Promotion **new Guests To Silversea **

uk1

I've mentioned before that SS have been offering special discounts to non-SS customers that they have not been willing to match to their "valued Venetian Society Members”.

I personally find this to be a breach of trust and against what I understood of their repricing policy. I have in fact managed to get my last cruise repriced by following this up vigorously and received a rebate of £2,200 for my wife and I.

I do not want to start a debate about the rights and wrongs of this policy, but instead merely publish the discount rates they have been offered on some previous and up coming cruises so that fellow customers can if they agree pursue SS vigorously to obtain a matching discount. Another friend of mine has just cancelled future cruises because they refused to match the cruise prices as they did in my case. Only if Venetian Society Members object with their feet will SS management understand that this policy will not be tolerated. They are clearly not as sure of the "acceptability" of the policy because they insist that the rates aren't published but used in a way to ensure existing customers are not alerted.

I have also been told that SS reps are asking agents not to point out business as usual price reductions so that Ventian Members do not ask for the repricing that they are entitled to under existing arrangements. Our agent has refused and has told SS that they will continue to reprice on their own inititiative as published discounts increase. Others however may comply with the SS request and I share this information so that you can keep your eye on this ball.

This is the text of the pricing announcement to the agents involved.

"(Silversea Logo)

If you have always wanted to try Silversea Cruises, this could be your golden opportunity.

We are pleased set out below details of 16 voyages where we are able to offer "NEW TO SILVERSEA" guests an additional 20% on VISTA, VERANDA and MID-SHIP VERANDA suites.

VOY SAIL DATE DAYS FROM/TO TOTAL SAVING

1522 26/07/2005 16 CPH-SOU 45% saving

1532 31/10/2005 12 BGI-MAO 50% saving

1533 12/11/2005 15 MAO-RIO 45% saving

1535 05/12/2005 16 BUE-SCL 55% saving

2521 15/08/2005 12 IST-VCE 50% saving

2522 27/08/2005 12 VCE-VCE 55% saving

2529 05/11/2005 17 PSD-MAH 50% saving

2532 10/12/2005 11 MRU-CPT 50% saving

3525 19/08/2005 7 MCM-CIV 30% saving

3534 30/10/2005 8 PIR-PSD 60% saving

3537 06/12/2005 16 SIN-SYD 50% saving

4529 30/07/2005 7 OSL-CPH 55% saving

4532 20/08/2005 9 CPH-SOU 65% saving

4536 30/09/2005 10 NYC-NYC 50% saving

4537 10/10/2005 11 NYC-YUL 50% saving

4538 21/10/2005 12 YUL-FLL 60% saving

Terms and conditions:

New options/bookings for NEW to Silversea guests only from 15 July - 30 September 2005

Combinable with EBI/APB/SSS

Not combinable with on board savings

Not valid on segments of less than 6 nights

Offer applies to first two guests only

Subject to availability, offer may be withdrawn or modified at any time without notice

Offer may be used for closed mailings but MAY NOT BE ADVERTISED PUBLICLY

Redemption:

An email must be submitted to Reservations xxx@silverseacruises.com prior to paying deposit, with Promo Code UKSVGS002. The booking number must be included. Once the booking is verified the fare will be adjusted."

Jeff

I can confirm that I have received these "for new pax only" sale notices from companies that are based both in the U.S. and Canada. It annoyed me to say the least that the sales were not offered to past pax. Thanks UK1 for sharing that bit of info........I'm happy to hear with some persistance that you had your cruise reduced........although........I don't think it is right that you should have to fight for it either.

Pat

I very much appreciate the kind words, and sentiments. I took the decision to publish these facts with a somewhat heavy heart.

What is startiling is that the VP for sales first claimed when asked about this specifically by my friend (after I had received my discount) that this was agents offering a slice of their own discount. This is of course untrue. Then when the original SS document was forwarded to her, she changed tack and claimed it was a special offer, offered only through "3 or 4 agents" worldwide and not publicicised. This is also obviously simply untrue. When the CEO Albert Peter was challenged by a friend of mine then he said exactly the same, and tried to fob him off with an on board credit for his next cruise. Either these people either do not know about their own worldwide promotions - or they are "careless" with the facts.

The reason why I posted the information is that having reached the end of the line with my efforts directly with SS and with the - let's be generous - "uneven response" received - then I feel thatthe success of SS's unfair practices rely on both customer ignorance and laziness and all exisitng Venetian Members clearly should be entitled to need to guage what SS say about booking in advance and what value SS genuinely place on loyalty with their actual behaviour. Only by many customers indicating that they will respond with their feet will their be pressure for SS to behave in accord with their promise and with equity.

In a way Venetian member customers also pay a second hit. They have paid a high premium rate to share an experience with some (I add hastily not all) who sometimes paid a much lower rate and who on occaision reduce the experience for all. I say that with all sensible caveats assumed.

Thanks again,

Jeff

What can I say............when I got up this morning and logged onto my email......here was another special sale advertisement waiting in my inbox for new pax to try Silversea...........so yes they are still sending out this information. It just annoyed me all over again!

Copy of the advert below with the agent's name removed of course.

Time Sensitive, Exclusive Silversea Cruises Offers

50% Off 9 Silversea Cruises from $2,560.00 (USD)

Just Released - First time cruisers with Silversea take advantage of 50% savings. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

Thanks for posting the info.

As you've gathered, I have no issue at all with the principle of offering these to new pax, so long as SS don't try and do it secretly in an underhand way and blarney and distort these offers to existing customers and claim that it's us that is on the special pedestal. So thanks.

May I suggest and request that you post the by cruise discounts, and as much of the text as you can as I did so that any exisitng customers can take up their discount issues with the ceo at SS ie alberp@silverseas.com ?

In the end it's customers that own the future of any business, but only if they exercise their power.

Jeff.

UK1, as per your request.

Pat

Offer Offer valid through 11/1/2005

Dates/Pricing Don't book any luxury cruise without checking our rates!!

Date Price / Description Quote

November 05, 2005 $4,535.00* (USD) / Silver Wind : 2529 - Passage to the Seychelles

December 05, 2005 $4,960.00* (USD) / Silver Cloud : 1535 - Fire & Ice

December 06, 2005 $5,155.00* (USD) / Silver Shadow : 3537 - Passage Down Under

December 10, 2005 $3,055.00* (USD) / Silver Wind : 2532 - Across the Tropic of Capricorn

Hi, The Silversea site lists some discount fares but not the full discount that is offered to new customers. I'm one of those "new" passengers and booked the #4538 (Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale) for 60% off whereas the official site only lists it for $40% off. Also I believe they gave me a discounted solo rate. Hey, this doesn't mean that I'll find my cabin being towed in a dinghy boat why everyone else is "wineing and dining" in the big boat?

My favorite cruise line is Radisson so am looking forward to see if it will replaced by SilverSea in the number one spot. I mean gad someone has to conduct these tests!

The e-mail of alberp@silverseas.com, that of the CEO. Mr. Albert Peter, that was provided by one of our cruise chat members, from the UK I believe, is apparently an incorrect one. I have attempted to send 3 e-mails to that address and each have been 'bounced' back; indicating that it was 'not accepted by Silversea." Possibly the CEO does not receive e-mails from prospective or booked passengers and prefers that all mailings go to the 'informationdesk' at Silversea!

The e-mail of alberp@silverseas.com, that of the CEO. Mr. Albert Peter, that was provided by one of our cruise chat members, from the UK I believe, is apparently an incorrect one.

Is it possible that, in the above address, "alberp" should really be "albertp," and/or that "silverseas" should really be "silversea"?

No doubt this is an elitist idiosyncrasy of mine, but I believe people should not be permitted to cruise on lines whose correct names they do not know.

Cruise 3537, one that my wife and I are sailing on, is $6,875 on the Silversea website versus $5,155 posted by Canadagal, which is significant. I personally don't have a problem with this. I see it the same as initially offering a cruise for 20% off the brochure rate, and then offering it sometime later at 50% off the brochure rate. Some passengers initially pay more for the same suite type and cruise, and other passengers pay less. Not perfectly fair, but good business sense, yet nobody gets up in arms over this practice. Some folks will always get better deals than others. Well, welcome to the world of travel.

If this program gets more first time cruisers that become repeat customers in the future, then it makes the company more stable and able to provide this wonderful experience further into the future. Keep in mind, they only get this discount one time and from then on they play by the same rules as we do. Not publishing the first time discounts so that Venetian Club members are aware of it also makes good business sense.

Regarding keeping companies stable, I am already having to start dealing with the possibility of a Delta bankruptcy on my flights for six cruises in 2006. I would definately prefer not to have to deal with a possible Silversea bankruptcy in the future either, so I hope they continue to make what I think are good business decisions.

Cruise 3537, one that my wife and I are sailing on, is $6,875 on the Silversea website versus $5,155 posted by Canadagal, which is significant. I personally don't have a problem with this. I see it the same as initially offering a cruise for 20% off the brochure rate, and then offering it sometime later at 50% off the brochure rate. Some passengers initially pay more for the same suite type and cruise, and other passengers pay less. Not perfectly fair, but good business sense, yet nobody gets up in arms over this practice. Some folks will always get better deals than others. Well, welcome to the world of travel.

Hi,

You may not be aware of some of the SS policies including the current repricing policy which SS still wishes to benefit from from a marketing and early booking aspect, but are secretly trying to drop. This is significant for existing customers to understand before they make futrue bookings. The other issues are a related by varying opinion to that promise.

I would agree with everything you say generally if SS didn't encourage existing customers to book early by promising to reprice and promise through it's agents to ensure that customers always receive the best price but are now asking (not mandating) agents not to recalculate AND if SS didn't make such an extraordinary effort to market and promise that their existing customers are the most important AND - and this is vital - if SS didn't go to such lengths to deny the existance of the discounts. Being untruthful to existing customers is unacceptable.

I argued for and got the extra discount. I provided the information - as did others - to help those who would like to try and get the extra discount as I personally feel that I am at least as equally valuable to SS as a new customer. You do not agree and have decided that you are content not to ask for the extra dsicount and are clearly happy not to have got the extra cash back. I have no problem with that if you don't.

In my view it is perfectly acceptable to offer new customer discounts that are better than those offered to existing customers as long as it is done openly and with integrity. Otherwise, it is not.

Jeff

Is it possible that, in the above address, "alberp" should really be "albertp," and/or that "silverseas" should really be "silversea"?

No doubt this is an elitist idiosyncrasy of mine, but I believe people should not be permitted to cruise on lines whose correct names they do not know.

No elitist, but rather one of those "little microscopic-minded parrots."

Hi Everyone,

The correct email address is albertp@silverseacruises.com but doubt you get a response. A better way is to write directly to his office. You may as well want to let him know about this message board full of useful recommandations but also of serious concerns.

Cruisebaron :)

In fact both e-mails work, and all people that I know who have made conact receive a delegated response from a range of people including VP of sales and director of customer service. I haven't yet seen a response from the man himself. Pointing out this forum will in my view be counter productive to the likelihood of resolving individual issues - and presupposes that they do not already look.

Identical complaints are treated with differing degrees of success and with no consistancies.

The infomration is merely to inform and give more options to people. The fact that I got a rebate and my friend didn't with identical complaints I find illuminating.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Over at the HAL forum, a number of posters have noticed that first time HAL cruisers are being upgraded over past passengers. A number of them will not tell HAL they are past passengers until they are in their cabin.

All companies play marketting games. :(

....................... live by the sword, die by the sword. We, the power of the customer, must make them feel pain. Sharing information, bayonetting the wounded, benefits us all. Sod the new customers, it's the guys who cover the regular overheads that should be treated with at least the same - but no less - respect. Abandon ship I say and leave them to their marketing campaign of cheating existing customers.

Apres les deluges ..........

Jeff

Thanks, I think you missed my other point. It is just as bad for the line as it is for the customers.

What are the worse things you have in mind that are worse than being charged more for being loyal than for being new?

Jeff

Archived