Galaxy Western Meditteranean - Just Got Back!

Cruisin'Carrie

They've been at it for a year......

As Lois R just stated...

This is the time/date of the OP post : September 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM

How did it pop up? Trying to throw us off huh?

When does the crew usually rotate? Shouldn't they get a break every now and again? It would benefit the cruisers. Poor guys:(

WooKeef:

Don't worry, the crew was great. I never experienced a problem. I also have a smoke allergy and only had a problem one evening. Our table in dining room was near the entrance on the lower level. The smoking section of the martini bar was right outside the door. On the 2nd to last night of the cruise, we smelled smoke from the martini bar. Other than that. I had no issues.

Enjoy your vacation!

Mindi

Thanks for the info on the transportation to the ship fro mthe main train station in Rome. I am debating whether to pay for a shuttle or d othe train. I've read other reviews that madeit seem pretty complicated and difficult. I am typically an independent by-land traveler so I'm used to public transportation but the infrastructure for getting to ports is a bit different than going around town to the tourist hot spots.

WooKeef:

Don't worry, the crew was great. I never experienced a problem. I also have a smoke allergy and only had a problem one evening. Our table in dining room was near the entrance on the lower level. The smoking section of the martini bar was right outside the door. On the 2nd to last night of the cruise, we smelled smoke from the martini bar. Other than that. I had no issues.

Enjoy your vacation!

Mindi

Thank you that is reassuring. I can't wait to leave!:D

I was on the Galaxy 25 august 2006 and my opinion about the crew is that I found these people very friendy, helpful, good service and maybe most important is that there was an absolutely positive ambiance on this ship, thanks to the wonderful crew.

It is very easy to take the train to Civitavecchia and cost 7,25 per person.

Trainride: app.1 hour

Trainstations: Fiumicino Airport --> Trastevere --> Civitavecchia.

When you arrive in Trastevere, take the elevator down to level 0, keep walking under the tracks (just a couple of meters) and take the elevator to level 1 where normally the train to Civitavecchia is waiting.

When you arrive in Civitavecchia, you have 2 oppertunities:

1. try to catch a taxi to the port

2. walk 600 meter along the nice promenade to the entrance of the port where you can take the free Galaxy shuttlebus to the ship. It's a flat and good paved promenade.

We did this 2 weeks ago and took the train at the end of our cruise back to Rome Termini (extended vacation).

We also are travelling concierge class. The priority embarkation/disembarkation sounded great to us - how does that work? Do you get a special color disembarkation card at the ports or how do they know you are entitled to priority disembarkation? Not waiting in lines sounds fantastic! Thank you for all of the information about your cruise - it was very helpful. Glad you had a great time.

I loved seeing that picture in the foyer, yet no-one else onboard seemed to be looking at it. It's a reproduction of Fragonard's 'The Swing', dating from the 1760's, painted for the luxurious and decadent French 'ancien regime'. It has definite erotic & scandalous overtones - not only does the young man on the bottom left have a good view up the lady's skirts, but she has been pushed into that revealing position by the figure behind her, who is variously described as a priest and possibly a lover.

An unexpected image on a ship belonging to oh-so-respectable Celebrity.

Shiek: Thanks for the photos from "our" 8/25 trip. They're beautiful - and definitely brought back fond memories of Santorini (one of my favorite places!!) Sorry we never got a chance to meet. It was a wonderful experience. The crew were kind, helpful and HAPPY! The ship is in good shape. As far as I'm concerned, there was NOTHING wrong with the ship or the cruise.

WooKeef: As far as the smoking (I'm sensitive as well) - we realized that smoking is allowed in certain areas on one side of the ship only. When you're on the pool deck, just be aware of the "Smoking" and "No Smoking" sides, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Have a great trip!

June

Archived