First Cruise With Kids

wanda1213

We cruised on Explorer last year with 11 yr DD. She had a blast at the kids activities, I had a hard time dragging her away. We did find that when there were scheduled Family activites almost no one came, so we had undivided staff attention! Late nights there is a fee, it was $5. per hour, my DD paid it out of her spending money so she could stay in the Adventure Ocean club with the other kids. Have a great time

Your kids are the perfect ages to fully enjoy the Explorer's kids programs. On our last cruise on the Mariner (similar ship), I felt that those programs were ideally suited for the 4-11 set, and you fit right in there!:) Our 10 year old son loved the program and he's very shy when he doesn't know anyone, but they ran a great program and he had so much fun he kept wanting to go back. We can't wait to cruise next summer with our kids and 4 & 7 year old niece and nephew.

I am booked with a family group cruise. I was on the Valor last year & my kids said they wish there had been more kids. They also had a bit of trouble meeting others. Really, there were not too many kids on that cruise. We book the Triumph 4-15-06 family group cruise so that we could travel with others with kids. Still 7 months before we sail and we are all talking and getting to know each other. Kids even chatting to eachother. We also got a nice discount.

Can you join us?

Karyn

• 2 weeks later...

My child really enjoys hanging out with the kids. It's really had to get her off the ship when we're at the port.

My advice is checking out the fine print: sometimes there's deadlines involved with signing up for the group babysitting or in-port babysitting. The cruiselines tend to be pretty picky with the rules and deadlines.

Bring some things for your kids to do in the cabin ie. colouring books, video games, whatever your kids like. I found that my son needed something to occupy him while we were busy in the cabin getting dressed for supper or getting ready in the morning etc.

We were just on Exlporer with ours - 6/8/10/11/12/14. I posted a Ocean Adventure review that you might want to read. (Lots of detailed info.) I hope that it helps to clarify any questions you have before you go. FYI: to to my name at the top of this post, click on Mamaxa, then POSTS MADE BY MAMAX4 and you'll find the review.

You're kids are about to have the time of their lives...and so are you!

When we first sailed with our kids, they were 9 and 11. After dinner, they would participate in Camp Carnival activities until 10pm and then we would meet on deck, see if there was anything happening that was family oriented (deck party, late night buffet). If not, we'd stop by the lido deck for pizza or ice cream and then head on to the cabin to wind down, and turn in for the night (if there was a movie on tv, we'd order room service--cookies/brownies and milk).

I never put them in late night babysitting or the overnighter. Although the kids that attended really enjoyed them, some of them were just too tired (and cranky) the next day if they stayed up too late. My son couldn't even find one of his friends on the last full day at sea----he had attended the overnighter so he slept the whole next day! My kids couldn't believe it, that he missed out on all the fun that day.

Of course, using the late night services is up to you, but, in my case, I tried to stick to a reasonable bedtime for all of us so we could enjoy every day at sea and in port without having to deal with overtired kids.

On our last cruise, they were older, 15 and 17, so they had a later curfew and my husband and I were able to enjoy some of the nightlife too.

We sailed on the Zenith to Bermuda this past June with my two DD's 9 and 5. They absolutely loved it!

Before every family vacation, I put together some little things for them to do during down time -- an inexpensive journal, coloring/activity books, crayons/pencils, sticker books (AC Moore has great little ones for $1.) I had a bag decent enough to bring to the dining room that I put the stuff in.

We talked a lot about the cruise before the trip so they would know what to expect. We watched videos about Bermuda and our ship. We told them there would be special children's activities (but that they wouldn't have to go if they didn't want to.) And we went over basic cruise etiquette -- no running in the halls, please and thank you (since there were so many people helping us out.)

We planned activities that the kids would enjoy -- swimming at the beach, light sightseeing, horse-drawn carriage ride, glass bottom boat tour. Older kids might like the snorkeling excursions.

The staff in the dining room and buffet were fabulous. My older one is a picky eater and she had chicken nuggets with extra fries every night for dinner. WE were pretty easygoing about what they had to eat, but we made it clear that once vacation was over we'd be back to a more balanced diet.

We talked a lot about the cruise before the trip so they would know what to expect. We watched videos about Bermuda and our ship. We told them there would be special children's activities (but that they wouldn't have to go if they didn't want to.) And we went over basic cruise etiquette -- no running in the halls, please and thank you (since there were so many people helping us out.)

We planned activities that the kids would enjoy -- swimming at the beach, light sightseeing, horse-drawn carriage ride, glass bottom boat tour. Older kids might like the snorkeling excursions.

The staff in the dining room and buffet were fabulous. My older one is a picky eater and she had chicken nuggets with extra fries every night for dinner. WE were pretty easygoing about what they had to eat, but we made it clear that once vacation was over we'd be back to a more balanced diet.

Excellent tips! Great preparation for the kids so they know what to expect (and what you expect of them). About the food......I'm like that too---didn't worry about what they were eating but I wish I knew, on the first 2 cruises with them, that they could have ordered steak or chicken any night (Carnival). They are teens now, still a little picky, and my older son ate the steak (filet mignon) 3 times out of the 7 night cruise!:)

I pick up items at the dollar stores or the One-Spot at Target - silly putty, colored pencils (the twist up ones are great), small play-dough, keychain games, etc. Don't let them at all of it at once, bring out new things throughout the trip. Some are cabin items, some should be appropriate for at the table.

Snacks - bring some and/or snab some of the individual boxes of cereal in the morning or some wrapped crackers. Something small while you are getting ready for dinner takes the "edge" off and makes for happier kids.

"scavenger hunts" create a daily listing of items you think you may see or expect TO see. Crude drawings work for some of the easier things for the younger one (orange baseball cap, Union Jack flag, etc.) As the kids get older the lists become more challenging and even a little edgy (someone in brown sandals with black socks!).

The suggestion to tell them what you expect of them is very important - it is a different situation that they are otherwise in.

Most importantly remember this is a family vacation. Do things together and enjoy yourselves as a family.

Archived