Valencia

LuckyJ

The HOHO bus stops just across from the cruise port (10 minute walk) at Stop 7. Here are the two routes:

Historical Valencia (Red Line):

1. Plaza Reina

2. IVAM

3. San Pio V

4. Nuevo Centro

5. Palacio de Congresos

6. Dama Iberica

7. Bioparc

8. Museo Historia Valencia

Maritime Valencia (Blue Line):

1. Plaza Reina

2. Museo Fallero

3. Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias

4. Oceonografic

5. Centro Comercial Aqua

6. Las Arenas

7. Puerto

8. Baleares

9. San Pio V

Each route is 1.5 hours long and buses depart every 20 to 30 minutes from each stop. May people like to go to the Oceonografic - it's like a cross between an Aquarium and SeaWorld. Others just want to see the city. Tickets for the HOHO buses can be purchased online.

A few years ago we had the same situation, which is a shame as Valencia is a very nice city with lots to offer.

Our cruise line had a shuttle to the old town and we took that. We spent time walking around the old town, visited the Cathedral, sat at a cafe for some coffee, and the highlight was the visit to the Central market. Its a gorgeous building with stalls for all kind of produce, meats, fish, etc, etc. We bought some delish jamón ibérico and brought it to the ship. Check it out here:

https://www.mercadocentralvalencia.es/El-Mercado.aspx

Well just checked the Market Place and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to see.

I did not even think what day it would be, that is way maybe there are not any ship tours as October 4th is a Sunday, so I guess nothing will be open????

Know I am even madder.

Thank you

Janet

Well just checked the Market Place and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to see.

I did not even think what day it would be, that is way maybe there are not any ship tours as October 4th is a Sunday, so I guess nothing will be open????

Know I am even madder.

Thank you

Janet

I just got back from spending a week in Valencia. I would go to the Old City first. It is fun to walk around. Since it is a tourist area, many of the local restaurants will be open. As far as the church and climbing the tower, you would have to check their schedule online. Valencia is home to wonderful paella and many restaurants serve it for lunch. Also Horchata (made from tiger nuts-not the same as the Mexican version which is made from rice) is a local drink and worth trying. Visiting the train station (very pretty), walking by the bull ring, there are plenty of sights to walk around and see. We too enjoyed the aquarium, but I would opt for the city center.

Hi Bunzini,

Thank you so much that was a lot of information for us, glad to know we can have lunch there as we might need to be back at the ship by 1:15 so try and leave the ship by 8:00 hope that is not to early? Not sure if Princess has a shuttle or not? So we will walk the Old Town hope to see the Church?

Janet

If you need to be back by 1:15 I dont think lunch will work. In Spain lunch typically starts around 1:00 (and that's early).

It really irritates me when cruise lines do this, it renders the port visit almost useless.

I believe in the Plaza de la Reina area you will still find lunch. Plus all of the coffee shops have pastries as well as small sandwiches often made with Jamon-a type of ham which is very typical for Spain. I could text my niece who is living there now about lunch. I would not worry too much, there will be places to eat. I am not sure about the church, maybe you could look that up online. I wonder if they would let you climb the tower even if there is mass. It is a steep climb, but worth it for the views on top. We also took a walking tour of the old city with a guide from toursbylocals. That would give you a nice walking tour of the city center.

Thanks Bunzini,

The Cathedral is open on Sundays and it free! Also open is the Silk Exchange. I found a 4 hour private tour which will give us a over view and with little time I think this is the best. I was told there is a funky flee market only on Sundays and its called Rastro?

Janet