First Time Cruiser

KSGal

My husband and I plan to take a cruise, preferably out of Galveston. But with all that's going on right now and my lack of knowledge...I have no idea where to begin. We're planning for June. How soon should we book, should we use a TA, and anything else I need to know? Thanks!!!!

First, welcome to cruising, you've come to the best place to find out what you need to know.

On the Critic Site I think there are four different boards you'll want to visit. This is the first one. Carnival is a great cruise line and this is a very frequently visited to and contributed to board which means the very best, most current information for you.

Other sites to visit include the First Time Cruiser board which will offer generic information good for what you need to know about cruising in general.

When you get it narrowed down as to where you want to go, the Port Of Call boards can be a valuable resource for planning what to do when your cruise ship stops during the voyage and lets you off for a while.

Finally, when you pick your cruise, the Cruise Critic Roll Call board can hook you up with other members from here that will be on the same sailing as you are.

As far as how to book, there are two ways. You can call Carnival directly, which is what a lot of people do and what we did for our first cruise or you can work with a travel agent.

Finding a travel agent (TA) is much like finding a good insurance salesman. Travel Agents are sales persons, make no mistake about it. If you can find one that will be an advocate for your travel needs that's great.

One of the most important features of a good cruise travel agent is efficiency. You need the behind the scenes part of your booking to be handled correctly and on time. Attention to detail in this area is a must.

But you need to be your own advocate too.

You're doing that right now by coming here to learn about this stuff and gain valuable information that could make or break your cruise later.

To find a travel agent, much like finding an insurance salesman, you can look to professional organizations like the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA, www.cruising.org ) who helps train and certify cruise travel agents, awarding various levels of competency. Look for one that's at least a Master Cruise Counselor(MCC) (There's also an "Elite" designation). They've gone through training, attended seminars and toured various cruise ships to get a goodunderstanding of what they need to know.

Another professional organization that is a good indicator that an agency is at least doing some business is The American Socisty of Travel Agents (ASTA, www.astanet.com), the members here have rigorous criteria to meet in order to join and maintain membership.

If you do an Internet search for travel agents remember that in many cases the listings you see first are sponsored meaning those people pay the search engine to be listed at the top of the list.

Word of mouth, of course, is one of the best sources of finding a good travel agent. Because recommending specific travel agents on an Internet based forum such as this is NOT the same as a recommendation from, say, your neighbor.

We don't allow it on Cruise Critic and you should be happy that we don't. The people you come to "know" here could be travel agents, sales people, trying to make a sale without the best interest in mind that your neighbor might have.

My point here is to find neutral, unbiased sources, ones with documentation to support their recommendations if possible like your state attorney general or consumer affairs office.

Personally, I think its important to develop a good business relationship with your travel professional, be that an agent you find from one of the professional organizations, a neighbors recommendation or, yes, even an attractive yellow pages ad.

Armed with the right information about agents and the knowledge to ask the right questions you'll fare much better than blindly accepting somebody's suggestion.

Before you contact that agent get an idea of what you want. Search online or send off for some cruise brochures. Read reviews and other first timer information here on cruise critic. Ask questions (there are NO dumb ones) and get answers from the members here.

THEN make that call

My husband and I plan to take a cruise, preferably out of Galveston. But with all that's going on right now and my lack of knowledge...I have no idea where to begin. We're planning for June. How soon should we book, should we use a TA, and anything else I need to know? Thanks!!!!

Book when you are comfortable with the cost. Use a TA if you have a good one. If not, book with a pvp and tranfer later, if you like. IMHO, DH and I can afford a much more expensive line but have not found the value or fun that Carnival offers. If you want to leave from Galveston I assume you are looking at a Western itinerary, I prefer the Eastern or Southern. I got sick as he[[ in Mexico and have no desire to repeat the experience so I am very biased. Please take my OP with that in mind.

Thanks everyone!!! I look forward to learning all I can and having a fabulous vacation ( I really need one!).

It looks like Carnival, but right now I'm not sure what they'll have available. The Conquest is listed for June out of Galveston, but not sure if that is really what will happen. How soon should we book (I want a good deal, but we need to go in June to fit our schedules.)?

Thanks again!!!

We live south of Wichita, near the OK state line. Pretty slow, not much to do...but having lived in the state of Texas I am familiar with life outside of the country. Thanks again for all your info!!!!

Just a couple of comments. We have sailed the Conquest and from our view point she is a super ship! We truly enjoyed our cruise. We sailed her when she was based out of Gulf Port. Have also sailed out of Galveston twice. Have been on Conquest class ships as well as Celebration (twice) Jubilee and Fantasy. Have enjoyed every one of our cruises. A cruise is what you make of it. If you go with the expectation that you are going to have a good time and you don't get warped around an axle when things are not absolutely perfect - you will have a good time. Not to say you should ever accept less than good service - just don't let a single incident ruin your trip. Things happen sometimes. Next: you will see glowing reports on ships and cruises on these pages and you will see slam dunk reports. Sometimes for the same ship and the same cruise. Take the information - file it, and use it when necessary. We used a TA once for our very first cruise. All was well. We have used Carnival PVPs since and all has been well. We like dealing direct and feel we get better service from our PVPs simply because if I am not happy I can change PVPs or get to a supervisor. Not all PVPs are created equal just as all TAs are not created equal.

There are a lot of good folks on this board who truly enjoy sharing their experience and have no propblem explaining things when you ask. There are some on here who will attempt to direct you to the search feature if you ask a question that has been ask a million times. They do that, mostly, because if you use the search engine - most of the time you will find the answers you are looking for. I would suggest you try that but if you just enjoy the exchange and don't feel the info you get from the search feature is current - ask away! You will find folks here who have been on 1 cruise to folks who have been on a gazillion. We've only been on 5. Would have been 6 if I could have talked DW into it two weks ago :( She was whinning about money or something...:) So we didn't go on the cruise - but hey we are going to do her trip to Vegas next month - now where's the fairness in that - oh sorry - my problem ha ha.

Seriously congrats on making the decision to try cruising. I think you will have a ball. Make sure you give us a report when you get back :)

Archived