Gem suites SF or SE which to choose?

NJsharon

Currently have SE booked on deck 10, aft balcony.

For $50 per person I could upsell to SF on deck 9 or 10, forward balcony.

Would you do that switch?

Tried to find a video of any deck 9 or 10 balconies on youtube, only found 2 on the Jewel (assuming they are the same set up as Gem)? Well it looks like the barriers between balconies slope down, so you can look over at your neighbors? Also looks like the bridge looks right down onto you. Not sure I like either of those things.

But it is meant to have a bit more space footage according to plans I think?

Extra space is always good I guess right?

So yes or no, would you pay $100 more to upsell to SF forward or keep SE aft?

Read one review that the forward facing cabins might get the wind more, so the door sometimes whistle at night? Not sounding appealing right now, unless someone wants to sell me on a forward facing suite with large balcony?!

SE is front and SF is rear. We love the aft SF. The front SE has good reviews for the large balcony. It would depend on when the cruise is whether we would sail on the front. Summer yes and winter no. Strong winds although if you sit towards the back of the balcony not as much wind. You also have to keep the curtains and doors closed at night to keep the lights from bothering the bridge.

Edited by jjikids

SE is front and SF is rear. We love the aft SF. The front SE has good reviews for the large balcony. It would depend on when the cruise is whether we would sail on the front. Summer yes and winter no. Strong winds although if you sit towards the back of the balcony not as much wind. You also have to keep the curtains and doors closed at night to keep the lights from bothering the bridge.

Thanks, okay, think we may stick with SF then.

Currently have SE booked on deck 10, aft balcony.

For $50 per person I could upsell to SF on deck 9 or 10, forward balcony.

Would you do that switch?

Tried to find a video of any deck 9 or 10 balconies on youtube, only found 2 on the Jewel (assuming they are the same set up as Gem)? Well it looks like the barriers between balconies slope down, so you can look over at your neighbors? Also looks like the bridge looks right down onto you. Not sure I like either of those things.

But it is meant to have a bit more space footage according to plans I think?

Extra space is always good I guess right?

So yes or no, would you pay $100 more to upsell to SF forward or keep SE aft?

One of us is confused. I had thought that SF was AFT and SE was forward on the Gem.

Harriet

I'd go with the Aft suite. If you have a forward suite then you have to keep your curtains closed or lights off at night because of the bridge being above you. My daughter and I had an Owners Suite on the Gem which has both a forward and side balcony. I think we only used the forward balcony once and that was coming into Port Canaveral. We spent most of our time on the side balcony. My husband and I have an aft suite this year and looking forward to it.

AGREED :D

p><p>Thank you for sharing that great pic!  We will be in an SE in a few weeks going up to Alaska and Glacier Bay.  I was curious what the view of the glacier would be while the ship was parallel to it.  Looks like it will a nice view on 3 of the 4 sides of the ship and they don

We saw an amazing calving in 2009 come off of Margerie glacier! It was spectacular and hope to see something like that again. When we were there a couple years ago just a couple small pieces came off. I know it is rare to see much calving in May which is when we cruise but it has been warmer on the west coast this year so you never know.

Edited by kdzkatz

If you go with an SF aft and there is a deck 10 room available, grab it! They have the largest balconies of the SF suites. We had one on the Pearl in 2012 (I think it was that year) on deck 10 and it was wonderful! We will have a first hand opinion of all parts of a Jewel class ship in a few weeks. We have been on both sides of the ship, the back, the top (Haven, so nice) and now we will have the opportunity to be on the front of the ship. So excited.

The nice thing about your decision...no wrong answer...you will be living the suite life on a cruise. :D:D

After seeing this post I just changed my mind on cabins, we are planning another cruise to Alaska in 2016 and the week we are looking at all 4 of the SE cabins are open, should we pick 1 of the 2 center cabins (000/500) or 1 of the outside (002/502)? Again Don't want hijack the thread this just seems like a good thread to get a good answer.

Edited by spotfish

Does anyone have any pictures of the deck 10 aft balconies. We have booked 10664. The person on the 'chat line' on the NCL site said it was the biggest balcony but then I saw another thread where someone said the end aft balconies are actually smaller than the middle ones.

Spotfish..go with 10000 or 10500... The balcony is still huge but you get a bigger room .that takes a little square footage from the balcony. It's a win win and I hear those rooms have a tendency to go first. We are booked in 10000 on the Dawn in October of 2016 and can't wait.

Spotfish..go with 10000 or 10500... The balcony is still huge but you get a bigger room .that takes a little square footage from the balcony. It's a win win and I hear those rooms have a tendency to go first. We are booked in 10000 on the Dawn in October of 2016 and can't wait.

Thank you for the reply, I just booked the 10000 suite for labor day week 2016 (10500 was already booked) Our fist cruise ever will be this June with another couple and after looking into the cruise we decided we want to go back next year with our 2 adult sons. After seeing how big 10000 is and the couch/bed our 20 Y/O and his girlfriend (she's like family) said they would just stay in our room and we booked a balcony a few doors down for our older son.