Snorkeling in Alaska Review

frostypenguin

Thanks to all on the boards here who helped with my questions over the past few months. We are just back from Alaska and have to say we LOVED the Mt. Point Snorkeling Adventure !!!

The staff there are excellent and were extremely helpful to the beginners in our group. They were very knowledgeable and personable and I would go on this tour again even though that took up 90% of our time in Ketchikan it was sooo worth it! We saw sunflower starfish, cucumber fish, herring and other fish I can't remember the names. I will try and post my photos later.

They outfitted you in wet suits (since it was about 65 the day we were there) with hoods and they had masks that you could use if you wore prescription glasses which worked great.

They guided you every step of the way and were very accomodating (hot water for when you got out of the beach, coffee and tea to warm up, etc.) - kudos to such a well run organization!

My husband, daughter (12), nephew (17) and I went on the Mt Point snorkel on our Holland America Statendam the first week of July and loved it. This was great and really different from any of my tropical trips. I swam through a huge school of sardine type fish it was amazing. The jelly fish were in bloom too (not poisonous) and they were everywhere kind of like a cloud - first time for me. This was great. Most of the guides are from the University of Humbolt's marine program. Very kind and knowledgable. The sea was pretty rough the day we went and a light rain but everyone did well and had a great time.

Archived