dumb question for Mr.Barbados or other expert

Momto5boys

I haven't done the bus or shuttle in years, but here's what I remember (you great islanders jump in here and correct me!)...

The public bus looks like this:

barbados-bus1.JPG

It runs about every 30 minutes and costs US$.75.

The ZR vans, or private shuttles run.....every 5-45 minutes cost US$1.00 and look like this:

zr-van.JPG

Before we had a car, we always took public transport. Great fun! And cheap, too!

They sometimes get crowded and noisy, especially in the late afternoon. The shuttles are simply wild, so if you're faint-of-heart, don't get on them! Driving across lawns and curbs is standard practice!

With a couple of Mt. Gay Rums under your belt...It's a ball!

Enjoy! :) :) :)

There are several types of transport around here.

Government Transport Board Buses (big blue with yellow stripe), Mini-busses )medium to large size yellow buses with blue stripe) and ZR vans (small white vans with burgandy/maroon strip seating 10-15 passengers). They all cost the same amount of money if you have exact change, BBD$1.50 / US$0.75 but none will except the US Coins so if you are paying dollars it's US$1.00 (at the moment.. the rates may go up any second).

They all are required to pick up and drop-off at the same designated spots, poles with red circles at the top they say "To City" or "Out of City". That means either into Bridgetown proper (you will end up at one of 2 bus "terminals" on either end of the city depending on where you picked up the bus or out of Bridgetown, to the rest of the island. The mini buses and ZR pickup just about where they want, and are more crowded and loud.

There of course are Taxi's.. and from the port there is a shuttle into Bridgetown (I think it's still there) and I think that one might be free if you are at port or it might be BBD$1.00/US$0.50.

I hope that explains it.. and I hope I have gotten it right..

The buses are fun.. but just be careful. They are signes on most of the buses saying where they are going, but as a tourist you need to ask the driver if they are going to a specific location cause you likely will not have a clue where they sign says your going.

have fun

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks to both of you for your insight. If I want to go to Mullins Beach, which shoud I take (shuttle/bus/minibus)? Will the signs say "Mullins Beach" or something else? Thanks again!

--------------------

Any of those will take you to Mullins.

As I remember, The busses will be marked 'out of town' or Speightstown.

Mullins is just below Speightstown. Tell the driver when you get on where you want to go and he'll drop you off close to the beach.

Remember, you'll be standing on the road closest to the water, or dock, when you want to catch transport North (Speightstown / Mullins) and on the opposite side to go South (back to the dock). The road is Spring Garden Hwy and is a short walk from the pier. Ask the fellows in the Gatehouse which way to walk.

Not to fret...it's really an easy deal and everyone will be glad to assist you! :)

Thanks so much for you help. Can a person do some sightseeing by taking the bus or would we be better off getting a taxi? We have a group of nine (five kids) and so we won't all fit into a regular taxi. Are taxi vans easily available? If a bus/shuttle is a better option (for sightseeing) what stops would you recommend after we spend some time on Mullins beach?

Thanks again!

Archived