Carnival Questions

ksquared87

Howdy!

I have cruised numerous times in the past but I was never the one actually booking them and I had a few questions.

Are passports required?

What are the best shore excursions in Nassau?

If we don't book an excursion, are we allowed to just explore the island on our own?

I know these might be silly questions but its been a while since I've gone on a cruise. Any advice would be great! Thanks so much!

Howdy!

I have cruised numerous times in the past but I was never the one actually booking them and I had a few questions.

Are passports required?

If we don't book an excursion, are we allowed to just explore the island on our own?

I know these might be silly questions but its been a while since I've gone on a cruise. Any advice would be great! Thanks so much!

Passports are NOT required but preferred. You can use a birth certificate and photo id instead.

Yes, you can explore anything on your own either with Carnival, a private tour operator, or just yourself wandering around.

Not sure about Nassau since it depends on your preference of shore excursions.

You do not have to use a passport but it is recommended. As for excursions, check the port section on these forums for good advice. Of course you can do it on your own! We took a bus to a beach area that was away from the port and it was easy!

We booked excursions through the ship on our first trip only. Since then, we've gone on our own. You'll have some folks try to scare you by telling you that you'll miss the boat and all. Most of the time, we've not gone so far away that we couldn't get back some other way if there was an issue. But we've never had a problem. As a matter of fact, our privately booked excursions have been excellent and much better than what we booked through the ship.

How did you book them privately? And do you recommend any excursions in Nassau?

Thanks!

Go to the Nassau page here in Cruise Critic. There will be recommendations for excursions and vendors. You can also look at Trip Advisor or just search the internet for excursions at Nassau

Go to Cozumel. Or Jamaica. Or Aruba. Or Grand Cayman. Or St. Thomas. You get the idea. We have enjoyed the horse drawn carriages there, though. Be warned, they close at 4p so go early. About $10 pp. The pirate museum is fun once. Otherwise, just walk around - eveything is close. Or stay on the ship. Don't wast money on a ship excursion.

You can also just google cruise excursions to Nassau and get a list of websites to check out. I've had good luck this way.

There are TONS of different excursions: beaches, blue lagoon island, all inclusive resorts, Atlantis, historical tours, shopping, Segway, boat rides (yes, that's right, you get off the ship and get on a boat-Ha!), horseback rides, snorkeling, an underwater scooter excursion, glass bottom boat. Its quite touristy, you will find something cool and fun that fits your budget.

Howdy!

Are passports required?

No Passport? Not having one can slow you up on and off the ships.

We are free to do excursions whether they are paid via ship or completely on your own.

Don't know about Bahama Excursions. Try the port board for Bahamas.

Edited by eponym

Just to clarify a bit further on the passport question: they are not required for cruises that begin and end at the *same* port. If something happens and you miss getting back on the ship after an excursion, or if the ship had to be diverted to another return port in the US, you will not be allowed back into the US without one. Which is why they are highly recommended. Better safe than sorry.