Dining with kids question...

Fidgell

I can say for certain that if I heard an electronic toy in a dining room that I would complain. It's no different than someone talking in a walkie talkie I a MDR or a cell phone in a restaurant on shore. Rude, rude, rude!

Unfortunately' date=' "rude, rude, rude" will not stop some people...especially when it involves their special snowflake.[/quote']

True, although a complaint to management would quickly take care of it. When our son was young he had a Gameboy, and used it a lot in restaurants. But--when we were in public places (restaurants, airplanes, shopping, etc.) the sound was OFF, or the game was taken away. The latter only happened once. ;)

True, although a complaint to management would quickly take care of it. When our son was young he had a Gameboy, and used it a lot in restaurants. But--when we were in public places (restaurants, airplanes, shopping, etc.) the sound was OFF, or the game was taken away. The latter only happened once. ;)

But Ducklite, you obviously understand the concept of parenting. It involves not being afraid to say "No" to your offspring--to set rules and stick to them. And to be willing to remove the offending child if he/she has a temper tantrum/meltdown/just cannot comply with the requisite behavior standards. My daughter has never forgotten the time I asked a restaurant server to pack up our food "to go" and removed her from the premises.

I don't know how a complaint to management would be handled on DCL. There is no specific rule that forbids the noise from the electronic game in the dining room, and they seem to be very hesitant to take sides if a dispute between guests arises. They manage it by moving the guest who makes the complaint (as in doesn't get along with seat mates.) And if the parent plays the "special needs" card, the staff is in a more difficult spot.