Is anyone back from their recent cruise on the Spirit?

Hikini

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Also, I was wondering who the CD is and what kind of entertainment you had.

At Sawyer Glacier were you able to go further in or were the ice floes too thick?

We sail on her next week, and I'm not getting anxious at all!:D

Just returned from a great cruise aboard the Spirit! Awesome time...great crew...GREAT food and service...nice cool weather...great pools, lovely, lovely ship.

Weather: was cool (55-60) usually overcast and some rain. Every day had its sun breaks, though.

CD is Kevin Warner, who has a calming voice for shepherding the tendering process over the intercom, etc. Nice guy, I think, but one of my pet peeves is when an MC, CD, etc. does the ol' "Come on, you can do better than that", "Are you awake out there?", "Let's really hear it this time", when the initial smattering of applause breaks out. I realize it's a technique for charging people up, raising the noise/excitement level, etc., but it has always been annoying to me. We had a pretty subdued crowd, so at every game show, karoake session, comedian event, etc., we had the same type of intro, "I can't hear you, crowd, are you out there?", etc. If you can get past that, I think you'll have fun.

I thought the production company was no where near as good as the Jean Ann Ryan company we have enjoyed in the past on NCL. We missed the strong solo vocalists. The first intro show was pretty discouraging, but it DID get better over the week and others seemed to really enjoy it, so who knows?

The guest vocalist was awesome. Comedian and Magician/comedian were entertaining (aside from the aforementioned technique of audience belittling). Ariel Jacobe, Pryme Time, and The Love Brothers and Lira were very enjoyable in the lounges throughout the ship.

Seems like we didn't get very near the glacier due to conditions--lots of ice in the water. The Tracy Arm portion, though, was absolutely spectacular in and of itself.

Any other questions, let me know. I don't think I'm going to get a full review out before you leave, so feel free to keep me chatting on this thread.

What do you have planned for Ketchikan? I would recommend an excursion to get you off the ship, as it takes quite awhile to get everyone tendered off. With an excursion you can disembark first and get more out of the stop. We did the lumberjack show, which was a hoot.

Thank you so much zimmerjulie! Ariel Jacobe was on our NCL Sky cruise in 2003. He is excellent on the piano!

Glad to hear you had such a good time. As far as Ketchikan, we have no plans. Having done this cruise twice before (2 other ships) we don't 'need' to do anything - other than shopping of course.

I have been looking at the calendar that shows which ships will be in port at the same time, and since this is towards the end of the AK sailing season, it looks like we won't have to compete for dock space in Juneau or Ketchikan. I hope that's the way it truly is, so there is no tendering.

What kind of menu items were a real stand out to you? Did you get those Olde English style fish and chips at the Blue Lagoon, or Henry's Pub?

In Juneau I am meeting up with a friend of mine from here in Seattle. She is working up in AK for the summer. She's taking the day off so we can be together and I'm so looking forward to that.

Thanks again for your willingness to answer these sometimes silly questions!

Hikini:D

:) Had a really great time on the Spirit last week! I was surprised how close we got to the Sawyer Glacier,...although I know my friend was a bit disappointed because she wanted to go closer to the ice wall itself---we were nearly surrounded by floating, crackling, blue ice. It was fairly chilly on deck 13 in that narrow fjord (Tracy Arm), and a slicker and gloves are a good idea. You really need a smaller boat (or kayak) if you want to go closer than we did.

My favorite meal was breakfast, by far. Plentiful fresh lox and many types of fresh-baked breads, jams, cheeses, tomato, onions, capers; plus omlets, waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, hot & cold cereals, cb hash, bacon, sausages,... :)

It has been hard to post with all the technical difficulties!!

Just wanted to "WARN" you that the Fish & Chips were only available twice throughout the cruise. They are not on the menu in the Blue Lagoon, like they were last summer on the Star. Henry's Pub for lunch Sunday and Friday were the only times I saw them listed.

Loved the Coffee Toffee Parfait dessert on Lobster night...awesomely creamy and delicious, and I don't even like coffee. Perhaps you have tried this on past cruises? Also, awesome dinner in Le Bistro. Do you have any plans to possibly eat there? Everything I ate in Windows was good, too.:)

My favorite meal was breakfast, by far. Plentiful fresh lox and many types of fresh-baked breads, jams, cheeses, tomato, onions, capers; plus omlets, waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, hot & cold cereals, cb hash, bacon, sausages,... :)

Don't forget the french toast (yum), frittatas, and pear walnut blintzes (dining room). I'm getting hungry!

Loved the Coffee Toffee Parfait dessert on Lobster night...awesomely creamy and delicious, and I don't even like coffee. Perhaps you have tried this on past cruises? Also, awesome dinner in Le Bistro. Do you have any plans to possibly eat there? Everything I ate in Windows was good, too.:)

Oh gosh, I knew I'd regret later not having that Coffee Toffee Parfait dessert! Now, I am salivating at the mere mention of it! Too many yummy choices!

Archived