Sneakers

Texascruisers

I wore sneakers every day in the dining room, as did most of our party and no one said a word. (and one pair of mine was pretty old and ugly -- of course, I was under Doctor's orders only to wear the old shoes until a problem with my foot healed so there wasn't much choice.)

Of course, we were also on the Alaska cruise where they allowed people in the dining rooms in jeans, t-shirts and sweats, even on formal night.

Keystonecruiser, what ship were you on that allowed jeans in the dining room and how long ago was this? To my understanding the only ships that you can wear jeans in the dining room is when you leave from Houston. We sailed on the Sea last year out of Houston and had no idea that we could have worn jeans. (you always find these things out after the fact! LOL) I'm almost positive that there was a dress code sign by the door of the restaurants that said no jeans.

I wanna go on the ship you did as jeans are my daily attire!

The daily news lets you know what the dress code is. On Norwegian, if you are unwilling to abide the code, you should eat at the buffet or in room service. A dress code is simply that. I don't want to dress up according to code every night, and on those nights I go up to the buffet. After more than a dozen NCL cruises, I think freestyle is THE way to go. Dress as you please. Please, though, show some consideration and dress according to the code if eating in the main dining or the "pay for" dining. That is why they give you options and one should respect the code they have asked for each night.

Freestyle cruising lets you decide. But if you don't wish to dress according to the prescribed code, please eat at the buffet or in room so that you can be as casual as you like. A dress code should still be respected. When I don't want to dress according to code, I forego the dining room and go to the buffet or the barbeque. That is what freestyle is meant for.

Keystonecruiser, what ship were you on that allowed jeans in the dining room and how long ago was this? To my understanding the only ships that you can wear jeans in the dining room is when you leave from Houston. We sailed on the Sea last year out of Houston and had no idea that we could have worn jeans. (you always find these things out after the fact! LOL) I'm almost positive that there was a dress code sign by the door of the restaurants that said no jeans.

I wanna go on the ship you did as jeans are my daily attire!

Spunkikay: I was on the Star this past July and even though they had signs posted outside the restaurants, I saw people almost everyday in violation of the dress code. (not me, I have a large collection of polo shirts....lol) I have explained this in other threads and the consensus from other CC members is that the dining room personel do not want a confrontation with people.

One night, for example, I saw a family of four come in. The two teenage sons were wearing t-shirts and jeans, the father had on a sweat suit and the mother had on a warm-up suit. (the nylon type) The maitre'd of the restaurant was the one seating them even!! I saw similar things on other nights.

Normally it wouldn't bother me since I am person who believes that dressing up for dinner is silly anyhow (but I do it because rules are meant to be followed), but I had a group of new cruisers with me who I had instructed dilligently ahead of our cruise on the "proper" dress code on board the ship. It made me feel awkward when they see these people walk by and get seated and then ask me why it was allowed to happen. Personally, I would love someone from the Star to explain to me why it happened too!!

Archived