Bermuda pregnant and with a 2 year old

lmkoz

Hi there - I'm looking for some opinions from those that have travelled to Bermuda pregnant/with a toddler. We are going on NCL Crown on the 18th of September. We will be travelling with our 2 year old and I am 3 months pregnant. I have been put on light duties by my OB/GYN and even though he has given me the go-ahead for the vacation, he did tell me to take it easy. In other words, not too much walking. Our ports are Hamilton and St. George. My questions are as follows:

How big is the aquarium/museum/zoo - are there resting places? How do we get there from our ports? Are the taxis safe or are they reckless drivers overall?

What would be the best family-friendly beach close to each of our ports - we don't want to go anywhere so busy that we won't be able to get loungers/umbrellas. Somewhere with decent snorkelling would be preferrable. Shower facilities would be nice but not necessary. Toilets however are a must ;)

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to stroll around St. George and Hamilton or are the cities too big for my situation?

Any other suggestions of what to do apart from what I've asked about would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to spend the whole vacation pool side on the boat!!

Bermuda is a relatively small island. The cab drivers in my experience are highly professional and rarely get above 40(the speed limit on the island is 25). Most of them own their own cabs. Cars are expensive and so is gasoline so they will not be rough on the car or you. In St George you can take a cab to the beach. Its not far only about a mile. Do a seach for Fort St Catherines beach in St George and Horseshoe bay either from Hamilton or the Dockyards. There is also snorkle park in the dockyards. St George is very small three blocks square. Hamiltion is a little larger but most stuff is right in front of the ship. Fort St Catherines and Horseshoe Bay have toiltet facilities. The shower at Horseshoe is ok. Take one of the boat trips around the island. Have fun its an easy island for families and its very built up.

How big is the aquarium/museum/zoo - are there resting places? How do we get there from our ports? Are the taxis safe or are they reckless drivers overall?

The BAMZ (Bermuda aquarium museum & zoo) will take around 2 hours depending on your pace, it is not a large place like major US zoos. There are plenty of resting places, the zoo is designed for taking it slow and relaxing. There is also a large sandbox area for kids (if your child really likes it maybe you'll be at the zoo for 3 hours ;) ). BAMZ is a lovely place and I'd recommend it to anyone.

BAMZ is located about halfway between Hamilton and St. Georges, cab fare would be around $12-15, maybe a bit more from St. Georges. Admission is $10 for adults and I think your 2 year-old is free (if I'm wrong then their admission is $5).

What would be the best family-friendly beach close to each of our ports - we don't want to go anywhere so busy that we won't be able to get loungers/umbrellas. Somewhere with decent snorkelling would be preferrable. Shower facilities would be nice but not necessary. Toilets however are a must ;)

smeyer418 pretty much answered this. While it may be crowded Horseshoe Bay has the best facilities as well, and a cab can take you right down to the beach (the bus has to leave you at the top of a big hill and you have to walk down). Downside is that there is a risk that umbrellas won't be available.

Is it reasonable to expect to be able to stroll around St. George and Hamilton or are the cities too big for my situation?

You'll be fine. Hamilton is the only city and it's around 12-15 square blocks. St Georges is a town and is smaller than that.

Any other suggestions of what to do apart from what I've asked about would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to spend the whole vacation pool side on the boat!!

Just east of Hamilton is the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (BUEI) which would also be a nice place to take a child. When in Hamilton you should also take the ferry over to Dockyard and wander around there. There is also a beach there, Snorkel Park, but unlike other beaches there are some sharp rocks/shells in the sand so you would need to have some sort of footwear. Snorkel Park also has rentals etc.

Thanks for all the useful information. I've been researching the beaches and I'm a bit concerned about taking our daughter to Horseshoe with the undertow. I'm leaning towards Tobacco Bay and Shelley Bay. Could someone tell me if these beaches have loungers/umbrellas and bathroom facilities? Food services aren't as crucial as we only plan to go for an hour or two.

Next question - is there anywhere we can go for afternoon tea that is not too formal and would welcome a (usually) well behaved toddler?

Finally - is there any way of seeing Dolphins without doing Dolphin Quest? My daugter is obsessed with Dolphins since she saw me looking at the website for Dolphin Quest.

Thanks again!

Until recently i didn't think there were any wild dolphins in the Bermuda area, it turns out that there is a small population in the deeper waters around bermuda but you would have to pretty darn lucky to see any. I don't belive there are any tours that go looking for wild dolphins here.

I've been to Horseshoe Bay a number of times and don't recall a significant undertow. With a toddler, you won't be in more than a few inches of water, so it should not be a problem. Anyway, she may be happiest just digging in the sand.

As the previous poster wrote, the zoo and aquarium are quite small and probably ideal for a little person. Enjoy!

Archived