Upgrade/upsell on the Dawn 10/30/05

chief d

Good Morning Jackie,

Hey not to worry about that post. The people we are going with cruised on the Dawn in Dec 04. We were suppose to go to, but things happen. Anyway I was asking for a independent view. I too was offered a much high suite, but at a very "large" cost increase. I have my fingers crossed for you that you get a great deal. Maybe we can cruise together on our next cruise. You also sound like your fun person. I'm/we are thinking the Jewel out of Boston maybe next year. (Just thinking right now.)

Yup we are neighbors, heck your just down the road a piece. LOL What part of Plymouth do your cousins live in? We are from Cedarville. (South Plymouth.)

Thanks Jackie, and have a great day.

Charlie

Hi Charlie Chief D,

Thanks for the finger crossing, so are mine. I still haven't heard anything, but I'm trying to be patient. At least the prices should go down as the date gets closer. If we get it, we get it and I sure hope we do. If we don't, c'est la vie!!! We've never had a bad time on a cruise, even in an inside room, even when they lost our luggage for a whole week and we got it back 1/2 way through the cruise, even when my hubby cut his foot on the escalator and had to have 12 stitches. You have to make your own fun in life. I feel bad for the people who complain about some minor things, that they're not able to roll with the punches and enjoy themselves. We'd be miserable if we let everything get to us. Just gotta shake things off sometimes for our own benefit I guess.

We were thinking about the Jewel out of Boston also. I like the fact that we don't have to fly by going out of NY or Boston. A nice perk and we can spend that money at the bar. he he.....

One of my cousins and his family live on Wendy Lane and the other on Sansome St.

I don't really know Plymouth well enough to tell you where they are.

Yes, maybe we'll end up cruising together one of these days. Would be fun.

Enjoy your weekend. We're off to CT.

Jackie

Charlie,

BTW, I loved the Dawn. It's very colorful and upbeat. If I were decorating it, I would do a few things differently though. Not exactly my taste, but I still liked it. I wasn't crazy about the pool bar, which is usually one of our favorite meeting spots. We loved the one on the Mercury because it was much more intimate being an oval shape. The one on the Dawn is long and you really don't get to chat with your barmates much. I rarely, if ever saw anyone sitting there. I think it's used more for service. Oh well, a minor thing. There are plenty of other places to meet people. I thought it was more difficult with the Freestyle to establish the relationships you do at a fixed dinner seating. We've alway met great people at our dinner table. (Well, all except one couple on the Mercury) He thought 16 days of talking politics was fun. Sorry, not for us. We changed our table after we tried switching the subject a few times the first night and we were told by him, 'I LOVE POLITICS'. We ended up at another table with great tablemates, so all was well.

For the most part, the Dawn was great and we were treated very well by all. The first dinner we had was at Salsa and our waiter was indifferent until it was time for us to leave. We were worried that the service would be like that through the whole cruise, but he was the only one.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to answer them. You sure did get a good upgrade and will surely have a ball.

Jackie

We came back from the 9/04 sailing of the Dawn. We booked this cruise at the nearly last moment because we needed to get away for a while. We booked a category AG guarantee (mini-suite) and were upgraded to an AE (penthouse). They did that without our asking. NCL may have upgraded us since we booked through their site and not a TA. Since NCL saves the commission (is it still 10%?), they may reward direct bookings with upgrades.

Needless to say, we were quite pleased. The pricing for that cruise was quite aggressive since school starts for many kids and vacation time is over for many families. Interetingly, mini-suite guarantees for the prior and following sailings were 5-% higher than ours (which is why we booked that date). Until I read this thread, I would not have thought to ask about upgrades. thanks for the info. Have a good cruise whereever you go and what ever accommdations you get.

Hey Jackie,

Thanks for your views on the Dawn. You loved it, my friends loved it. And I know we'll love it. The only ship in MHO that was "just a bit over the top" was the Carnival Legend. If you like Greek urns, it great. LOL My wife and I always look for a nice "cozy" bar. So you can carry on a conversation without to much noise. We never had bad tablemates. I guess we've be lucky, (so far). And as you said we have never a had a really bad cruise. Some just a little better than others.

So you went to Ct huh? I was born and raised in New Haven. Still have a sister there and a sister and brother in West Haven. And lots of other family and friends thru-out the state. Hope your having a great weekend too.

Robert G.,

You may be right about booking thru NCL direct. But I do find it funny, that if I didn't ask I may never had gotten a upgrade, and found the price of the cruise had dropped. So I guess it doesn't hurt to ask for something you want. We also booked this cruise later than we usually do. My T/A called me about another cruise that I had inquired about, but my wife told me that she couldn't go at that time. So we have VERY GOOD FRIENDS going on this one so we told our T/A to book this one. And we really weren't complaining about our cabin, because we weren't even suppose to be on this cruise.

Tried to post this as a new thread, but the board isn't cooperating today. Anyone out there who has stayed in a BA balcony (or any balcony stateroom, for that matter, since they're all the same as far as size and layout) AND an AF mini-suite? Looking at the floor layout in the NCL brochure, it appears that, while the AF is larger than the BA (229 SF vs. 166 SF, but same size balcony) the closet/storage space does not seem to be as large as the balcony SR.

Any thoughts? chief d: now the couple who's travelling with us is thinking of upgrading, so we decided, what the heck? If they can upgrade, so can we! We'll definitely consider upselling to the AF if we get the same deal you got AND we're not going to be losing closet/storage space -- I tend to overpack -- I just can't help it! :D

Welove2cruise2, The BA balcony's aren't all the same size. The ones on the Aft of the ship will be larger, up to 96 sq foot for a BA aft balcony on deck 10. The mini suites have a curtain that divides the sitting area and the bed, where the BA has almost no room between the bed and the pull out sofa.

Thanks immargaret! Right now we're in a BA on deck 10, midships, starboard side (wish we could get one of those aft staterooms, that would be awesome!).

What about the closet/storage space just inside the door in the AF? In the brochure, that storage space looks a lot smaller than in a standard BA...

Welove2cruise2,

The balcony on our BC was 37sq. And the one for the AF is 54sq. And Immargaret is right, not all balconeys are the same size. But not all aft balconeys are 96sq either. It all depends on where your SR is located. As the old saying goes, location, location, location. You will/should have some more closet space in a AF.

43 LONG DAYS TO GO...

chief d: you are right about the balcony size -- guess I didn't do my homework! But, if you've looked at the brochure, the closet space does SEEM to be less than a balcony stateroom.

Surely there's SOMEONE out there that has stayed in both and can comment on the closet/storage size?? :confused:

Charlie...nice score on the AF mini.

Welove2cruise2

We had a Mini AF on our last Dawn cruise and booked it again for this cruise..lots of room and closet space. The bathroom has tub with a sliding door..NO CURTAIN..and you get concierge servce too..the only reason we are in a AE is because we were able to get an upsell for $50 pp..

If anyone can get from a balcony to MINI AF for not too much money...DO IT

Hey Jackie,

Thanks for your views on the Dawn. You loved it, my friends loved it. And I know we'll love it. The only ship in MHO that was "just a bit over the top" was the Carnival Legend. If you like Greek urns, it great. LOL My wife and I always look for a nice "cozy" bar. So you can carry on a conversation without to much noise. We never had bad tablemates. I guess we've be lucky, (so far). And as you said we have never a had a really bad cruise. Some just a little better than others.

So you went to Ct huh? I was born and raised in New Haven. Still have a sister there and a sister and brother in West Haven. And lots of other family and friends thru-out the state. Hope your having a great weekend too.

Hi Charlie,

You're welcome... I know you will also love it and you'll have a great cruise. We've never been on Carnival, so I don't know what it's like. Our friends went a few months back, and they weren't crazy about it, but they had a good time.

Just back from CT last night and we had a lot of fun. We lived in Danbury for about 13 years and still have a lot of friends there. Pretty close to New Haven... Neighbors all around, huh!!!

I still haven't heard anything about an upgrade and don't know what cabin we've been assigned yet. Still waiting...

Jackie

Hi Again Charlie,

I called my T/A this morning to put a bug in her bonnet. She hadn't yet called the upsell desk and said she would today. She just called back with 3 upgrade offers for me. I went with the Owner's Suite again. They had upgraded us from BE to BB for free which we would have loved too, but when she told me that we could upgrade for more $$$, I jumped at it. Don't know if I would have done that if I hadn't stayed in the OS last time. It sure does spoil you.

Thank you again for giving me the info on the upsell desk. Wish you guys were on our cruise. Next time, maybe.

Jackie

Hi Again Charlie,

I called my T/A this morning to put a bug in her bonnet. She hadn't yet called the upsell desk and said she would today. She just called back with 3 upgrade offers for me. I went with the Owner's Suite again. They had upgraded us from BE to BB for free which we would have loved too, but when she told me that we could upgrade for more $$$, I jumped at it. Don't know if I would have done that if I hadn't stayed in the OS last time. It sure does spoil you.

Thank you again for giving me the info on the upsell desk. Wish you guys were on our cruise. Next time, maybe.

Jackie

Hey Jackie,

NOW THATS WHAT I CALL A "GREAT" DEAL. I had more offers but for "way to much money." I must be doing something wrong. :confused: LOL Your welcome for that #. I hope you can use it again in the future. Hey there is always next year, to be on the same cruise. And you can bet it would be a blast. (Party until we drop.) Ya right maybe a few years ago. :)

Hi Charlie,

She just called back and it's a done deal. We're in the same OS as last time, #9506. It was a lot more money for the OS, but after being in it last year, I just couldn't resist. I talked to my hubby about it this time so I knew he wouldn't mind. Last year I just said okay and showed him the pics of the OS and told him all the perks we were getting. He said he would rather go once a year and spend the extra $$$ than twice a year. Tough decision, but at least we agree.

We'll have to have a CC gathering there one night, maybe a cocktail party. I'm getting very excited now. We'll party until we drop too... at 9 PM. ha ha... Can't stay awake like the old days anymore.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jackie

Hi Charlie,

She just called back and it's a done deal. We're in the same OS as last time, #9506. It was a lot more money for the OS, but after being in it last year, I just couldn't resist. I talked to my hubby about it this time so I knew he wouldn't mind. Last year I just said okay and showed him the pics of the OS and told him all the perks we were getting. He said he would rather go once a year and spend the extra $$$ than twice a year. Tough decision, but at least we agree.

We'll have to have a CC gathering there one night, maybe a cocktail party. I'm getting very excited now. We'll party until we drop too... at 9 PM. ha ha... Can't stay awake like the old days anymore.

Jackie

Congrats on upsell! Don't need to tell you that you will love it ;). DW grabbed 9506 on an upsell for the 7/31/05 cruise and was going to surprise me when we got on board. Suspense was too much and she spilled the beans about two weeks before. I'm glad she did, since the anticipation was alot more fun than the surprise would have been. Have a great cruise.

Congrats on upsell! Don't need to tell you that you will love it ;). DW grabbed 9506 on an upsell for the 7/31/05 cruise and was going to surprise me when we got on board. Suspense was too much and she spilled the beans about two weeks before. I'm glad she did, since the anticipation was alot more fun than the surprise would have been. Have a great cruise.

Thanks NYHartChapp,

No, you don't have to tell me, it will be like going home. ha ha... I wish!!! We sure did love that OS and can't wait to sail in it again. The upsells are great and if I continue to get them, I will only sail on NCL. We've never sailed the same cruiseline more than once until now and the upsells are a big reason for repeating. We also like the fact that we can drive to the port. We wil drive from MA on Saturday and stay with friends in CT and leave Sunday morning with just a one hour drive.

It sure would be a tough secret to keep. I had to call my hubby as soon as I found out today. I bet you and you DW had a wonderful time. We will know more about all of the perks this time. We weren't too sure about anything the first time except what we were told. Now we will have to dream about the Garden Villa. ha ha

Thanks for the good wishes.

Jackie

Congrats, chief d! Party's at your place!! :D

I've been SOOO tempted to call for an upsell, but we have friends going with us (we talked them in to it -- never cruised NCL before) and they're practically across the hall from us. I'm afraid they'd be insulted if we switched cabins! :rolleyes:

Tell 'em you got an offer you couldn't refuse! (No need to mention you initiated the process).

It might be nice to have some space anyways.

Hi Charlie,

Jackie

Wow, I'm envious! Denny is the butler - a very hardworking gentlemen from the Philippines. He served us a wonderful breakfast on the side balcony every day. He generally brings afternoon snacks to all his cabins, and is of course more than happy to accomodate any and all special requests!

Irene and her co-worker (drawing blank) were marvellous stewards, always full of good cheer.

Have a fab time and do post details for the 9506 club!!

Wow, I'm envious! Denny is the butler - a very hardworking gentlemen from the Philippines. He served us a wonderful breakfast on the side balcony every day. He generally brings afternoon snacks to all his cabins, and is of course more than happy to accomodate any and all special requests!

Irene and her co-worker (drawing blank) were marvellous stewards, always full of good cheer.

Thanks TrinaLC,

We had John for a butler last time in 9506, and he was just great. He also brought snacks before dinner and goodies after each day. He brought us Bloody Mary mix and all the fixings too. I can't remember our steward's names, but she was always singing and he was always very discreet and did a great job, but we didn't see much of him.

When were you in 9506? Isn't it great!!! I never thought we would be able to do it again, but.... here we go in a couple of weeks. I was reading some posts last week about the 9506 club, but I can't find them now.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Jackie :cool:

Welove2cruise2, The BA balcony's aren't all the same size. The ones on the Aft of the ship will be larger, up to 96 sq foot for a BA aft balcony on deck 10. The mini suites have a curtain that divides the sitting area and the bed, where the BA has almost no room between the bed and the pull out sofa.

Not sure how accurate this is, but according to https://seaweb.it.ncl.com/consumer/stateroom_detail.cfm?Cat=BA&Num=10730&SC=DAWN, this aft BA balcony on 10 is 136 sq ft! and come February, it's mine!

Not sure how accurate this is, but according to https://seaweb.it.ncl.com/consumer/stateroom_detail.cfm?Cat=BA&Num=10730&SC=DAWN, this aft BA balcony on 10 is 136 sq ft! and come February, it's mine!

Majj,

I believe it's pretty accurate. If you go to NCL.com and click on Dawn and then deck 10 you can check it out. Looks pretty big to me. Have a GREAT time.

Jackie

Hi TrinaLC,

I just thought I would let you know that I sent your picture link to my hubby and he wanted to know who those people were in our room. he he.... Great pics BTW...looks like you both had a great time. NYHartChapp is your hubby, right??? I guess we scored a few points with our hubby's when they saw where they were staying and what a good deal it was with the upsell.

Counting the days!!!

Jackie

Archived