Home from Freeport

Sooner-Cruisers

We just visited Freeport. We got off the ship and there were some tourist shops, a bar or two, locals offering excursions, and a taxi area. We had our 3 year old with us, so we also had her car seat. They acted a little put out by it, but all the vans had seat belts and it took no time at all to install. We paid full fare for her, $10 round trip each to get to Grand Lucayan.

It was a fairly long drive to the beach, 20 minutes, I'd guess. We entered the wrong side of the resort, so we missed the guard stand where you pay and get wristbands. It took a little time to get all that figured out. The hotel grounds seemed nice.

We spent most our time on the beach. There were basically three rows of seating, the furthest from the water was the seats under the umbrellas, the next row had some smaller palapa type umbrellas, and the closest was just loungers with no shade. Unfortunately, there was no shaded seating near the water and you could not move the umbrellas. There was also a lot of smoking everywhere, including on the beach.

The sand was white and really deep, the water was pretty. There was only 2-3 vendors with jewelry and they weren't pushy at all. They also had people offering water sports (parasailing, etc.) They had lifeguards, but they seemed more like workers that kind of kept an eye out. I saw them cleaning up trash, stacking loungers, etc.

If you have a kid between 30-50 pounds, I highly recommend the puddle jumper life jacket. They are great and the kids don't mind them at all.

We headed back to the taxi area, it was crowded and they seemed in no hurry at all. You could feel the nerves of passengers hoping we were going to make it back in time. There was no line of vans like most of us envisioned. We made it back, but definitely leave a time cushion.

On the taxi ride back, some expressed disappointment with the water. It was clear and pretty, but not picture perfect. There was some sea grass type stuff floating around, but it wasn't slimy seaweed. If you have realistic expectations, you won't be disappointed.

*a final note bring lots of sunscreen and reapply often! Even better get a swim shirt, the sun is brutal. I spent lots of time under the umbrella and had sunscreen on and still got a sunburn. We got so much sun, we stayed on board and missed Nassau the next day. It just hurt to be in the sun. :(