Review of our 69 day cruise to South America with pics

tartanexile81

Many thanks for your posts and the pictures. We also had a great time and really enjoyed the itinerary, particularly the Chilean Fjords, which I reckon was the highlight of the cruise.

Re Black Watch, yes it was 'grubby' in places, particularly the balconies. I was interested in your comment about the average age on board - 74 - where did you get that? Fortunately, we didn't get the bug, just had a couple of days feeling under the weather so we slept most of that time.

With respect, I'm really not convinced that the state of the ship contributed to the norovirus, I know there were a number of people who ignored the quarantine regulations!!

Thanks again for alerting us to the alternative tour in San Martin, Peru. Really good and much less than Fred's offering.

We are looking forward to some more cruises planned with Fred. Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

wft

Many thanks for your posts and the pictures. We also had a great time and really enjoyed the itinerary, particularly the Chilean Fjords, which I reckon was the highlight of the cruise.

Re Black Watch, yes it was 'grubby' in places, particularly the balconies. I was interested in your comment about the average age on board - 74 - where did you get that? Fortunately, we didn't get the bug, just had a couple of days feeling under the weather so we slept most of that time.

With respect, I'm really not convinced that the state of the ship contributed to the norovirus, I know there were a number of people who ignored the quarantine regulations!!

Thanks again for alerting us to the alternative tour in San Martin, Peru. Really good and much less than Fred's offering.

We are looking forward to some more cruises planned with Fred. Enjoy your upcoming cruises.

wft

The average age came from Kat Samuels the CD and apparently she was able to number-crunch that based on data available. She responded to a question a friend of mine asked. I have to say I was surprised it wasn't higher than that.

As regards the spread of norovirus and the shocking chest infections that pervaded the ship all cruise I feel very sure that the dilapidated air conditioning system must have contributed and I can certainly say that I have NEVER suffered from bronchitis before, NEVER HAD a cough like so many people did on this ship and NEVER been on a ship when Norovirus was so prevalent. A

So, for example, when I sat on the pool edge I could only see so many areas around me in poor condition where bugs could lurk and I certain

Y never would have swum in the pool. We've never been on a ship in such bad condition in all our years of cruising but the itineraries are good so we never say never. I think even FO acknowledges that Black Watch is in the worst condition in its fleet.

Glad you enjoyed Paracas and the Islas Ballesteras. Enjoy your next cruise too.

The average age came from Kat Samuels the CD and apparently she was able to number-crunch that based on data available. She responded to a question a friend of mine asked. I have to say I was surprised it wasn't higher than that.

Just promoted Kat! She is actually Deputy CD as I knew so don't know why I didn't type that

I think the dreadful chesty cough must have been on every ship this winter. Certainly was on radience Of the seas . I got it too. All you could hear for the whole 33 nights was coughing . Was not aware of norovirus though . If it was there I would have been sure to struck down with it . Will be back on Oceana eventually. As love bumping over the Atlantic in the winter !! Take care Sue

Tartanexile

Thank you for persevering with this review - I have thoroughly enjoyed taking this vicarious picture and diary report of your journey and you have whetted my appetite for our Val>BA cruise next year... We'll miss the other stops in Chile and the Panama Canal transit, but we start with some days in RdJ and the information you have given will be a huge help here and in some of the other ports.

You've also set me thinking about a Caribbean cruise from the UK, so that's something else for the list!

Thanks again

So after Montevideo it was a short trip across the river to Buenos Aires. We were a bit concerned about the fact we'd seen a TV show in December where British TV presenters and their film crew were attacked by Falklands Veterans. More of that later.

16825914987_3169280fee_b.jpg

Our first view of Buenos Aires was inauspicious with cranes and container ships. We'd read on this site that the shuttle to the terminal wasn't very frequent but I have to say we found it a fantastic service and on our first day in port there were three other ships but we didn't have to wait. The terminal building is really big with a selection of shops and a large seating area with wifi.

We'd booked a tour with Buenos Tours and our guide Jack arrived punctually. He's a semi-pro basketball player from Denver via Berlin and Colombia where his father was a diplomat and he immediately felt like a friend with his warm relaxed personality. We'd said we were happy to use public transport as we think it adds to the experience of new places but as we'd just arrived he treated us to a taxi!! However he advised us that we should get away from the port to get better taxis so we walked up through the Retiro area to Plaza General Martin, a large park 10 minutes or so from the port.

17031821162_2181dc6cfb_b.jpg

We headed across the city to Calle Defensa in the old part of the city and we loved walking round with Jack's detailed informative descriptions.

17031762722_f55feb2a12_b.jpg

We then took the subway a short distance from the oldest station on the oldest line to the city centre and it's hard to describe how amazing it is. We saw the quirky, the strange, the historic, the beautiful and the fascinating! Here we are at Café Tortoli with Jack

16410750184_386a43e350_b.jpg

some interesting shots!

17033205135_579f9129bb_b.jpg

16846987959_92ebf32d1a_b.jpg

It's so hard to sum it up in a short review but we can only say that Buenos Aires completely blew us away and exceeded our expectations 100 times over. It must surely be the most beautiful city in South America and it definitely has the sort of vibe we love. We could truly see ourselves living there. I know I'm going to run out of space for my photos on this port so before I even start to describe our amazing evening I'll start a new post with more photos.

I also want just to mention changing dollars to Argentinian Pesos. We asked for Jack's help and he took us to a newspaper kiosk. We'd read horror stories on CC about forged notes but Jack was confident this was the place to go. For anybody visiting BA in the future, the kiosk is on Calle Florida and right beside Hanley's on this street which just happens to be the main tourist shopping street. You get the best rate for $100 bills and we certainly got a far better rate than we ever imagined.

I am thoroughly enjoying your review and photos. One Q: WHAT is the best possible rate to hope for when changing US$ to Argentina Pesos??

Also, did you deliberately decide not to buy any pesos before embarking on your trip, or were you unable to?

marise

I am thoroughly enjoying your review and photos. One Q: WHAT is the best possible rate to hope for when changing US$ to Argentina Pesos??

Also, did you deliberately decide not to buy any pesos before embarking on your trip, or were you unable to?

marise

Hi Marise

The rate we got in BA was about 14 pesos to the US$ and we exchanged 2x new 100$ bills. We had read here that it was better to wait till we got to BA to buy our pesos and so it proved. We told our guide Jack this when he picked us up and he said that he'd take us to a safe place which was also really important to us. On Calle Florida there are DOZENS of people calling out for you to exchange your money with them but we ignored them. I lost my credit card in BA (genuinely lost it, not stolen!) and so unexpectedly we had to use cash on our first evening then next morning we went back to the same place on our own to get more pesos and got the same exchange rate. If you decide to do the same as we did , just look out for the store I mentioned and the stall is right in front of it. Rhona

Edited by tartanexile81

Hi Marise

The rate we got in BA was about 14 pesos to the US$ and we exchanged 2x new 100$ bills. We had read here that it was better to wait till we got to BA to buy our pesos and so it proved. We told our guide Jack this when he picked us up and he said that he'd take us to a safe place which was also really important to us. On Calle Florida there are DOZENS of people calling out for you to exchange your money with them but we ignored them. I lost my credit card in BA (genuinely lost it, not stolen!) and so unexpectedly we had to use cash on our first evening then next morning we went back to the same place on our own to get more pesos and got the same exchange rate. If you decide to do the same as we did , just look out for the store I mentioned and the stall is right in front of it. Rhona

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. That definitely is a good rate. We are not going until Feb.2016 but having never been in that part of the world, there is SO MUCH to research. Luckily, time is on my side;)

thanks again and I really enjoyed your review and fabulous pictures!

Marise

Thank you for your trip review. We are doing a 14 night cruise from BA to Santiago, Chile on Jan 3,2016 and your review was mentioned. So you will probably get lots of us looking at it. My husband really wants to see the Welsh Village in Puerto Madryn and I want to see the Penguins. Hope our cruise has a excursion that offers both. ( hope I have the right port) I'll look at your post again when we get more info on Ports of Call. Thanks for all your time doing a review.

Thank you for your trip review. We are doing a 14 night cruise from BA to Santiago, Chile on Jan 3,2016 and your review was mentioned. So you will probably get lots of us looking at it. My husband really wants to see the Welsh Village in Puerto Madryn and I want to see the Penguins. Hope our cruise has a excursion that offers both. ( hope I have the right port) I'll look at your post again when we get more info on Ports of Call. Thanks for all your time doing a review.

Happy to help! Don't be put off by the long drive from Puerto Madryn (yes, you got the name of the port right :)) to see the penguins because it is most definitely worth it. Our guide was excellent and explained so well about what we'd see that we felt well informed as we walked around and as you know from my review we were totally blown away by the penguins. Tea at Gaiman, the Welsh village, was delicious and the tearoom we went to had the most beautiful garden which was so unexpected in such an arid area. Hope your line does this trip.

BTW make sure you build in some time in BA pre-cruise and also explore Valparaiso where you dock before heading on to Santiago.

Edited by tartanexile81

• 7 months later...

Many, many thanks to you, Tartanexile 81, for taking the time to tell us all about your wonderful adventure. I am leaving for a South American cruise around the horn in a few days. Your information has been so helpful, and I am even more excited than I was before!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Tartan Exile 81. I think your should be Knighted for your fascinating account of

your South American cruise. Full of the most useful and informative information. A model of style and format for which all cruisers should be grateful. So much work for the public good.

Calm down....!! but I felt compelled to write.

We two likeminded explorers are off to follow in your wake in New Year and your information will be of great value.

Thank you

Gale How

• 1 month later...
We had a fab time on this cruise Sue, really unforgettable, BUT we wouldn't particularly choose Fred Olsen again. Looking forward to getting back to P&O in three weeks. When did you do the Caribbean on Oceana?

Really enjoyed your travelog!! We cruised around in 2013, Grand Princess, and will be doing again in January 2017 on Island Princess. Your pictures are great!

Thank u for all the time you put into it.

• 2 months later...

hi tartanexile81, j have a question to ask for rio, you bought the ticket online for corcovado train, j would like to made the same, but when you were there, you had the priority or you had to wait a lot of time for the train???

do you remember about the price for taxi from pier to corcovado??

thanks (we will be in rio in november 2016 from italy)

• 4 months later...
It's a pleasure John. I am enjoying writing it and remembering all the amazing things we did, but it is definitely distracting me from other things I SHOULD be doing :) It was an exceptionally long cruise but when you spend more than a week crossing the Atlantic each ways it's always going to be much longer than a regular cruise

Anybody else following this? Anybody got any questions?

FYI - almost 2 years later folks are still reading and enjoying your review! Thank you.

We sail on the Norwegian Sun from Valpasario to BsAs up to Rio then back to BaAs - boarding on Saturday. Can't wait. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

A message specifically for tartan exile 81.

We found this thread when researching a trip we have booked for January 2020 on Fred Olsen's Balmoral.

It is a similar itinerary to that you undertook a few years ago, it's a 70 night trip entitled South American Exploration.

We would like to thank you most profusely for taking the time to post (and load the beautiful pictures).

It has increased our excitement levels and also gave us many pointers as to the ports, the DIY opportunities and the availability of private guides.

Once again many thanks.

Keep enjoying your cruising adventures.

Margaret and Tony