Big Guy does the Blue Hole (Video)

NightOne

I hope you do not mind a few questions... I did check out their website, but not 100% clear on a few things. Appears you are an avid Carnival traveler. Which port in Jamaica did you dock? How long was the overall tour?

Second video of Blue Hole I have seen and makes it more intriguing than Dunns River to me.

TIA!

Actually I have my next 2 cruises booked on Carnival but have never sailed with them before. I have previously sailed Princess and this trip was on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas which ported in Falmouth.

Blue Hole and Dunns are closest to Ocho Rios. From Falmouth it is about an hour ride to the Ocho Rios attractions.

My tour was private and lasted the entire day.

I went to Dunn River Falls before the Blue Hole. It was fun too but a completely different experience.

What I love about your video is that it shows all the bumps, twists and paths of the Blue Hole. Other videos are edited to eliminate the "boring" stuff which I find important to know. I have two DDs (13 and 15) and my mom (77) and having a better idea what the terrain looks like gives me a sense of comfort. Thanks for posting your "minimally edited" video, I loved it!

Yes, I watched several Blue Hole videos before I went and I noticed a lot never showed the paths, walking, etc. so when I did mine I tried to get everything to give insight into everything you go through. I am fairly happy with how it turned out. It was my first day using my new GoPro. Also, credit to my guide Omar because he shot a lot of the video. :)

Glad you found it helpful.

Watched your video and It looks so fun, can't wait. About how long would you say you were at the Blue Hole. I agree with you don't think I will be doing that rope swing either.

I would say that once I got there that I was there 45 minutes to 1 hour. You can stay as long as you want and repeat stuff but I did a bunch of different things that day and thus only had so much time I could spend there.

You can easily do Dunns, Blue Hole, and Jerk lunch in a day.

Thanks for posting your video, really enjoyed it and it gave me a much more complete picture of Blue Hole than any other video I have seen.

We will be there in 3 weeks, myself and 2 grandkids age 11 and 15 - I have been stressing about whether or not I made the right choice in booking this tour, but since watching your video I know we will all enjoy it!:)

Thanks again!

You are welcome. Glad it helped. Enjoy your time at the Blue Hole. :)

Since you are sailing Oasis, I assume you are docking in Falmouth? Will you share some specifics of your tour details? Pick up/drop off times in relation to your time in port is mainly what I am looking for.

TIA!

Yes, we are docking in Falmouth at 10:30, reservation says to get off ship as early as possible, no specific time listed (but these tour operators know when the ships dock), and directions for how to find the tour within the gated section of the port. Time for tour is listed as 4-6 hours, so we should be back to the ship by 5pm at the latest and we sail at 7pm.

Yes, we are docking in Falmouth at 10:30, reservation says to get off ship as early as possible, no specific time listed (but these tour operators know when the ships dock), and directions for how to find the tour within the gated section of the port. Time for tour is listed as 4-6 hours, so we should be back to the ship by 5pm at the latest and we sail at 7pm.

Thank you!!! I am most concerned w/ missing the ship when booking non ship excursions! (Saw a video of people in Jamaica missing the ship... climbing up rope ladder... not for me!)

Thank you!!! I am most concerned w/ missing the ship when booking non ship excursions! (Saw a video of people in Jamaica missing the ship... climbing up rope ladder... not for me!)

Just remember that the tour operators make their living by ensuring that customers are safe and delivered back to their ship on time - as long as you do your research and choose someone reputable (and there is tons of info both on these boards as well as on trip advisor), the chances of being delivered late are slim. I'm sure that it happens once in a while due to unforeseen circumstances, but we have frequently used local companies for tours and have never had a bad experience yet (knock on wood!!!).

Just remember that the tour operators make their living by ensuring that customers are safe and delivered back to their ship on time - as long as you do your research and choose someone reputable (and there is tons of info both on these boards as well as on trip advisor), the chances of being delivered late are slim. I'm sure that it happens once in a while due to unforeseen circumstances, but we have frequently used local companies for tours and have never had a bad experience yet (knock on wood!!!).

I know exactly what you are saying!!

A 2 hour cushion is good to calm my nerves. One that leaves maybe 30 mins not so much!!!

I just don't want to be a pier runner. Don't think my big butt can handle it!!! Thanks again!

I know exactly what you are saying!!

A 2 hour cushion is good to calm my nerves. One that leaves maybe 30 mins not so much!!!

I just don't want to be a pier runner. Don't think my big butt can handle it!!! Thanks again!

One point to remember:

You need to be in the line to get back on the ship before the time they tell you it is departing.

For example, I was back at port and standing in the line to get on the ship at 4:30pm. We were supposed to leave at 5:00pm. By the time I got through the line, on the elevators, and to my room it was 5:00pm. The ship actually started leaving around 5:45pm.

The tour operators are very mindful of the the time and have the same goal as you when it comes to getting you back to the ship with time to spare. :)

One point to remember:

You need to be in the line to get back on the ship before the time they tell you it is departing.

For example, I was back at port and standing in the line to get on the ship at 4:30pm. We were supposed to leave at 5:00pm. By the time I got through the line, on the elevators, and to my room it was 5:00pm. The ship actually started leaving around 5:45pm.

The tour operators are very mindful of the the time and have the same goal as you when it comes to getting you back to the ship with time to spare. :)

Thanks for the reminder. Still like a nice cushion. Was all aboard 4:30 and departure at 5 for your cruise??

Thanks for the reminder. Still like a nice cushion. Was all aboard 4:30 and departure at 5 for your cruise??

Had to look it up ... :)

I stand corrected on scheduled departure time. It was 5:30pm.

All aboard was 5:00pm.

I got in line at 4:30pm and the line was very long. I had originally planned to get back at 4pm but was having too much fun. :) If all aboard was 4:30 I definitely would have shot for getting back to the ship at 3:30. I think an hour before is a good time to be back for a stress free day.

We went up to Rita's Cantina and had some beers and app-e-teasers while we watched for pier runners. There was actually one single guy that was very late which is what made us wait. People were hooting and hollering at him. He looked perfectly sober btw.

Also, I may or may not have yelled down him "Don't worry, you are only holding up the entire ship".

Just take a watch, make sure it and ship time are the same, and keep track of it. If you are going on an organized tour they will track it for you.

I know the cruise lines try to scare everyone into buying their tours so you won't get left behind but the truth is that they are just hiring tour providers at the port who tour side by side with non-ship tours.

I have no problem buying a ship tour (it is not a money issue for me) as long as it takes me to places I want to go. Sadly, most do not.

Had to look it up ... :)

I stand corrected on scheduled departure time. It was 5:30pm.

All aboard was 5:00pm.

I got in line at 4:30pm and the line was very long. I had originally planned to get back at 4pm but was having too much fun. :) If all aboard was 4:30 I definitely would have shot for getting back to the ship at 3:30. I think an hour before is a good time to be back for a stress free day.

We went up to Rita's Cantina and had some beers and app-e-teasers while we watched for pier runners. There was actually one single guy that was very late which is what made us wait. People were hooting and hollering at him. He looked perfectly sober btw.

Also, I may or may not have yelled down him "Don't worry, you are only holding up the entire ship".

Just take a watch, make sure it and ship time are the same, and keep track of it. If you are going on an organized tour they will track it for you.

I know the cruise lines try to scare everyone into buying their tours so you won't get left behind but the truth is that they are just hiring tour providers at the port who tour side by side with non-ship tours.

I have no problem buying a ship tour (it is not a money issue for me) as long as it takes me to places I want to go. Sadly, most do not.

Thanks so much for your help, Carl!

What do they always say X,XXX passengers were able to make it on time, but you weren't! :)

You were very helpful!!! Just one last question... The Blue Hole tour you took states it requires 4 people min. Did you just pay the cost for 4 to have your own private tour?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer:

My wife and I were supposed to go on the tour together. We knew we could go cheaper if we piggy backed on made tours or invited people on our tour. However, that meant that we would have to give up some control over exactly what we did and when we did it. So we decided it would be just the two of us. However, the wife was feeling very bad the day we got to Jamaica and ended up staying on the ship so it was just me an Javia. Obviously having 4 or more is better on a per person basis but I thought it was great value to have Javia to myself for the entire day for the $200 I paid. Booking a pre-made Blue Hole/Scotchies Tour from Falmouth with a group usually runs $75-$80 per person (that includes lunch and $10 Blue Hole admission though) so I still think $200 for private tour is a great deal especially if your are 2 or more. We stopped at Columbus Park, some local places on the way to Ocho Rios and in Ocho Rios, Dunn River Falls, Blue Hole, Scotchies, banana stand, and beer store so several more places than the standard tours.

There is so much to do in Jamaica that I had to scratch things like Mystic Mountain, River Tubing, and others from the list because of time constraints. Our next time in Jamaica we come into Montego Bay so I am researching things on the Western side like YS Falls, Negril, etc.

I always cringe a little when I hear people advice people to stay on the ship in Jamaica. :)

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, I was just reading how a review on tripadvisor. com about tipping the tour guides at the Blue Hole and from the tour company.

If I remember correctly I think they said they tipped $10 a piece and that the tour guide did not seem happy with that. I was thinking of doing something similar for husband, myself and our 7 year old. I don't want to offend them. I was also going to do something similar for the tour guide, but same review says guide was not impressed also.

Is there a certain % you are supposed to tip like a server and the usual 18/20%.

Edited by bradynsmom

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, I was just reading how a review on tripadvisor. com about tipping the tour guides at the Blue Hole and from the tour company.

If I remember correctly I think they said they tipped $10 a piece and that the tour guide did not seem happy with that. I was thinking of doing something similar for husband, myself and our 7 year old. I don't want to offend them. I was also going to do something similar for the tour guide, but same review says guide was not impressed also.

Is there a certain % you are supposed to tip like a server and the usual 18/20%.

I have nothing to hide. LOL

In Jamaica, I tipped as follows:

Guy at Columbus Park (forgot name): $5.00

Dunn River Falls guide (??? #28 on his shirt that day): $5.00

Blue Hole Guide guide (Omar): $20.00

My Tour Guide (Javia): $40.00

The guy at Columbus Park told me at the beginning that I did not have to give him anything but he taught me several things. There were a few other tourists there and they kind of blew him off after a minute but he showed and told me everything and thus I gave him $5 at the end.

I only tipped $5 at Dunns because group size is about 16 and you do not get a whole lot of one on one attention from the guide and there are more people tipping.

I tipped Omar double what I probably would have normally just because he was awesome and was taking only me around. He shot video, helped point out where to step (and not step), and generally was just a very cool guy and gave me all of his attention in a genuine way. About 1/2 way through he hinted about a tip without being overly direct and that was when I told him "don't worry, you are going to get a fat tip when we are done" and he never hinted or mentioned anything again in that regard.

I tipped Javia because he was also awesome and took care of me the the whole day. Also, anytime we stopped a store for drinks or something, he paid for it so I probably got $10 out of him that way. :)

I didn't have any problem with any people in Jamaica. I spoke with them in a friendly manner and treated them with respect and dignity. They were all cool with me even if some of the vendors at the end of DRF got frustrated when I told them I had already spent all my money with one of the other vendors there. :)

In my opinion, I don't think a $10 tip to the Blue Hole guide would be an insult at all. However, obviously I cannot speak for the experiences of others.

Edited by NightOne

Just for curiosity's sake, can you direct me to the reviews you are referring? I tried, unsuccessfully, to search on my own.

Just for curiosity's sake, can you direct me to the reviews you are referring? I tried, unsuccessfully, to search on my own.

It is under a Marvyn's Paradise Tours review labeled " Good Day" under the very good reviews. After reading it closer I think they may have only tipped $10 where as I was thinking $ 30 or $10 a piece.