Train from Zurich to Lucerne

ea6b5

Has anyone taken the train from Zurich airport to Lucerne? I have read that the station is below the airport and that there is two options one direct and the other goes to Zurich Bahnhof where you have to transfer. How long of a ride is it and do you put your luggage in a rack at the rear/front of the car or at your seat? Thinking this would be cheaper than buying a transfer!

Not sure about the direct train, but going from the Zurich Airport to Zurich Station is very easy. There are several trains per hour and the journey takes about 25 minutes only. The trains are double decker and there are no racks, you keep your luggage with you, but there is some space near the doors that everyone uses and watches. Only a few stops between the airport and the city, so quite safe. The train station is connected to the airport, quite convenient. And the manned information / ticket office is very helpful in the train station.

Thank you for supplying the info. I believe that a train ride will be far more cheaper, faster and more comfortable than purchasing a transfer from the river cruise company and having to ride a bus!

There is a direct train every hour (at 47 mins past the hour) from the airport to Lucerne. It takes an hour and the fare is CHF 27. And being Swiss, it runs on time.

Can you tell me how long it takes to clear customs/immigration at Zurich airport?

Can you tell me how long it takes to clear customs/immigration at Zurich airport?

Immigration is very quick (compared to Heathrow). If you wait 30 minutes it would be a long time.

Customs is usually walk straight through, if you get stopped it only takes a few minutes.