Commonly recommended surge protector on sale today only (April 6, 2015)

JohnMI

For those interested, this Belkin 3-outlet plus 2-USB surge protector is often recommended here (especially over in the Carnival section) for cruising -- and it is Amazon's Deal of the Day. It provides 2.1amps for the USB ports (instead of the standard 1amp) so that you can charge things like iPhones, iPad, Galaxy phones, and so on that require the higher amperage. And the single plug swivels and locks at ANY position -- which is what makes it so nice for so many cruise ships! You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ATZJ5YS/gtzso-20

Normally it is $21.99 on Amazon -- today it is only $14.99 -- and that makes it even cheaper than the 1amp version!

I had just bought one for our last cruise about a month ago after it was recommended here and really liked it. So I thought I'd pass around the info on the sale.

It ends just over 13 hours from the time of this posting. Just FYI.

- John...

It might be recommended by cruisers but surge protectors are frowned upon by ships because of potential electrical problems with ship's electrical system because, according to one ship's engineer, surge protectors can interfere with the ship's electrical monitoring system.

Edited by NMLady

It might be recommended by cruisers but surge protectors are frowned upon by ships because of potential electrical problems with ship's electrical system because, according to one ship's engineer, surge protectors can interfere with the ship's electrical monitoring system.

In my opinion, this is mostly folklore. There simply isn't anything that should be an issue with a small, self-contained surge-protecting device like this that would "interfere" with any of the ship's electrical.

Plus, if it ever DID have to actually work and protect from a surge, it would mean that something VERY WRONG happened with the ship's electrical in the first place!

In other words, they would already have to have a serious problem before an in-room surge protector had any affect on their equipment.

Many, many people have used and are using this very model on hundreds of cruises (per year, probably). There simply isn't an issue.

- John...

I checked with both Celebrity and Princess and was told that they have no prohibition of any kind and that they suggest surge protector cords over regular cords.

It's always best to check directly with your cruise line if you have any questions at all about their rules and regulations.