Dieting before your cruise

deadmoney

Thank you! For the last hour I have been trying to talk myself into going for a swim and I'm not winning....lol. I have a long day ahead of me and I'm afraid it will wear me out too much. Exercise is much harder than the dieting and I don't do it as often as I should.

I've already been shopping for my new cruise clothes so I don't want to lose too much more before we go. I figure if the size bought fits a little loose, I can fill it out a little and they'll still fit when I get home...lol.

For me, the dieting part is the hardest part. I love to work out, but I also love to eat. That's my biggest challenge for sure.

I am at my ideal weight and cruise in about 6 weeks, so I'm trying to create a deficit.

I don't want to feel like I *have* to go to the gym or for a run, and I don't want to have to deal with the aftermath post-cruise, so the sensible solution is to board the ship with a 3-5 pound deficit :D

I'm a vegetarian so my onboard food options are limited and the damage to my figure will be less than if I ate meat, I'm sure.

Edited by ExpatBride

I am at my ideal weight and cruise in about 6 weeks, so I'm trying to create a deficit.

I don't want to feel like I *have* to go to the gym or for a run, and I don't want to have to deal with the aftermath post-cruise, so the sensible solution is to board the ship with a 3-5 pound deficit :D

I'm a vegetarian so my onboard food options are limited and the damage to my figure will be less than if I ate meat, I'm sure.

Hi! I always try to do the same thing, thinking I could break even or at least not be as much above my usual weight as I would have been without losing a few first. Just try not to stress too much, and don't do anything extreme as far as dieting. I've done that in the last before a big vacation and ended up gaining even more, putting me at the same weight I would have been had I not dieted before. So for example, let's say I'm normally 135 and gain 7 pounds on a cruise, that would put me at 142 when I get home. But I went down to 132 pre-cruise via dieting and ended up gaining 10 pounds on my cruise instead, because I was so careful and strict beforehand that once I started eating what I wanted on a cruise, even more weight came on and I ended up the same weight I would have been if I didn't diet beforehand. Does that make sense?

I'm also not sure if not eating meat translates to less weight gain. It really depends on the foods you consume while onboard, but only you know which foods you would most likely choose. If you eat a lot of breads, pastas and desserts, you wouldn't necessarily gain less than if you weren't a vegetarian. If you tend to go for fruits, veggies and salads more than the average meat eater because of being vegetarian, then yes, you would end up gaining less weight for sure! :)

I'm also not sure if not eating meat translates to less weight gain. It really depends on the foods you consume while onboard, but only you know which foods you would most likely choose. If you eat a lot of breads, pastas and desserts, you wouldn't necessarily gain less than if you weren't a vegetarian. If you tend to go for fruits, veggies and salads more than the average meat eater because of being vegetarian, then yes, you would end up gaining less weight for sure! :)

I've lost 40+lbs. and maintained it for over 15 years, so I know a thing or two about food choices :p

I've also gotten advance copies of the ship's menus, and the MDR veggie choices look pretty dire, so fewer options = less temptation. I'm not much of a sweets person, so my main worry is the unlimited supply of french fries :D

I've lost 40+lbs. and maintained it for over 15 years, so I know a thing or two about food choices :p

I've also gotten advance copies of the ship's menus, and the MDR veggie choices look pretty dire, so fewer options = less temptation. I'm not much of a sweets person, so my main worry is the unlimited supply of french fries :D

Congratulations on your weight loss, and even more congratulations on maintaining it for so many years! The maintenance part is the bigger challenge of the two, and something you should be very proud of. :)

You will be fine since you know how to make the correct choices already and you're going in with a positive attitude about that. There is always fresh fruit available during the day at the buffet to snack on, as well as salads. In addition to the richer foods they do have a lot of healthier choices. I get tempted by things like breads and sweets and there's so much of that stuff! The danish at breakfast always gets me, and I know going in that I'm going to gain a few pounds on my cruise but have always just gone right back to Weight Watchers as soon as I get home and the weight gain comes off. Which cruise ship are you going on?

Congratulations on your weight loss, and even more congratulations on maintaining it for so many years! The maintenance part is the bigger challenge of the two, and something you should be very proud of. :)

Which cruise ship are you going on?

I'm cruising the Norwegian Fjords on the Norwegian Star. I'm not too impressed with the menus and would've preferred Celebrity or HAL, but NCL was the best fit itinerary and date wise.

I'm cruising the Norwegian Fjords on the Norwegian Star. I'm not too impressed with the menus and would've preferred Celebrity or HAL, but NCL was the best fit itinerary and date wise.

Sounds like a great cruise for sure! We're going on the Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda in July and can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I am about three weeks out from my next cruise and am trying really hard to get my "precruise diet" started! I have gym clothes in the car for after work today so I have made some progress. :P

This cruise is just a short 3 day repo cruise from San Diego to Vancouver so I am hoping to actually get to the gym while on board since we have no stops this time.

We are Sailing on 5/9 on Sunshine

I'm down 5 lbs now(193) and hope to drop another 3-4

At 6' I like to stay around 180-185

Update:

We leave Saturday and I'm down to 186, so only a pound or so to go.

Gotta make room for that chocolate melting cake;)

Update:

Great job!! Have a fantastic time on your cruise :) I've heard the WCMC is great with the coconut ice cream. I can't wait to try it myself.

Update:

Excellent,congrats and enjoy your cruise which is today!!

I love the chocolate melting cake. I had it every night on our cruise in 2013,even if I wanted to try another dessert. On those nights I took like 2 bites of the other dessert and just had the melting cake because it was sooooooo delicious! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I am so glad that I found this thread. I am looking for some support in my pre-cruise weight loss journey. In the past, I have had no issues staying focused when trying to loose weight, especially if I had a vacation planned. This year is a different story :confused:. I have tried for weeks now to get this diet started and each time I fall right off the wagon. I know that I have put on some weight and would like to loss at least 10 pounds. I know it is possible since I have 68 days till vacation. So I am going to buckle down this time and make it work. Wish me luck :).

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Everyone,

I am so glad that I found this thread. I am looking for some support in my pre-cruise weight loss journey. In the past, I have had no issues staying focused when trying to loose weight, especially if I had a vacation planned. This year is a different story :confused:. I have tried for weeks now to get this diet started and each time I fall right off the wagon. I know that I have put on some weight and would like to loss at least 10 pounds. I know it is possible since I have 68 days till vacation. So I am going to buckle down this time and make it work. Wish me luck :).

Hi! Just think about where you'd like to be at that point, vs. saying "I could have..."

That usually helps me. Also, if you feel you fall off the wagon, which we all do sometimes because we're human, just move on at the very next snack or meal. Instead of telling yourself that the whole day/week/weekend is ruined so you will just forget it and start again tomorrow/Monday/next week. The sooner you hop back on the wagon, the better off you'll be and the happier you'll be too! :)