Tipping question for European cruise

jcallcut

I will be traveling on the Epic in May in Europe. I usually leave an extra dollar or two when I buy drinks or other places on the ship when a human staff member is involved. For the Europe cruise is it going to be more helpful to tip in euros or would they be better served giving them USD?

Thanks,

Jim

I will be traveling on the Epic in May in Europe. I usually leave an extra dollar or two when I buy drinks or other places on the ship when a human staff member is involved. For the Europe cruise is it going to be more helpful to tip in euros or would they be better served giving them USD?

Thanks,

Jim

That is entirely up to you - they will appreciate both!

Thanks,

Jim

If tipping cash then they prefer Euros.

Reason is, if dollars they need to exchange them at the crew reception at poor rates and fees same as passengers. If Euros they give them to any crew who get a few hours ashore to bring back items or buy mobile top-up cards for mobiles so they can call home when in port etc..

So I tip Euros in Europe, Dollars in Caribbean.

Reason is, if dollars they need to exchange them at the crew reception at poor rates and fees same as passengers.

How do you know that they get the same rates and fees as passengers? They don't pay the same prices for drinks as we do at the crew bar, they don't pay the same price per minute for Internet access, etc.

More to the point, they have an onboard account in dollars just like passengers do, don't they? So if you give them a cash tip in dollars, they can deposit it directly. If you give them euros, they can spend them on shore. They won't turn their nose up at either.

How do you know that they get the same rates and fees as passengers? They don't pay the same prices for drinks as we do at the crew bar, they don't pay the same price per minute for Internet access, etc.

More to the point, they have an onboard account in dollars just like passengers do, don't they? So if you give them a cash tip in dollars, they can deposit it directly. If you give them euros, they can spend them on shore. They won't turn their nose up at either.

I asked my room steward. As you say they get paid in dollars so when 6 months in Europe and they want maybe personal items etc rather than onboard store they give their wish list to whoever gets off. When you see waiters/stewards come back they often have large carrier bags full.. :D

If they "bank" them onboard also means NCL have a way of seeing what extra tips they've been given..