Camp Carnival age 9-11

bridgie04

We were on the Pride last fall with our 10 year old. He really liked Camp, but didn't stay there constantly. He'd check out what was going on and go to what he liked. We were on in Sept. so there weren't many kids. He had wanted to do the late night party, but no other kids signed up so it was canceled. We let him check himself in and out, but we were able to keep in touch because we had a ship cell phone for our 2 year old (who spent 20 minutes at camp and would not ever enter the room again...).

I have the activity schedule that I can scan if anyone wants it--not sure if there are more recent ones floating around though.

We were on the Pride last fall with our 10 year old. He really liked Camp, but didn't stay there constantly. He'd check out what was going on and go to what he liked. We were on in Sept. so there weren't many kids. He had wanted to do the late night party, but no other kids signed up so it was canceled. We let him check himself in and out, but we were able to keep in touch because we had a ship cell phone for our 2 year old (who spent 20 minutes at camp and would not ever enter the room again...).

I have the activity schedule that I can scan if anyone wants it--not sure if there are more recent ones floating around though.

I'm curious too, we are sailing the glory in May. Out of curiosity, do you know why your 2 year old wouldn't go back? Was it just because it was unfamiliar territory? We are taking our 3 year old and 9 year old. Our 3 year old goes to daycare part time so I wonder if he might be ok or get freaked out since it will be unfamiliar faces.

Also, what is the policy on changing diapers? Our 3 year old is "trying" to potty train, but hasn't gotten there yet...when he's busy, he doesn't even think about it. :rolleyes:

Our kids have always loved CC since we've been brining them on cruises. The youngest they have been on a cruise is age 5 and 6, respectively. Before the age of 5, I don't think they would have enjoyed it as much as they were both pretty clingy.

We did Oasis of the Seas last year, and neither one were very interested in their kids' program. We just didn't feel like it was very well-structured and the kids were really wild! My youngest is very active, but even he felt like the kids were just running all over the place. I feel like Carnival outdoes RC in this category.

Programs are structured, but varied enough to be fun for most kids, most of the time. Pick up the activities schedule when you get on board and have your kids pick out what they are most interested in participating in. Having some choice in when they get to go will help get things off on the right feet :). I also recommend allowing her to sign herself out so that she can participate in the scavenger hunt. They go in small groups and this is usually the highlight of the trip for 9-11 year olds.

I'm curious too, we are sailing the glory in May. Out of curiosity, do you know why your 2 year old wouldn't go back? Was it just because it was unfamiliar territory? We are taking our 3 year old and 9 year old. Our 3 year old goes to daycare part time so I wonder if he might be ok or get freaked out since it will be unfamiliar faces.

Also, what is the policy on changing diapers? Our 3 year old is "trying" to potty train, but hasn't gotten there yet...when he's busy, he doesn't even think about it. :rolleyes:

They will change diapers. I suppose if you're not comfortable with it, they can call you on your phone so you can come do it. My son was newly 2 and hasn't been in daycare or had sitters, so I think that was why he wouldn't go. The staff was very nice and every time we dropped off our older son or saw the Camp Carnival girls in other parts of the ship, they always said, "Hi, Owen! We want you to come back and play with us.", but we could never get him to go. He is just very clingy to me and we didn't expect him to go to Camp, but were hoping a little that he would. We are cruising again next winter and he will be 3.5 and hope he will partake of NCL's kid's area. By that time he will have (hopefully) potty trained and have gone through a little "preschool" that our local high school does with their human development class and will be more independent.

While it's been close to a thousand years since my D was this age range (she's 26!) when she was that age range was when she ADORED Camp Carnival! I mean, she would literally get checked in and I would hardly see her again until dinner time. Then she'd go back after and we'd reconnect when camp closed for the night. This is a great age for camp. The kids are not socially awkward, they make friends quickly and easily, and for the most part, don't want to be with "old people" like their parents! Once she hit the 12+ zone, camp was O.U.T. for her! That's when she decided she liked to find quiet places on the ship to read, people watch, and basically chill out. She is that way to this day.