Do I book NCL over Carnival for 3/6 yr old? Nickelodeon questions..

aainsjen

I have cruised many times, took our first cruise on Carnival Sunshine this past February with my 2 boys, who both HATED Camp Carnival. I think my 5 year old hated it because he had to be stuck in the same age group with the 2-3 year olds, regardless.... we said we wouldn't travel with them again until they were older...but I really want to try the NCL line ( which this will be our first). I have a few questions:

Which NCL ships have the Nick characters? I've read these boards and haven't found any real reviews from parents about there overall experience? Ive read rooms are smaller, we tend to just get a balcony room.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Which NCL ships have the Nick characters? I've read these boards and haven't found any real reviews from parents about there overall experience? Ive read rooms are smaller, we tend to just get a balcony room.

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Here is a very recent review I wrote regarding the Gem and various aged kids:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501035&et_cid=2091656&et_rid=17307742&et_referrer=

I hope it helps a little.

Also, NCL has announced that it is ending the NCL/Nick relationship. You should check into that if you feel that is a part of what is motivating your move to NCL. My kids enjoyed the Nick elements, but not enough for us to make a decision based on that part of the overall cruise experience.

I took my 3 and 6 year olds on the Jewel in March.

The Nick stuff...I think Spongebob visited a couple of times, as did Dora, but it wasnt really all that much official Nick involvement. We did not go to any of the character meet and greets. They did get the Nick bedtime kits and love the nightlights.

My 3 yo LOVED the kids club and is still asking when we're going on the boat again. My 6 yo wasnt as enthused about it (he's really not enthused about many group activities unless they're video game based, however), because he was in the "big kids" (6-9) group and he felt like he could never win the games because the 9 year olds were much bigger.

They did have fun in the pirate parade/treasure hunt, and in the circus show (3 yo was a tiger, 6 yo did rope tricks) and my 3 yo LOVED the princess parade.

I forget how Camp Carnival works, as it's been years since my oldest (now 21) went, but on NCL, the kids club does close during lunch and dinner on sea days. And if you want them to stay on ship in port, there is a charge for meals. Plus, if your 3 yo isnt 100% potty independent/reliable, then someone has to stay on board also (2 accidents are allowed, then its either pullups or get excused from the program for the rest of the trip).

Overall, it was good. They usually stayed until 10:30 when the kids club closed.

As for the rooms, we had a mini-suite and it was CRAMPED, especially when we were stuck in it at the 3 yos naptime. Very little room to move. We booked a 2 BR family suite for our next cruise because of this.

Edited by Starflyr3

Here is a very recent review I wrote regarding the Gem and various aged kids:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=501035&et_cid=2091656&et_rid=17307742&et_referrer=

I hope it helps a little.

Also, NCL has announced that it is ending the NCL/Nick relationship. You should check into that if you feel that is a part of what is motivating your move to NCL. My kids enjoyed the Nick elements, but not enough for us to make a decision based on that part of the overall cruise experience.

I didn't hear that this is official. Where did you get this information and do you know when? We are booked for the Breakaway in October.

To the OP- My daughter was 5 when we did the Nickelodeon at Sea program in 2011 on the Jewel. My daughter really enjoyed it and loved the Kids Crew programs. The Breakaway offers the program as well as the Gem, Epic, Jewel and Getaway.

Here is a link that will better help:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/nickelodeon

I have yet to hear anything official about NCL dropping Nickelodeon. I have just heard a rumor that someone posted who "knows someone". They are building Escape as we speak and boast a TMNT mini-golf course. So I am a bit skeptical, especially since there hasn't been a official announcement....yet.

NCL does not mix 6 and older kids with the 3-5 yr olds. They do sometimes mix the 10-12 yr olds with the 6-9 yr olds when there are less kids on ship but they don't put the real little ones with the big kids. Whatever you decide, have fun.

I didn't hear that this is official. Where did you get this information and do you know when? We are booked for the Breakaway in October.

Here is a link that will better help:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/nickelodeon

Exactly. There has not been anything official or any kind of "Announcement". Someone posted something a few weeks back that they heard something, from someone, who knows someone that knows something.... And now people are saying "oh NCL just announced... Blah blah blah". Have fun on the Breakaway. We are counting 499 days until we board the Escape.

I admit, I only read it here... and then never really thought more about it because my kids are aging out of that program anyway.

For those with young kids - I hope it isn't true. It did add elements of fun for the young ones, and did not interfere with the enjoyment of the many adults on board. They have Meet & Greets (not the best activity); colouring sessions; little dances by the pool and the always crazy Pajama Jam.

Sorry if I've disseminated incorrect info. I hope the relationship is still standing!!