Hawaiian Excursions for the Carnival Legend--May 7th, 2015

CarnivalCreed

Hello all,

I've got several excursions lined up that I'm excited to partake in and just wanted to see what excursions you all are doing or would like to do. Leaving on the 6th of May with the family for our first Hawaiian adventure so exciting times for sure. Thanks for indulging!!

We did no excursions on our 10 day Hawaiian cruise on Celebrity. Since we speak the same language ;), we rented cars at every port and headed out on our own. Don't know your ports, but check out the rentals because it could save you a bunch of money. The road to Hana was fantastic. Take a picnic and enjoy the views.

We did no excursions on our 10 day Hawaiian cruise on Celebrity. Since we speak the same language ;), we rented cars at every port and headed out on our own. Don't know your ports, but check out the rentals because it could save you a bunch of money. The road to Hana was fantastic. Take a picnic and enjoy the views.

You're absolutely right. I went ahead and cancelled an excursion in favor of your idea. Thanks

Yeah but I haven't seen much in the way of excursions

I think the reason someone suggested checking out your roll call is that often people on them like to find others to join them on independent excursions they're setting up.

Personally we've never planned an excursion with others. Most of the time I will get some guidebooks and read up on our ports, and google each port for some tourism sites. There are so many books and tourism sites for Hawaii. I've collected some books I've used for land trips in 1990 and (honeymoon) 1995 and have referred to them for our three Hawaiian cruises, using the tourism sites to update any changes. Your local library will have plenty books on the islands and if you narrow them down to one or two, you can always buy the latest edition on Amazon.

We'll narrow down what the three of us want to do and then figure out the logistics. My hubby's #1 rule: no rental cars as he doesn't want to spent port time driving (we did get a rental car on Kauai for our honeymoon and drove all over the island). My #1 rule: don't expect me to do ziplining or anything else too risky for my bones. If we're deciding to do an excursion like a tour, we don't mind booking through the ship -- I have compared the prices and haven't found significant mark ups (yes, really) and we haven't been in a group of 40 or so as some people will claim. Maybe it's the ones we've selected, but that's our experience.

For our second Hawaiian cruise, which was exactly five years to the day after the previous one, hubby, who had been through a lot including his mother's terminal illness, asked that we just basically beach it or do simple sightseeing on our own.

So for us, on our three cruises, which were all during the holidays and all on Princess:

Hilo: 1. Waterfalls and windward tour (only ten total on this tour and that included the guide/driver). 2. Various sites, including a candy factory, Hilo Hattie's/Prince Kuhio mall, the waterfront. 3. Pouring rain so we caught the shuttle to Walmart to get souvenirs and a few thing (I was out of Sudafed and bandaids) that I needed

Honolulu: 1. Sea Life Park (our girl was 8 then), Aloha Tower Marketplace 2. Ala Moana Mall (my choice:) 3. Nautilus sub off of Waikiki Plus some beach time by the Hawaiian Hilton, where we spent our time on Oahu for our honeymoon

Kauai: 1. beach by the port (you can walk or take a shuttle to Anchor Cove shopping Center; it's by the Marriott), then Hilo Hattie 2. beach by the port 3. the Movie and Waterfalls tour (I think this was my best excursion ever) booked through Princess, we went to various sites where filming took place, and had lunch at the diner featured in the movie "The Descendants"

Maui (the port of Lahaina): 1. snorkeling excursion then an hour of sightseeing close to the Banyon Tree 2. took the bus up to the Cannery Mall and then walked to a dojo that my daughter (then 13) picked out during our research -- has the biggest Buddha, bell east of Asia, then back to the mall. Then a late lunch at an eatery that seemed very popular at the Wharf Cinema Mal. 3. took a taxi (the bus also goes there) to Ka'anapalli Beach for Whaler's Village (an open air shopping center that was open that day, Christmas).

So nothing really active or dangerous. But you'll be able to research very easily. If you're renting a car, the guidebooks and a good map would be important.

• 1 month later...
Hello all,

I've got several excursions lined up that I'm excited to partake in and just wanted to see what excursions you all are doing or would like to do. Leaving on the 6th of May with the family for our first Hawaiian adventure so exciting times for sure. Thanks for indulging!!

Hi Patty,

>

This is my wife and mine 1st cruise to the Hawaii Islands. Our plan is to do Pearl Harbor VIP, Military Bases &WWII Battlefield on our own. We are going to try to find another couple to share a taxi @ 7 am to Pearl Harbor on the 7th. Being in our early 70's we booked the following tours because we didn't want to trust other venues to get us back to the port on time.

>

The Maui Luau & Iao Valley & Maui Tropical Plantation in Maui.

The Hilo City & Akaka Falls

The "Sense-sational" Kona

And lastly Waimea Canyon & Wailua River Tour in Kauai (Nawiliwili)

>

Pray that this is helpful. Tom