Tendering In South America On Celebrity

roberts2005

I would appreciate some information from prior Celebrity cruiser on how long you waited to get ashore on the ports that required tenders. On past cruise I have found that you have to wait for the ship's shore excursions to get off first. This can mean a long wait to get off.

What I do either docking or tendering, I go to one of the shore ex. assembly areas, usually the theater. I sit down with one of the lower numbered groups, when they call that number I get off with those people, they don't collect the shore ex tickets until you get to the bus or van. Once off the ship I go my own way.

Al

If they stop you, tell them the sticker fell off, are they really gonna stop you. I never had a problem, even in St. Petersburg, Russia in June with private car shore ex. was off ship at 7:45AM, with first group of ships shore ex, when they made all kinds of notices that private tours go last. Nobody ever looks at the sticker, my wife never, ever, put the sticker on and the Russian cruise was our 60th cruise since 1976.

al

In our experience, esp. on HAL, wheelchair users are the last off the ship for tender ports, not only after the tours, but after all the other ABs who want to get off. The only exception is if you have tickets on one of their excursions (they do not count other private arrangements). Since they rarely offer wheelchair accessible tours, this means waiting to get ashore so you can just walk around or take a cab...God forbid you tried to make your own arrangements. This often results in waiting up to 3 hours to get off. We have not had this problem with Princess or RCL.

Was on HAL in 1997 to Alaska, pulled the same stunt, walked off or tendered off with the first group. You are a fare paying guest and they will not stop you. In Russia, 55 people from the cruise criti group got off each moring with first group so they could catch there privater tours waiting on the pier. Our ships shorex to Moscow, had extra room and took a couple to the airport to go to Moscow on there own. another trick I use is to get off the ship the last day with first group is to tell them I have a private flight out XYZ airport "ASAP" You get the white lugggage tags instead of your normal tags.

Just looked at available cabins this morning for my cruise and discovered they lowered the airfare to $200.00/ person one way. I will be off the ship with 1st group. I tell them that I have a private flight out of the nearest airport, ASAP, (look up the name in my database, I am a pilot). They then give my 1st off luggage tags at the pursers desk. We have a private tour of the area from Valpariso to Santiago, which if my memeory serves me right is around 60 miles between them, flights out of South America are usually after 6pm.

Al

Archived