thought about it. I have bad sciatica and was thinking of getting Soma for when I have bad bouts. Are these drugs considered safe? When I go back in June I may stop by and grab something but I don't know if it is safe.

One point you need to consider, if you buy a controlled substance without a doctor's prescription in a foreign country and transport it to the US it is still illegal and can land you in jail. Depending upon the amount it might be considered drug trafficking and carry serious penalties.